• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
A friend of ours caught it a few weeks ago. He went down quickly. Died 4 days after catching it. Mind you, he previously had a heart transplant and his body was not strong. But he would have still been here if it wasn't for covid.
Brian, my son Ty recently bought a decal to put on the back window of his tow truck in remembrance of his friend MJ who passed from covid.
Remember?
He was diabetic and overweight etc..
I'll find that post shortly and show you all.
He put it on Facebook.

Ironman

Our numbers are rising among our/MY residents.
We now have a covid unit again, which is something I truly thought was a thing of the past.
More staff members as well.
I still don't think there is a reason to panic, but we are being cautious.
That said, I picked up some shifts so I can be there to cover for the ones who've tested positive today.
I don't feel like a hero any longer.
I feel like a nurse who is doing her part until this damn thing goes away, which it never will.
Hang tough PG, and thank you! :flowers:
Retirement kicking your ass!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian..

20220817_185250.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just tested positive at 9:35 this evening.
Son of a bitch.
I can't say I feel sick, just weak.
😐😔
Hopefully you recover quickly and just end up with a mild case.

Co-founder of my fencing club, tested positive 11 days ago. Still positive and still symptomatic today. He was pretty sick for 4 days, now he says its just a nuisance. Still has a cough and congestion. During the worst of it his body ached badly, ran a modest fever (under 101), sore throat, etc.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the two initial vaccines and the one booster. I avoided covid until now. I got covid last month. Sept 20th symptoms started. My Dr. said that with this version of covid you are most contagious two days before the symptoms show. So maybe I had it on Sept 18th. Symptoms got progressively worse, horrible cough, headache, hard breathing and very weak. I went through two bottles of Vicks DayQuil sever cold and flu. It seemed to help some. My O2 level dropped to 90. I used a nebulizer but could not get O2 levels to stay up. So off to Urgent Care. They fixed me up with steroids and some antibiotics on Oct 1st. Both helped. By Thursday the 8th I felt better. I thought it was done, but it was not. I still had lesser versions of the head fog, cough and weakness. I tried to exercise and simply could not. Then the next day I felt worse than ever. Now Oct 14th the head fog is not as bad. Cough is gone. Still weak but better than before. Slow slow recovery.

Reading the below article I though my symptoms would qualify as 'long term covid'. Nope. Those are for folks with symptoms for over a month. Holy hell. I hope mine are about all gone but still afraid to exert myself to much. Taking it slow. The mental fog is a nightmare to me. The ole noggin just not functioning like you know it should. Never ever had anything like that before.

I feel for anyone with what they call long term covid.

Now scientists say 'exercise intolerance' should be considered a symptom of long Covid​

By CAITLIN TILLEY, HEALTH REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 12:27 EDT, 14 October 2022 | UPDATED: 12:33 EDT, 14 October 2022

Exercise 'intolerance' should be considered an official symptom of long Covid, scientists say.

A review of existing studies found the condition — which is still not fully understood — can rob people of the equivalent of a decade’s worth of physical fitness.

The finding adds to a long list of symptoms associated with long Covid — the name for signs of illness that linger months after a Coronavirus infection.

Previous studies have found headaches, fatigue and brain fog to be the most common ailments, but anecdotally people say they also struggle to exercise.

Working out if long Covid is the true culprit for these problems has proven tricky, given how commonplace these symptoms are.

Professor Matthew Durstenfeld, a cardiologist at the University of California in San Francisco, who led the new review, said there was definitely 'something going on'.

His team looked at endurance capacity in people with long Covid and compared them to people of similar ages who recovered from the virus.

They found long Covid sufferers performed worse, and had the stamina of someone a decade younger.

An estimated 16million Americans and 2million Britons have the condition - but medics are still split over the true number.

The new analysis focused on 464 people with long Covid and 359 without, aged between 39 and 56, involved in nine existing trials.

All participants undertook a test of their exercise capacity and heart rate on a treadmill or exercise bike.

Generally, those who had recovered from Covid could withstand a normal amount of exercise for their age.

Their heart rates could not reach the average rate expected during exercise, which would slow blood flow around the body.

During moderate exercise, an average heart rate should be between 90 and 126 beats per minute, and for vigorous exercise, it should be between 126 and 153.

And their muscles took less oxygen from the bloodstream than they usually would, which would hinder muscle contraction. Some people also hyperventilated.

Professor Durstenfeld said these are not normal reactions after someone has become out of shape after being ill.

Writing in the study, published in JAMA Network Open, the researchers described the symptom as 'exertional intolerance'.

Dr David Systrom, a lung expert at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, who was not involved with the study, reflected that individuals with long Covid may undergo molecular changes in their muscles, nerves and blood vessels.

This means their bodies may become less tolerant to the physical demands of exercise, even if they have nothing abnormal in their lungs or hearts.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that around eight percent of American adults are suffering from a form of long Covid.

