Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

When the government tells me I don't need to worry, then I tend to think I really do need to be concerned. But at least one report is quoting some US health officials as saying there is no need for US citizens to worry.

We know there are 4 cases in the USA, 1 case in Canada.

The Canadian case is a man who arrived sick and is in the hospital in Toronto. Canadian health officials seemed to imply that they have probably contacted all the at risk people who may have been in contact with the Chinese national on the inbound flight.

In the US, there is 1 confirmed case in Washington State, 1 in Chicago, 2 in California. I believe all the cases are foreign nationals.

China has QUARANTINED roughly 60 MILLION PEOPLE by cutting off 16 (or more) cities. The epicenter is Wuhan, a city of 11 Million people, but the quarantine was put into place after roughly 5 million people left the city for the Lunar New Year celebration, which is the heaviest travel time in China and typically has more than 100,000,000 people traveling nationally + internationally for the week long holiday period.

Official sources say there are under 2000 cases worldwide, and approximately 50 deaths. The disease is being compared to the Spanish Flu, which killed millions just about 100 years ago, but this is considered far more dangerous.

UN-official sources suggest that at least 100,000 cases exist and the disease is spreading and mutating very quickly.

REUTERS SUMMARY:
http://news.trust.org/item/20200126105121-12mxo

China scrambles to contain 'strengthening' virus
(Adds comments from mayor of Wuhan)

* Coronavirus' transmission ability getting stronger

* Incubation 1-14 days, infectious during incubation

* China confirms 1,975 people infected, 56 dead

* U.S. to evacuate diplomatic staff, citizens from Wuhan

* China imposes temporary nationwide ban on sale of wildlife

By Gabriel D. Crossley and Cheng Leng

BEIJING/SHANGHAI, Jan 26 (Reuters) - The ability of the new coronavirus to spread is strengthening and infections could continue to rise, China's National Health Commission said on Sunday, with more than 2,000 people in China infected and 56 killed by the disease.

Health authorities around the world are racing to prevent a pandemic after a handful of cases of infection were reported outside China, including in Thailand, Australia, the United States and France.

The mayor of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, said he expected another 1,000 new patients in the city, which was stepping up construction of special hospitals.

The newly identified coronavirus has created alarm because much about it is still unknown, such as how dangerous it is and how easily it spreads between people. It can cause pneumonia, which has been deadly in some cases.

China's National Health Commission Minister Ma Xiaowei said the incubation period for the virus can range from one to 14 days, during which infection can occur, which was not the case with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

SARS was a coronavirus that originated in China and killed nearly 800 people globally in 2002 and 2003.

"According to recent clinical information, the virus' ability to spread seems to be getting somewhat stronger," Ma told reporters.

The Lunar New Year holiday, traditionally celebrated by hundreds of millions of Chinese travelling around the country and abroad to see family, began on Friday but has been severely disrupted by the outbreak.

Ma said China would intensify its containment efforts, which have so far included transportation and travel curbs and the cancellation of big events.

The country may extend the week-long Lunar New Year holiday, state broadcaster CCTV reported, citing a meeting hosted by Chinese premier Li Keqiang.

The virus, believed to have originated late last year in a seafood market in Wuhan that was illegally selling wildlife, has spread to cities including Beijing and Shanghai. Hong Kong has six confirmed cases.

The World Health Organisation this week stopped short of calling the outbreak a global health emergency, but some health experts question whether China can contain the epidemic.

Chinese President Xi Jinping described the situation as "grave" on Saturday.

China confirmed 2,051 cases of infection as of 7 p.m. (1100 GMT) on Jan. 26, while the death toll from the virus remained at 56, state broadcaster CCTV reported.

Health officials in Orange County, California, reported that a third case had been registered in the United States in a traveller from Wuhan, who was in isolation and in good condition.

On Saturday, Canada declared a first "presumptive" confirmed case in a resident who had returned from Wuhan. Australia confirmed its first four cases.

