• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Old Stuff ... Pics / old Ads etc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
1964 GTO on the Pontiac home plant assembly line in Pontiac, MI. When John DeLorean pitched the idea of the GTO to GM's upper management, they laughed and said he wouldn't sell 500 units. By year end over 32,000 1964 GTOs had been sold and the muscle car era was born.

OldStuff56GTO.jpg

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Mine was a '39 Ford.
On the floor.
Same pattern.

Air conditioning via a crank that opened the windshield 3" at the bottom.
Mine had that same air conditioner too! Mine also had an auxiliary starter under the seat. It was called a crank!! All you had to do was to retard the timing with the lever on the left side of the steering column and go to the front and give it all you had. Lots of fun!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine had that same air conditioner too! Mine also had an auxiliary starter under the seat. It was called a crank!! All you had to do was to retard the timing with the lever on the left side of the steering column and go to the front and give it all you had. Lots of fun!!
I had a crank handle under the seat. Get out, poke it into the front grill and crank. Frankly it was easier to just push it a bit and pop the clutch.
I ran out of gas once and drove it almost a mile home on the starter. To be fair it was downhill most of the way but still, no way with today's engines.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Who used the clutch after first gear?
I didn't.
Drove my dad crazy
Never tried the no clutch option. First I've ever heard of that. Seems like you'd be tearing up some gears without the clutch.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Never tried the no clutch option. First I've ever heard of that. Seems like you'd be tearing up some gears without the clutch.
I called synchronization. Clutch to first gear yes.
Rev up to 3M RPM then let off the throttle as you apply pressure to the shift knob. The gears will un-mesh as the torque lowers tozero. And then if you time it right the driveshaft and pilot shaft will synch and you slide to second. Same to go to third.
Downshift is the same in reverse. Sorta like double clutching only slower.

I still shift that way on my 95 Dodge one ton AND my 2006 Chrysler Crossfire. If I am in a hurry, I'll double clutch.

Done right your synchros last longer and so does the clutch.

BTW, Henry Ford's first race with the competing auto makers was done in an automobile he designed with no clutch, and no brakes.

He still won.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does this face look familiar? It should .....
StatueOfLibertyModel.jpg

She was The Model for the Statue of Liberty.
Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi's model for the Statue of Liberty was the beautiful Frenchwoman Isabelle Boyer, who was first married to the American industrialist Isaac Merrit Singer-of sewing machine fame- and later to the Duke of Campo Selice of Luxembourg.
In 1878, the 36-year-old Duchess de Campo Selice attracted the attention of the sculptor who forever immortalized her features in the face of Lady Liberty.