It is near impossible to tell what chance a person has of developing it after Covid infection because of the massive underreporting of cases that has occurred since the Omicron variant emerged last year.

What is long Covid?​

Long Covid is an informal term, used to describe ongoing symptoms following a Covid infection that go on longer than four weeks, according to the ONS.
A dizzying array of symptoms have been attributed to long Covid, including:
  • extreme tiredness (fatigue)
  • shortness of breath
  • chest pain or tightness
  • problems with memory and concentration ('brain fog')
  • difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
  • heart palpitations
  • dizziness
  • pins and needles
  • joint pain
  • depression and anxiety
  • tinnitus, earaches
  • feeling sick, diarrhoea, stomach aches, loss of appetite
  • a high temperature, cough, headaches, sore throat, changes to sense of smell or taste
  • rashes
There is no cure for the condition, though treatments can ease symptoms.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I got the two initial vaccines and the one booster. I avoided covid until now. I got covid last month. Sept 20th symptoms started. My Dr. said that with this version of covid you are most contagious two days before the symptoms show. So maybe I had it on Sept 18th. Symptoms got progressively worse, horrible cough, headache, hard breathing and very weak. I went through two bottles of Vicks DayQuil sever cold and flu. It seemed to help some. My O2 level dropped to 90. I used a nebulizer but could not get O2 levels to stay up. So off to Urgent Care. They fixed me up with steroids and some antibiotics on Oct 1st. Both helped. By Thursday the 8th I felt better. I thought it was done, but it was not. I still had lesser versions of the head fog, cough and weakness. I tried to exercise and simply could not. Then the next day I felt worse than ever. Now Oct 14th the head fog is not as bad. Cough is gone. Still weak but better than before. Slow slow recovery.

Reading the below article I though my symptoms would qualify as 'long term covid'. Nope. Those are for folks with symptoms for over a month. Holy hell. I hope mine are about all gone but still afraid to exert myself to much. Taking it slow. The mental fog is a nightmare to me. The ole noggin just not functioning like you know it should. Never ever had anything like that before.

I feel for anyone with what they call long term covid.

Now scientists say 'exercise intolerance' should be considered a symptom of long Covid​

By CAITLIN TILLEY, HEALTH REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 12:27 EDT, 14 October 2022 | UPDATED: 12:33 EDT, 14 October 2022

Exercise 'intolerance' should be considered an official symptom of long Covid, scientists say.

A review of existing studies found the condition — which is still not fully understood — can rob people of the equivalent of a decade’s worth of physical fitness.

The finding adds to a long list of symptoms associated with long Covid — the name for signs of illness that linger months after a Coronavirus infection.

Previous studies have found headaches, fatigue and brain fog to be the most common ailments, but anecdotally people say they also struggle to exercise.

Working out if long Covid is the true culprit for these problems has proven tricky, given how commonplace these symptoms are.

Professor Matthew Durstenfeld, a cardiologist at the University of California in San Francisco, who led the new review, said there was definitely 'something going on'.

His team looked at endurance capacity in people with long Covid and compared them to people of similar ages who recovered from the virus.

They found long Covid sufferers performed worse, and had the stamina of someone a decade younger.

An estimated 16million Americans and 2million Britons have the condition - but medics are still split over the true number.

The new analysis focused on 464 people with long Covid and 359 without, aged between 39 and 56, involved in nine existing trials.

All participants undertook a test of their exercise capacity and heart rate on a treadmill or exercise bike.

Generally, those who had recovered from Covid could withstand a normal amount of exercise for their age.

Their heart rates could not reach the average rate expected during exercise, which would slow blood flow around the body.

During moderate exercise, an average heart rate should be between 90 and 126 beats per minute, and for vigorous exercise, it should be between 126 and 153.

And their muscles took less oxygen from the bloodstream than they usually would, which would hinder muscle contraction. Some people also hyperventilated.

Professor Durstenfeld said these are not normal reactions after someone has become out of shape after being ill.

Writing in the study, published in JAMA Network Open, the researchers described the symptom as 'exertional intolerance'.

Dr David Systrom, a lung expert at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, who was not involved with the study, reflected that individuals with long Covid may undergo molecular changes in their muscles, nerves and blood vessels.

This means their bodies may become less tolerant to the physical demands of exercise, even if they have nothing abnormal in their lungs or hearts.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that around eight percent of American adults are suffering from a form of long Covid.

It is near impossible to tell what chance a person has of developing it after Covid infection because of the massive underreporting of cases that has occurred since the Omicron variant emerged last year.