No fatalities have been reported outside China.

WILDLIFE SALES BAN

On Sunday, China temporarily banned nationwide the sale of wildlife in markets, restaurants, and e-commerce platforms. Wild and often poached animals packed together in Chinese markets are blamed as incubators for viruses to evolve and jump the species barrier to humans.

Snakes, peacocks, crocodiles and other species can also be found for sale via Taobao, an e-commerce website run by Alibaba.

The New York-based Wildlife Conservation Society called on China to make the ban permanent.

The U.S. State Department said it will relocate personnel at its Wuhan consulate to the United States, while Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said his government was working with China to arrange a charter flight for Japanese nationals to return from Wuhan.

The outbreak has prompted widening curbs on movements within China, with Wuhan, a city of 11 million, on virtual lockdown and transport links all-but severed except for emergency vehicles.

CANCELLATIONS AND MISTRUST

Health authorities in Beijing urged people not to shake hands but instead salute using a traditional cupped-hand gesture. The advice was sent in a text message that went out to mobile phone users in the city on Sunday morning.

Beijing also postponed the reopening of the city's schools and universities after the Lunar New Year holiday, state radio reported. Hong Kong had already delayed the reopening of schools to Feb. 17.

China has called for transparency in managing the crisis, after a cover-up of the spread of the SARS virus eroded public trust, but officials in Wuhan have been criticised for their handling of the current outbreak.

"People in my hometown all suspect the real infected patients number given by authorities," said Violet Li, who lives in the Wuhan district where the seafood market is located.

Illustrating the extend of disruption to life in China, overall passenger travel declined by nearly 29% on Saturday, the first day of the Lunar New Year, from a year earlier, with air passengers down nearly 42%, a transportation ministry official said.

Many cinemas across China were closed with major film premieres postponed.

Cruise operators including Royal Caribbean Cruises, and Costa Cruises said they had cancelled a combined 12 cruises that had been scheduled to embark from Chinese ports before Feb. 2.

Hong Kong Disneyland and the city's Ocean Park were closed on Sunday. Shanghai Disneyland, which expected 100,000 visitors daily through the holiday period, has already closed.

Airports around the world have stepped up screening of passengers from China, although some health officials and experts have questioned the effectiveness of these efforts.

I did end up having a reaction to the second Covid vaccine shot. On the day of the shot I felt just fine. I woke up on Tuesday morning feeling definitely "off color". I had a slight headache, I was cold and shivery all day even though the outside temperature was in the mid '60s and I was very tired but my temperature was close to normal. It did feel a little bit like the start of the flu. I took 2 Tylenol PM and went to bed early. I woke up at 02:30 absolutely soaked in sweat. I got changed and cleaned up and went back to sleep. This morning everything is just dandy. A quick shower and I feel fine. I guess that I had a low grade fever that broke during the night.

It's strange because a friend down in Conroe, Texas had the same reaction only his temperature soared to over 100° and he spent one night in hospital.

Another 60 cases reported for today and one death. We're not going in the right direction.
Meanwhile here in Indiana our cases are dropping. Hospitalizations are dropping. Deaths are dropping.

We are approximately 550,000 residents with 2 doses of the vaccine in their arms. And roughly 950,000 with 1 dose.

Each of our counties are rated on a scale of 0, 1, 2 or 3 for severity of Covid. 3 being the worst. My county, which is one of the most populated in the state, was dropped to to a "1" for Covid. The county south of me, which is fully rural, is now dropped to a "0" for Covid.

One bit of personal bad news with Covid is that there was an outbreak on the Notre Dame Fencing Team this week. Some idiot kids went out and celebrated Sunday night after the ND team beat the Northwestern Univ team. They caught Covid and brought it back to the team and spread it around. The team was supposed to fly to the ACC Fencing Championships this morning. I got a call from Dasha early this morning about 7:30. She was all packed up and heading to leave campus to go to the airport with the team and they got a text from their coach. They withdrew from the competition due to Covid. Dasha was exposed through the teammates but she was NOT one who went out, she did not test positive but the tracing data shows she is at risk. Notre Dame was heavily favored to WIN the TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE, and heavily favored to win 4 of the 6 individual titles. Dasha had a pretty strong chance of winning the national title for the ACC for Women's Saber.

