Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

When the government tells me I don't need to worry, then I tend to think I really do need to be concerned. But at least one report is quoting some US health officials as saying there is no need for US citizens to worry.

We know there are 4 cases in the USA, 1 case in Canada.

The Canadian case is a man who arrived sick and is in the hospital in Toronto. Canadian health officials seemed to imply that they have probably contacted all the at risk people who may have been in contact with the Chinese national on the inbound flight.

In the US, there is 1 confirmed case in Washington State, 1 in Chicago, 2 in California. I believe all the cases are foreign nationals.

China has QUARANTINED roughly 60 MILLION PEOPLE by cutting off 16 (or more) cities. The epicenter is Wuhan, a city of 11 Million people, but the quarantine was put into place after roughly 5 million people left the city for the Lunar New Year celebration, which is the heaviest travel time in China and typically has more than 100,000,000 people traveling nationally + internationally for the week long holiday period.

Official sources say there are under 2000 cases worldwide, and approximately 50 deaths. The disease is being compared to the Spanish Flu, which killed millions just about 100 years ago, but this is considered far more dangerous.

UN-official sources suggest that at least 100,000 cases exist and the disease is spreading and mutating very quickly.

REUTERS SUMMARY:
http://news.trust.org/item/20200126105121-12mxo

China scrambles to contain 'strengthening' virus
(Adds comments from mayor of Wuhan)

* Coronavirus' transmission ability getting stronger

* Incubation 1-14 days, infectious during incubation

* China confirms 1,975 people infected, 56 dead

* U.S. to evacuate diplomatic staff, citizens from Wuhan

* China imposes temporary nationwide ban on sale of wildlife

By Gabriel D. Crossley and Cheng Leng

BEIJING/SHANGHAI, Jan 26 (Reuters) - The ability of the new coronavirus to spread is strengthening and infections could continue to rise, China's National Health Commission said on Sunday, with more than 2,000 people in China infected and 56 killed by the disease.

Health authorities around the world are racing to prevent a pandemic after a handful of cases of infection were reported outside China, including in Thailand, Australia, the United States and France.

The mayor of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, said he expected another 1,000 new patients in the city, which was stepping up construction of special hospitals.

The newly identified coronavirus has created alarm because much about it is still unknown, such as how dangerous it is and how easily it spreads between people. It can cause pneumonia, which has been deadly in some cases.

China's National Health Commission Minister Ma Xiaowei said the incubation period for the virus can range from one to 14 days, during which infection can occur, which was not the case with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

SARS was a coronavirus that originated in China and killed nearly 800 people globally in 2002 and 2003.

"According to recent clinical information, the virus' ability to spread seems to be getting somewhat stronger," Ma told reporters.

The Lunar New Year holiday, traditionally celebrated by hundreds of millions of Chinese travelling around the country and abroad to see family, began on Friday but has been severely disrupted by the outbreak.

Ma said China would intensify its containment efforts, which have so far included transportation and travel curbs and the cancellation of big events.

The country may extend the week-long Lunar New Year holiday, state broadcaster CCTV reported, citing a meeting hosted by Chinese premier Li Keqiang.

The virus, believed to have originated late last year in a seafood market in Wuhan that was illegally selling wildlife, has spread to cities including Beijing and Shanghai. Hong Kong has six confirmed cases.

The World Health Organisation this week stopped short of calling the outbreak a global health emergency, but some health experts question whether China can contain the epidemic.

Chinese President Xi Jinping described the situation as "grave" on Saturday.

China confirmed 2,051 cases of infection as of 7 p.m. (1100 GMT) on Jan. 26, while the death toll from the virus remained at 56, state broadcaster CCTV reported.

Health officials in Orange County, California, reported that a third case had been registered in the United States in a traveller from Wuhan, who was in isolation and in good condition.

On Saturday, Canada declared a first "presumptive" confirmed case in a resident who had returned from Wuhan. Australia confirmed its first four cases.

No fatalities have been reported outside China.

WILDLIFE SALES BAN

On Sunday, China temporarily banned nationwide the sale of wildlife in markets, restaurants, and e-commerce platforms. Wild and often poached animals packed together in Chinese markets are blamed as incubators for viruses to evolve and jump the species barrier to humans.

Snakes, peacocks, crocodiles and other species can also be found for sale via Taobao, an e-commerce website run by Alibaba.

