• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Old Stuff ... Pics / old Ads etc

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I remember one time back in about 1964 during a gas price 'war', gas was 19.9 cents a gallon. Two bucks filled up the tank on my 1957 Ford.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember one time back in about 1964 during a gas price 'war', gas was 19.9 cents a gallon. Two bucks filled up the tank on my 1957 Ford.
In 1964 CLARK stations in St Louis were in a gas war with the big names like TEXACO and STANDARD OIL. Gas was $0.12 a gallon. I filled my 24 gallon Pontiac Starchief for under three bucks.

But then it only got 6 to 8 MPG.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
do_you_remeber_01_78068b325d06de410a2f007898257f4155fb47b3.jpg
We did that with TOPPS Baseball Cards ... something that, in retrospect, seems like it was probably financial folly, given the value of some of those cards if they would be in mint condition.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Good ole TOPPS. I have a direct connection with that company. I have four machines they used to collate the card sets. Bought them brand new when they closed their Scranton PA plant in 1996.

I don't do card sets any more but, those machines are still running today in my plant.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I sure do remember that stuff. My mother thought that mercurochrome was the answer to every cut and scrape. She also thought that every cough, cold, and chest congestion should be treated with Vicks Vapor Rub. I didn't mind the mercurochrome so much, but I hated that greasy Vicks stuff.
Same here. I had to lay under a lot of blankets when I had a fever. You had to "sweat it out".

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The McDonald brothers in front of the not yet opened first McDonald’s, November 1948, San Bernadino, CA

OldStuff04aMcDonalds.jpg

The original restaurant began operation in 1940 as a barbecue restaurant run by brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald and was named "McDonald's Famous Barbeque" and served over forty barbequed items.

Ray Kroc who is often credited with starting McDonalds came into the picture in 1954. He bought McDonalds in 1961 for 2.3 million.