Part of the problem is the availability of the vaccine up here. They're still working on immunization for essential workers and seniors. They're all excited about reporting a clinic that will handle 500 people a day for vaccinations. With a population base of 150000 people in the area, do the math on how long before the general public receives it. At this rate it'll be 2022 before I'm eligible.

I'm surprised that Thunder Bay has that many people! But I'm also sort of shocked that it will take so long to vaccinate that many people.

The US is not vaccinating at light speed, but I think we are doing a pretty decent job overall. I do think we are making a mistake by given 2 doses of vaccine to everyone instead of delaying shot #2 and getting 1 shot into the arms of more people. But I suppose the FDA is smarter than me. Its just that if the goal is to keep people out of the hospital then the data is really showing that the 1st shot accomplishes that all by itself and the second shot, if delayed 75-90 days, would allow millions more to get the 1st shot.

The UK is delaying shot #2 and getting more people vaccinated. The theory is that it will reduce the burden on the healthcare system. It seems to be working.

Thunder bay is officially listed at 115000 people but the surrounding communities within a couple hours drive factored in brings it up to about 150000. Most smaller communities have a regional hospital but none are equipped to handle serious cases. So if you get injured or sick, you're looking at either an air ambulance or a land transport to the city. And part of the issue then is that back in the 90s, there were 4 main hospitals in the city. But they closed them and built one main hospital designed to service a population base of 95k people. That created a huge backlog.

And on Monday the US will have a 3rd vaccine. The more the merrier as we race toward herd immunity. Can’t get there fast enough.

FDA Panel Unanimously Endorses J&J Covid Vaccine​

While it was so widely expected the announcement was merely a formality, just after 5pm on Friday the FDA Advisory Panel voted unanimously (22-0) to endorse the (one-shot, no mRNA) J&J vaccine, saying the benefits outweigh the risks, and recommended the agency grant emergency authorization, moving the nation's third vaccine one step closer to getting into Americans' arms.

The vaccine was 66% effective in protecting any cases of moderate to severe illness. It was 85% effective against severe cases of COVID-19 and completely prevented hospitalizations and death, four weeks after inoculation.

Cases, reported incidents of vaccine reactions are LOW here, DeWine is ready to open up, the people are screaming open up now.
I agree with him for a change.
Ohio counties are still showing as red or orange. I have to question that.

They just announced that my region is going back to full lockdown on Monday. Well, that's what they're calling it. All retail will be open for business as usual with reduced numbers allowed inside. About the only difference is that the gyms and all personal care services such as hair salons will be closed. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. This will do absolutely nothing to slow the spread when it's the seniors homes, jails, and homeless population that's experiencing a rise in cases. This is like forcing you to get castrated because your neighbor has too many kids.

"This is like forcing you to get castrated because your neighbor has too many kids."

That's a very good analogy. It's been shown that lockdowns don't work so why do we keep on doing it? Beats me. Stupid people are going to do what stupid people do.

I can't speak about nationally, I can't even speak about statewide but I know that in my little neck of the Piney Woods things are ramping up. UT Health in Tyler, when they started vaccinating, were making 10 appointments every 15 minutes. When my wife and I went through for our first shots they had increased that to 15 appointments every 15 minutes and when we were there on Wednesday they were preparing to step it up to 25 appointments every 15 minutes for 12 hours a day, depending on the availability of the vaccine. That's 1200 people a day getting shot up in one facility.

The local CVS in our little town started vaccinations this week. When I drove past there today the car park was full. I don't know what their daily throughput is but every little helps. I checked their website when I got home and they are making no more appointments until early March. The bottleneck seems to be the availability and distribution of the vaccine.