The New York-based Wildlife Conservation Society called on China to make the ban permanent.

The U.S. State Department said it will relocate personnel at its Wuhan consulate to the United States, while Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said his government was working with China to arrange a charter flight for Japanese nationals to return from Wuhan.

The outbreak has prompted widening curbs on movements within China, with Wuhan, a city of 11 million, on virtual lockdown and transport links all-but severed except for emergency vehicles.

CANCELLATIONS AND MISTRUST

Health authorities in Beijing urged people not to shake hands but instead salute using a traditional cupped-hand gesture. The advice was sent in a text message that went out to mobile phone users in the city on Sunday morning.

Beijing also postponed the reopening of the city's schools and universities after the Lunar New Year holiday, state radio reported. Hong Kong had already delayed the reopening of schools to Feb. 17.

China has called for transparency in managing the crisis, after a cover-up of the spread of the SARS virus eroded public trust, but officials in Wuhan have been criticised for their handling of the current outbreak.

"People in my hometown all suspect the real infected patients number given by authorities," said Violet Li, who lives in the Wuhan district where the seafood market is located.

Illustrating the extend of disruption to life in China, overall passenger travel declined by nearly 29% on Saturday, the first day of the Lunar New Year, from a year earlier, with air passengers down nearly 42%, a transportation ministry official said.

Many cinemas across China were closed with major film premieres postponed.

Cruise operators including Royal Caribbean Cruises, and Costa Cruises said they had cancelled a combined 12 cruises that had been scheduled to embark from Chinese ports before Feb. 2.

Hong Kong Disneyland and the city's Ocean Park were closed on Sunday. Shanghai Disneyland, which expected 100,000 visitors daily through the holiday period, has already closed.

Airports around the world have stepped up screening of passengers from China, although some health officials and experts have questioned the effectiveness of these efforts.

This BS just keeps getting deeper and deeper!! I've long been of the opinion fauci is nothing but a little weasel. The comparison of Florida and California is pretty plain to see.

This BS just keeps getting deeper and deeper!! I've long been of the opinion fauci is nothing but a little weasel. The comparison of Florida and California is pretty plain to see.
I think FLA Governor DeSantis may be the heir to the Trump legacy.

Florida has a huge elderly population and, unlike NY Gov Cuomo, Florida did not commit genocide. Nor did Florida destroy its economy or the lives of its citizens. Comparing CA Gov Newsom to DeSantis is really sort of a joke, well what I really mean is that Newsom is a total joke and may not survive a recall ballot for his multitude of failures.

I certainly questioned some of Florida's choices but they really need to be held up as a model state for Covid done properly.

Two things that have been recently mentioned that are now in the news.

STORY #1

Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida may be the most demonized hero on the planet today. This is just a small part of the article. The National Review has the full article and it exposes much of the media's bias with photos and video, plus the full story. LINK => https://www.nationalreview.com/2021...hing-the-press-accused-ron-desantis-of-being/

From the outset of the pandemic, New York State has had the highest number of deaths of any state and still does (47,000), and the second-highest deaths-per-million of anywhere in the country. In contrast, Florida is right around the national average for deaths-per-million. Journalists brushed right by these top-line numbers in the interest of their tendentious narrative-building.
They erupted in outrage when DeSantis was allegedly slow to close the beaches last March but didn’t dwell much on Cuomo saying, when the virus was already spreading throughout his state: “The facts defeat fear. Because the reality is reassuring.”
They accused DeSantis of unnecessarily endangering seniors when the Florida governor took steps to protect the nursing homes, and Andrew Cuomo, infamously, ordered nursing homes to accept COVID-19 patients.
They claimed DeSantis was rejecting the “science” by, among other things, pushing to reopen the schools, an approach that has proved out. Meanwhile, experts have fled the New York public-health bureaucracy in response to Cuomo’s highhandedness.
They bought the bogus story of a Florida data manager who was supposedly persecuted for blowing the whistle on the state’s manipulation of its COVID numbers, when, of course, this is exactly what Cuomo was doing.
And so, the media’s anointed hero of the pandemic — who wrote a book on his own exemplary pandemic response, who won a Grammy, who was elevated to an authority with the standing to comment on how the country was handling COVID-19 — is facing calls to resign or face impeachment and is the subject of multiple investigations, while his routine bullying of critics is now out in the open.
Not only are none of these things happening to Ron DeSantis, his policy of avoiding strict lockdowns, which occasioned so much criticism, has avoided the educational and economic downsides of Cuomo’s policies. According to Florida data, the state offers more in-person education than any other state, and it has a lower unemployment rate than the national average and other populous states. This matters greatly to the well-being of Floridians.