What is long Covid?​

Long Covid is an informal term, used to describe ongoing symptoms following a Covid infection that go on longer than four weeks, according to the ONS.
A dizzying array of symptoms have been attributed to long Covid, including:
  • extreme tiredness (fatigue)
  • shortness of breath
  • chest pain or tightness
  • problems with memory and concentration ('brain fog')
  • difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
  • heart palpitations
  • dizziness
  • pins and needles
  • joint pain
  • depression and anxiety
  • tinnitus, earaches
  • feeling sick, diarrhoea, stomach aches, loss of appetite
  • a high temperature, cough, headaches, sore throat, changes to sense of smell or taste
  • rashes
There is no cure for the condition, though treatments can ease symptoms.

Do you know which version of COVID you got?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you know which version of COVID you got?
The bad one. LOL
No clue. No idea how you tell. I tested with the home kit as did my wife. She got it first and had a mild case. I guess I got it from her and it got me good. We didn't test until Sep 26th. My lines were very dark. She had one dark and one light line. Whatever that means.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The bad one. LOL
No clue. No idea how you tell. I tested with the home kit as did my wife. She got it first and had a mild case. I guess I got it from her and it got me good. We didn't test until Sep 26th. My lines were very dark. She had one dark and one light line. Whatever that means.
We had the Delta version. Wife got tested in the hospital and it was on her paperwork. Delta real bad, Omnicron -2 not so bad. My son got it a couple months ago, I was talking with him in his car touching everything for 10 minutes, I don't know if I got but had no symptoms. Daughter got Omnicron-2 no Vax. very mild. I guess everyone gets it differently.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. The one thing I heard or read is that the immunity you have after having the virus is a whole lot better than the one you get from shots. I do hope that is true.

One symptom I still have that is 'weird'. My stomach is not right. feels sick. No other symptom with it. Very strange feeling. F'n chinese.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It went through our place last spring. We tested all 8 of us. Our foster daughter was the only one positive so we wisked her away into the front living room (we have two living rooms on the main floor and a recroom downstairs) and basically kept her isolated for 5 days. I tested her few times and she kept showing two lines. Her symptoms were mild though. Runny nose. Cough. Slight fever. No worse than the common cold. At the time, I presented sicker than she was but kept showing one line)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Neither the lovely Mrs_Bob nor myself have caught it (yet).

Thought we had it a few times, but kept testing negative.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife had runny nose sore, throat, and headaches, odd aches and pains earlier in the week she is feeling a little better now.
I got the same symptom's yesterday I'm drinking tee with honey for the throat maybe we ought to get tested?
We both have 3 of the shots.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife had runny nose sore, throat, and headaches, odd aches and pains earlier in the week she is feeling a little better now.
I got the same symptom's yesterday I'm drinking tee with honey for the throat maybe we ought to get tested?
We both have 3 of the shots.
Sounds like both of you have something, but neither of you have really serious symptoms.

If you think you have it, and want to seek special treatment, then get tested.

If you think you have it, and it's mild and you need no special treatment, then is there a reason other than personal curiosity for you to get tested? If you are involved in caring for an elderly person or sick person, that is a good reason for you to get tested because if you are positive you may have to isolate from them for several days to a week. If your symptoms get worse and you are in misery, that is a good reason to get tested.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like both of you have something, but neither of you have really serious symptoms.

If you think you have it, and want to seek special treatment, then get tested.

If you think you have it, and it's mild and you need no special treatment, then is there a reason other than personal curiosity for you to get tested? If you are involved in caring for an elderly person or sick person, that is a good reason for you to get tested because if you are positive you may have to isolate from them for several days to a week. If your symptoms get worse and you are in misery, that is a good reason to get tested.

We are the geriatric people in the house :(
I was planning going in to town Monday for other stuff and was thinking of picking up a couple kits then if we aren't improving.

tom

chowderman

there is a reason for early testing . . .
if you're in a (high) risk group, and you come down with one of the nasty versions, oral medications need to be started ASAP.
wait too long, the ....maybe I'll fee better tomorrow.... thing and oral treatments cannot cope with the full blown infection.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
It's time to end all U.S. Health bureaucracies, get government the hell out of our healthcare. End the Bayh-Dole Act that allows criminals like Anthony Fauci to use our tax dollars to develop Gain of function weaponized viruses to infect us, to patent that very agent, and to create vaccine countermeasures for them and patent that too. The Bayh-Dole Act facilitates this incestuous relationship between U.S. Health/Science figures and Big Pharma.

Lets trust the Bureaucrats, we all know they know best.:hammer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CEO of Moderna broke ranks with the CDC and other health professionals. Moderna recommends that only people "at risk" and older people get Covid booster shots. This is a major departure from the party line. Basically if you are healthy, Moderna says you don't really need a booster.

Many of us have made this same sort of statement, at least during the past 12 months as mutations have been milder. Why does a healthy 5 year old, 18 year old or 40 year old, who has no real risk, have to take a shot? Moderna is now firmly in the camp of those who say it is unnecessary and yet, Moderna makes one of the safest/best Covid vaccines in the world.