• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

UberBastid

Yawn.
The last time I got covid (I am almost 70) I was sick for two weeks. It sucked. I felt AWFUL.
Then I got well.

THEN my grandkids family got it (about two weeks ago)... They were sick, felt like shit. Laid around for a week. Got well.

THEN my friend who had JUST donated a kidney (two months ago) to her son got it. Doctors jumped ALL OVER THAT SHIT. Gave her a cockatiel of anti viral drugs and ... she felt like shit for a week and got over it.

NOBODY DIED.

Tell me .. how concerned should I be about getting this bug ... now ...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yawn.
The last time I got covid (I am almost 70) I was sick for two weeks. It sucked. I felt AWFUL.
Then I got well.

THEN my grandkids family got it (about two weeks ago)... They were sick, felt like shit. Laid around for a week. Got well.

THEN my friend who had JUST donated a kidney (two months ago) to her son got it. Doctors jumped ALL OVER THAT SHIT. Gave her a cockatiel of anti viral drugs and ... she felt like shit for a week and got over it.

NOBODY DIED.

Tell me .. how concerned should I be about getting this bug ... now ...
As I have said, pretty consistently for most of the duration of this disease, if you are in one of the "risk" groups then you should be very concerned but if you are not a high risk person then statistics show it will pass and you will recover.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Up here, companies and organizations that were essentially firing people for not getting the vaccines are now lifting the vaccination requirements in order to work there or participate in group activities such as scouts and other organized activities for kids. Makes me wonder how effective the vaccines are. We are all vaccinated. Covid still went through our home. Our friends down the street are anti vaxers. Covid went through their house. Their symptoms were no worse than ours.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
I am 82 years old and had Covid last year. I had no vaccines nor will I. It seems to be a political stunt for the vaccines. Who is paying for them? Why do all the vaccinated ones get Covid? Masks do not work yet we were told that we had to wear them. My only symptom from Covid is lack of taste. With some of the food that I eat, that isnt too bad!!! Have a goodun!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . Makes me wonder how effective the vaccines are. We are all vaccinated. Covid still went through our home. Our friends down the street are anti vaxers. Covid went through their house. Their symptoms were no worse than ours.
My brother and sister-in-law both work in a hospital. Their personal observations are that the NON-vaccinated tended to get sicker and more often. They tended to end up in the hospital at higher rates.

But remember, 95% of the people, vaccinated or not, recovered without any issues. The 5% that needed treatment of some sort tended to skew to the NON-Vax'd being in worse shape. This was especially true with the original Covid up through the Delta strain. High risk people were, and remain, the real group who are vulnerable.

I know people who died. I know people who barely knew they had it at all.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I know people who died. I know people who barely knew they had it at all.

... and I know people who are still suffering from the after affects two years after catching it.

I know people who have been vaxed, boosted twice and still caught COVID, some of them twice. I am one of the high-risk people but unless someone can prove to my satisfaction that the vaccine works on the latest variants, my vaxing days are over. If the numbers start to rise again in my area, I'll rely on isolation to keep me safe ... and vitamin D.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... unless someone can prove to my satisfaction that the vaccine works on the latest variants, my vaxing days are over. If the numbers start to rise again in my area, I'll rely on isolation to keep me safe ... and vitamin D.
The numbers are rising everywhere for cases. Deaths are actually dropping as a % of cases. So it appears that variants BA.4 and BA.5 are even less less fatal, but hospitalizations are up, ventilator use is also up. Seems like "Long Covid" cases are up too.

There is zero evidence that I can find that says the vaccines do anything for the newest variants.