STORY #2

Recently there has been more talk about COVID PASSPORTS, today I see this story, which is going to keep the anti-vax crowd locked up as prisoners in their own countries.

Again, this is just part of the story, see the full article for more details. But it looks like more and more countries are considering this. Our own President Biden even floated the idea for Americans to be able to travel between states. From the France24 news service: https://www.france24.com/en/europe/...-passports-critics-raise-discrimination-fears

As more governments mull vaccine passports, critics raise discrimination fears

23/02/2021 - 19:06
Amid a rollout of coronavirus vaccines, technology and health firms are working on ways that people get digital certificates to be displayed on smartphones to show proof of inoculation. Kenzo Tribouillard AFP/File
With vaccinations well under way, governments are increasingly seeing vaccination “passports” – or other forms of Covid-19 status certificates – as a way out of the cycles of shutdowns and curfews that have made many prisoners in their own homes and ground global industry to a near halt.
The certificates would enable people to present proof of vaccination and thus skip quarantine protocols when arriving in a new country.
Some countries have already introduced such policies, with Iceland becoming the first European nation to issue vaccine certificates in late January. Greece on Tuesday unveiled a digital vaccination certificate for those who have received two doses of the vaccine. Among the countries that are currently issuing or asking for vaccine certificates are Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.
Across the English Channel, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Monday his government would consider Covid-19 “status certificates” as a pathway out of the health crisis. . .

We get our second shot tomorrow afternoon and just this afternoon we got a call from NETHealth saying our names had come up and would be called to set up an appointment for this week in Tyler, 30 miles away. They do the drive through vaccinations in the car park. My wife called and cancelled that one.

Our local Brookshire's pharmacy is giving vaccination shots at the rate of 10 or 12 a day. The person giving the shots is doing them in addition to their other normal duties. Even in a town of less than 5K people you're not going to make many inroads at that rate. What has become obvious over the last few weeks is that many older people are being left out of the system They either do not have a computer or they are not computer literate enough to make their way through the maze that is the online registration system. I wouldn't say that it is a mess but it can be very confusing and frustrating. My wife is organizing things at the local library and mobilizing friends and helpers to get them registered and on a list to be vaccinated.

As for Dr Faucci, that little gnome lost my faith 8 months ago. I wouldn't believe a darned word he says. He's just another self important little bureaucrat hooked on the power and notoriety that the situation has given him. I wish that I could vaccinate my TV so that he never appears again.

... What has become obvious over the last few weeks is that many older people are being left out of the system They either do not have a computer or they are not computer literate enough to make their way through the maze that is the online registration system...

Not sure what other states are doing, honestly I watch Illinois news and don't pay much attention to how they sign up for the vaccine, but here in Indiana we can call 2-1-1 or we can log onto a website.

While Indiana is generally considered a backwards-flyover state occupied by farmers and hicks, Indiana makes things really simple and targets age groups, which makes things really simple. In fact today I got 3 notices to get a vaccine. 1 was a text message from the state. 1 was a message from my clinic. 1 was an email from the state. A care-giver can even sign up a parent if they are unable to access the phone or website. Maybe its not perfect, certainly it misses some people, but I think its pretty good.

Obviously given that I got my shot at 4:05pm Central Time yesterday, the state website was not updated with the fact that I was already vaccinated. The nurse actually logged my vaccine into the website in front of me and corrected my birth date, which was originally put in incorrectly, so I'm pretty confident in our system here.

Tennessee is in serious trouble, they are throwing away THOUSANDS of vaccine, even in the Memphis area. It's a terrible shame. I think people should be resigning there.

So its Wednesday morning now. The farting and diarrhea have pretty much ended. Moderna shot #2 was taken in the late afternoon on Monday. Picked up 20 White Castles on my way home.

Apparently there was some reaction between the entire bag of White Castle cheeseburgers, with everything + extra onions, and the Moderna vaccine. Don't let anyone tell you these vaccines are not dangerous I've never had so much stomach discomfort from White Castle burgers before. Then again I don't think I ever ate 12 White Castles in one day. Seriously considering notifying the FDA about this vaccine issue, they should warn people.