Last edited:
. . . I checked their website when I got home and they are making no more appointments until early March. The bottleneck seems to be the availability and distribution of the vaccine.
I'm not so sure that is the big reason. It is a major problem.

With the mandated 15 minute wait time before going home, to see if a patient goes into shock, some of the backlog is caused by lack of parking space.

Honestly if you have a 4 person team working vaccinations, 2 to log you into the computer & watch you after your shot, 1 to talk to you pre-shot, 1 to give you a shot, then they should be able to vaccinate 1 person every minute or two. So let's say 30 patients an hour just for the sake of conversation, that is 1 person every 2 minutes. What CVS has that many parking places to deal with the influx-outgo of all those people while also making a bunch of people wait for 15 minutes?

The clinic we got our shots at was doing about 1 shot every 2 or 3 minutes. It shared a lot with a supermarket and a few other businesses and there were people waiting in cars outside just to pull into a spot when someone pulled out. Inside, despite having a waiting room set up specifically for vaccinations, they had standing room only because there were not enough seats.

Now to your point, the "doses" are stored and allocated out. Some of that may well be due to the freezer problem, certainly no doubt of that. But I honestly think if they sent 1000 doses to the local CSV on Tuesday there would be a traffic jam at the CVS and they could not get the shots administered due to the "15 minute wait" rule to see if they have a reaction.

I know that some areas have set up DRIVE IN vaccination sites. Those are typically at sports venues with huge parking lots. A line funnels traffic in, you get a shot through the window of your car, you go park for 15 minutes, then you leave. A place like that can handle 1000 or more shots a day. Chicago's UNITED CENTER is setting up a mass vaccination site. It is said to be able to do 6000/day once it gets up and running. It will have car vaccinations + walk in vaccinations. But it is surrounded by acres of parking lots, serviced by bus routes, etc.

They just announced that my region is going back to full lockdown on Monday. Well, that's what they're calling it. All retail will be open for business as usual with reduced numbers allowed inside. About the only difference is that the gyms and all personal care services such as hair salons will be closed. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. This will do absolutely nothing to slow the spread when it's the seniors homes, jails, and homeless population that's experiencing a rise in cases. This is like forcing you to get castrated because your neighbor has too many kids.
Just elect Biden as PM and it will suddenly vanish.(y)

Canada has no vaccine manufacturing capabilities (or very limited). They are solely reliant on importing the vaccine. Combine that with the Trudeau government's general incompetence and the fact that they like to oppress the common people and you get the situation in Canada.

At the end of the day Canada is getting what they deserve for electing the liberals.

Canada has no vaccine manufacturing capabilities (or very limited). They are solely reliant on importing the vaccine. Combine that with the Trudeau government's general incompetence and the fact that they like to oppress the common people and you get the situation in Canada.

At the end of the day Canada is getting what they deserve for electing the liberals.
Not everyone voted for them. But that's a debate for another topic. All I can say about that is it doesn't matter what the rest of the country wants as the whole area surrounding Toronto has the majority of seats needed for the vote and let's be honest. Trudeau has been bring in immigrants by the plane full and giving them handouts in order to buy their votes.

This was on Fox News Rundown Extra this morning - What You Need to Know About the Covid Variants and Vaccines.
I thought it was really interesting. He discussed the different variants and which of the available vaccines he thought were best and why.
They didn't have a full printable version, and I'm not smart to add things from a podcast.

Honestly I think it is because the OX/AZ vaccine is a non-profit.
So the money motive is gone.
Who get's paid off if the OX/AZ vaccine is approved?

Non-profit for the US? I'm just asking the question because I'm still trying to learn about all this.

Are you saying that the FDA is possibly stalling because they want the US vaccine producers to get the profit instead of giving the money to some company outside the US? If that's the case, I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but I can see a political motive for doing that.

I still haven't even had my first vaccine yet, but if I had the luxury of choosing one, it would be Pfizer.