There is a LOT of GOOD evidence that the original vaccine saved a lot of lives and also reduced the illness severity in millions of people. That evidence is lacking with the new variants.

chowderman

the "new" variants are also much less "lethal" than the original developed by Dr. Fauci & Co.
a virus that is hugely lethal becomes ineffective - because dead hosts do not spread disease . . .

harken ye back to the beginning:
China: not to worry Part 1, this is only dangerous to the elderly and immuno-compromised.
China: not to worry Part 2, this cannot be transmitted from human to human.

it has been a huge pack of lies from Day Zero.

since the recent Covid variants are insufficiently fatal, we now are headed into a Monkey Pox Pandemic, in order to mail in hundreds of thousands of unverified votes.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
the "new" variants are also much less "lethal" than the original developed by Dr. Fauci & Co.
a virus that is hugely lethal becomes ineffective - because dead hosts do not spread disease . . .

harken ye back to the beginning:
China: not to worry Part 1, this is only dangerous to the elderly and immuno-compromised.
China: not to worry Part 2, this cannot be transmitted from human to human.

it has been a huge pack of lies from Day Zero.

since the recent Covid variants are insufficiently fatal, we now are headed into a Monkey Pox Pandemic, in order to mail in hundreds of thousands of unverified votes.
Well we're just taking precautions.
By the way, tested twice myself last night and the beginning of my shift and then again this morning.
Neg!

Negx2_762308301689029.jpeg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Son got it again a couple weeks ago, not vaxed, sore throat and some fatigue for a few days. Daughter got it for the first time a couple weeks ago 38 years old not vaxed 30-40# overweight. congestion and fatigue for a few days. I was exposed to my son, talking closely for 10 minutes inside a vehicle he drove all day and I touched everything. Nothing. That said about a month ago I felt extra tired for a week or so and chalked it up to working too much, I may have had it then?? Not the same experience as when we had the Delta last year. That one was rough.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Marty, this variant is milder, but it's very fast spreading.
Our first resident to test positive in months was one of our ladies who had been in the hospital long term and ended up on a vent.
She's sick to be sure, but nothing like before.
It was astounding how rapidly this one just took off within 1 day.
Last I heard we are now at 18 residents and 9 staff.
Yeah, it's like a viscous head cold in a lot of ways.
No panic, we're simply being cautious.

UberBastid

As of last evening up until the last hour or so, a dozen residents and 5 staff members have tested positive.
This variant isn't playing around.
Vaxxed or not, it's spreading rapidly.
So what?
Tested positive for a bug that gives you the sniffles, a low grade fever?
BFD.

I had Covid for breakfast - was good with brown sugar.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So what?
Tested positive for a bug that gives you the sniffles, a low grade fever?
BFD.

I had Covid for breakfast - was good with brown sugar.

Covid is a mild illness for many.

It is life threatening for many others.

To dismiss it is potentially fatal. And clearly many have died from it.

This thread is not to discuss the myths about it, but rather to discuss the real problems. Most people recover, but we are seeing a lot of long haul problems and there is still a lot we don't know about long term effects.

Let's try to keep this thread civil, we are not in the DEBATE areas.

Good friend of mine, 67, is miserable with Covid right now. I know young professionals who had long haul covid and were unable to conintue their careers. I have many friends who lost loved ones. I have friends who are care givers in nursing homes, one of is a therapist in a veterans home ... these are people who see people get sick and die daily from covid.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
the "new" variants are also much less "lethal" than the original ...
Please define 'much less "lethal'" in quantitative terms that matter to at risk populations like the very people that P.G. has in her care home.

Seems to me it is less lethal to the average population but spreads far more quickly.

The at risk populations are still very much at risk.

So since 1) people are acting carelessly around the at risk population, 2) the dominant BA.5 variant spreads far more easily, 3) the at risk populations still die at high rates.

Major risk factors: Diabetes, over weight/obesity, Vitamin D deficiency, pulmonary diseases, autoimmune issues...

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I would think as a comparison, anyone that would be at high risk for Pneumonia would also still be a high risk for the BA5

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would think as a comparison, anyone that would be at high risk for Pneumonia would also still be a high risk for the BA5
YES and NO

If you are high risk of death for pneumonia then you are probably at a high risk of death for BA.5. So in that part of the comparison we are in agreement.