So ... just beware :poop:

What has become obvious over the last few weeks is that many older people are being left out of the system They either do not have a computer or they are not computer literate enough to make their way through the maze that is the online registration system. I wouldn't say that it is a mess but it can be very confusing and frustrating.
Yes :thumb:, and they need to find some fix for that problem.
My wife is organizing things at the local library and mobilizing friends and helpers to get them registered and on a list to be vaccinated.
Kudos to Wonder Woman again

Note to self: Don't eat 12 White Castles after getting the vaccine

Numbers are on the rise where I live and it's looking like another lockdown is in the near future. There's been several cases popping up in the schools but the government still maintains that the schools are safer than having the kids at home. When at Christmas time, they claimed the opposite and even kept them home for the first week of January to homeschool. Now, they decided to postpone spring break into April to keep the kids where it's safe. Meanwhile the rest of us will be in lockdown at home where it's safe. Vaccinations are very slowly being administered due to a shortage of them.

Numbers are on the rise where I live and it's looking like another lockdown is in the near future. There's been several cases popping up in the schools but the government still maintains that the schools are safer than having the kids at home. When at Christmas time, they claimed the opposite and even kept them home for the first week of January to homeschool. Now, they decided to postpone spring break into April to keep the kids where it's safe. Meanwhile the rest of us will be in lockdown at home where it's safe. Vaccinations are very slowly being administered due to a shortage of them.
Here in my local school district we have had quite a few parents send their sick, infected kids to school. However, we have actually had almost no cases of Covid being spread INSIDE the school or on the school buses. We had a big outbreak at our middle school, it was tied to events that occurred at a few households. It actually shut down the whole school for 2 weeks because there were so many teachers exposed as "close contacts" to the students that there were not enough substitute teachers to fill in for them while they sat at home in quarantine. I don't believe any of the exposed teachers ended up testing positive.

Now I prefaced that by saying "my local school district" because at least here in Indiana each district sets its own rules and protocols.

But nationally our CDC shows plenty of data saying that spreading the disease is not really a big issue in the schools. Below the age of 12 (approximately) there is minimal community transmission of Covid. As children age their lungs develop and the risk increases. So the risks are greater at the high school level. Many of the school districts have chosen to make high school a part-time in person program with 1/2 the kids going 2 days, the other half going 2 days, and everyone off on Friday for e-learning.

Ane we will have a 3rd Vaccine in the USA in a few days, 20 Million doses by the end of March for this vaccine, on top of the doses from Pfizer and Moderna.

This is less effective than the others but it offers serious advantages. It is a SINGLE dose shot, it also can be shipped through NORMAL drug shipment channels without the need for specialized freezers.

Given the NEW variants that are spreading around, and given that some are becoming the dominant strains, having more doses of anything, even if somewhat less effective, helps slow or stop the spread while also getting us closer to herd immunity. Personally if this was my only option I'd gladly take it. Some protection is better than none. And tests showed if you do get Covid after taking this shot the disease is much milder, dramatically lowering risks of hospitalization or complications, and to my mind that is a win.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Johnson & Johnson ’s single-dose Covid-19 vaccine works safely, paving the way for the approval of a third vaccine in the U.S. as early as this weekend.
The vaccine was 66.1% effective in preventing moderate to severe disease and appeared safe, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday, and the shot also showed tantalizing signs of slowing the spread of the virus.
J&J’s shot would be the third cleared for use in the U.S., as health authorities pick up the pace of vaccinations and try to lock in gains reducing daily cases, hospitalizations and deaths while staying ahead of any new variants that threaten to evade treatment.
. . .​

We WERE doing ok as far as numbers go. It got into the nursing homes and one in particular had 23 deaths. But just when it was getting under control, it made its way into both jails here. Then when they started releasing prisoners into the community without a plan, it made it's way into the homeless community. Now just how in the heck do you force a homeless person to quarantine or wear a mask etc?

And many cases were caused by travel. Not necessarily driving. But people still flying internationally into hot spots and returning. Sure, the borders are closed for non essential vehicles. What people have been doing is hiring a shipping company to transport their vehicles across the border then flying south to the nearest airport and picking up their vehicles and driving south.