BUT, it is very difficult to get pneumonia from another person, we don't spread it to each other. BA.5 is very transmissible and consequently if people are not vary careful around high risk individuals they can have a mild case, but spread it to someone who will suffer greatly if they catch it. So the SPREADING issue is where the comparison to Pneumonia is not valid.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
YES and NO

If you are high risk of death for pneumonia then you are probably at a high risk of death for BA.5. So in that part of the comparison we are in agreement.

BUT, it is very difficult to get pneumonia from another person, we don't spread it to each other. BA.5 is very transmissible and consequently if people are not vary careful around high risk individuals they can have a mild case, but spread it to someone who will suffer greatly if they catch it. So the SPREADING issue is where the comparison to Pneumonia is not valid.
Didn't mention spreading because I know its highly contagious, point is if Pneumonia would be a bad thing for someone then I believe BA5 would also be a problem.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I think it can be so mild for some that you don't even know you had it. Like Bob said its highly transmissible. That why when my son got it and I was in direct contact in a closed space, I didn't get it. My Daughter got it a couple weeks ago in the same house with grand daughter and son in law, they didn't get it. OR at some point recently they did get it but didn't know it??

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it can be so mild for some that you don't even know you had it. Like Bob said its highly transmissible. That why when my son got it and I was in direct contact in a closed space, I didn't get it. My Daughter got it a couple weeks ago in the same house with grand daughter and son in law, they didn't get it. OR at some point recently they did get it but didn't know it??
It is very possible that they had it and did not know it.

I had a moderate sore throat for a week at the start of August. No other symptoms. Didn't ever think it was possible it could have been Covid. Still don't know if it was Covid. But I was talking to a doctor who said that it probably was a mild case of Covid. I was exposed to it, along with another guy at the fencing club, he is still home sick, but getting better.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
That said when I was in Washington a month or so ago I had 3-4 days where I felt tired and chalked it up to a 7 day work schedule. Yesterday I had a sore throat all day and no other symptoms and its gone today. The local school here was close last week due to an outbreak. I am now thinking I am getting it and beating it back before it takes hold?? I have no other explanation.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly I have no clue if you are beating it back. I don't know if I had it. Despite what the doctor said, I still doubt that I had it because I was able to exercise, take long walks, wasn't fatigued, no headaches, no joint pains, etc.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly I have no clue if you are beating it back. I don't know if I had it. Despite what the doctor said, I still doubt that I had it because I was able to exercise, take long walks, wasn't fatigued, no headaches, no joint pains, etc.
Same with my son and daughter. only the concern for others kept them down. Both said they could have worked no problem. A little fatigue, nothing like Delta last year for us. Its still amazes me that the results from getting it can be so wildly different, depending on co morbidities or??

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . the results from getting it can be so wildly different, depending on co morbidities or??
I think, but can't prove, that Vitamin D levels are a huge factor in how the body reacts to Covid.

There is a lot of data that shows that areas with lots of natural sunshine (1 key source of Vitamin D) have lower rates of complications, lower rates of deaths (adjusted for co-morbidities & age), etc. Some hospitals were tracking people who came in with Covid and in blood tests noted that people with high levels of "D" in their blood had fewer complications and less severe outcomes. But none of those are studies, all are just observational.

UberBastid

Maybe that's why it is tearing thru the middle east right now.
I hear their women have trouble with D deficiency because they have to be covered head to toe and are not getting any sunlight to their skin.
That would possibly make them more sensitive to The China Virus.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Our numbers are rising among our/MY residents.
We now have a covid unit again, which is something I truly thought was a thing of the past.
More staff members as well.
I still don't think there is a reason to panic, but we are being cautious.
That said, I picked up some shifts so I can be there to cover for the ones who've tested positive today.
I don't feel like a hero any longer.
I feel like a nurse who is doing her part until this damn thing goes away, which it never will.