We got our second shots today. The UT Health Center in Tyler impressed me with their organization on our first visit for our vaccine shots. This time it doubly impressed me. We were there for shift change and it was slicker than snot. During our 15 minute observation period one whole crew got up, lined up and marched on out. Another crew came marching in, slipped in to the vacated chairs and things carried right on without skipping a beat, just like a drill team.

I was also surprised how few people were there today. I was told that it was because today was set aside for second shots and emergency care workers. I don't see why that would make such a big difference but I do know that we were in and out of there in less than 25 minutes and that included the 15 minute observation period.

Both my SILs had uncomfortable reactions to their second shots, nothing serious just muscle aches, temperatures and nausea, almost like the flu that lasted about 24 hours. Both got the Moderna vaccine while we both got the Pfizer. I don't know if that is relevant or not. So far neither my wife or I have had any reaction to the shots. We both have slight discomfort at the injection site but that's about all. We'll see what tomorrow brings. We'll wait a couple of weeks and then start moving our lives back to some kind of normalcy. We'll still take precautions when out and about but we will be out and about. My only question now is, "How long does this vaccine last?

Oh, I forgot to mention that cases in our area continue to drop. I have not seen any reasonable explanation why. We are down to a level that I haven't seen since at least the middle of last year. Strange, since over the last week or two mask wearing has almost been abandoned by the majority of people.

Last edited:
Frank, good to hear it was so smooth and organized.

Your area, like ALL of the USA, is experiencing drops in cases. I was actually surprised to hear that NorthernRedneck's area is on the upswing given proximity to the US and the decline in US case, just figured it was going down there too.

Interesting that your area is also abandoning masks. I see the same inside the town of Lowell. The local Aldi store has the required "MASKS MUST BE WORN TO ENTER" but as soon as you get inside you find that maybe 40% of the people wear them, the cashiers have them drooping down their faces, hanging from 1 ear, etc. The cashier simply said "we don't enforce that here."

I've been to 3 other Aldi stores in the past 30 days and never saw anything less than 100% mask wearing in those towns.

To my mind the difference is that Lowell is the only truly RURAL town left in our county. Every other town in the country has become a commuter town. Lowell still retains a large agricultural base, it is physically distant, by miles, from every other city/town in the county, and seems to follow its own rules. So maybe, your local town is like mine? They feel separated from the problem?

I still contend that GOOD MASKS, used properly, actually work. But moth people wear ineffective cotton fashion masks, have probably washed them exactly ZERO times in the past year, and lay them down on unclean surfaces, touch them inside & out, etc and then say "...but I wore my mask."

But moth people wear ineffective cotton fashion masks, have probably washed them exactly ZERO times in the past year, and lay them down on unclean surfaces, touch them inside & out, etc and then say "...but I wore my mask."
Those "moth people" are a scourge on our society. :sneaky:
iu

I'm really surprised this did not include anything on Vitamin D

Even people with underlying conditions, who have sufficient Vitamin D levels, tend not to end up in the hospital. Vitamin D is cheap and as long as its taken daily, in sufficient quantities, tends to have outstanding effectiveness against moderate and severe Covid.

I'm really surprised this did not include anything on Vitamin D

So am I. There were studies quite a while back that showed that vitamin D deficiency contributed to the seriousness of the Covid symptoms. It was the same with hydroxychloroquine. Simple, cheap, readily available precautionary drugs and supplements don't make billions for big pharma. I am really cynical about some of the stuff that has gone on during this pandemic.

A couple of years ago my doctor put me on a vitamin D supplement because I was deficient and also recommended a multi-vitamin just because of my age. I don't know if either helped me avoid Covid but it certainly didn't hurt. I sometimes feel that we avoid the simple answer because society has programed us to believe that high tech answers are always better. I always remember the story of NASA spending millions of dollars to develop a pen that would write in the vacuum of space. The Russians used a pencil.

The majority of cases where I live stem from the jails and homeless community. Pretty hard to control those populations. Well, in jail they can control it but the problem lies with the courts as these inmates have "rights" once they're released from jail. So letting them out then telling them they have to self quarantine upon release is difficult.

On another note, there have been cases in the schools as I mentioned earlier. So the kids are all going back to homeschooling starting Monday. This should be interesting. A house under construction during the day with a house full of kids.