• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Let me know whats its like, I live 80 miles from there and the last visit cured me about 7 years ago and haven't been back.
I went to electronics school in Vallejo, CA in 1965 and 1966. I'd go to San Francisco on the weekends. I had to protect myself with a knife from homosexuals more than once in San Francisco. 2 or more of them each time thought they were going to rape me....I was ready to give them a sex change operation.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent the day building 60 degree steps out of 2X8 pine for access to the garage loft. Not as easy as I had thought.

But, I got them assembled and they fit the tight space perfectly.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be starring out the window watching the wind howl and snow fall as we're in the middle of another winter storm that shut down all the highways last night and canceled the school busses again.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Hanging out at home watching the news closely as my wife along with approximately 155000 other public service providers working for the government walked off the job on strike. Shove that in your liberal piehole Trudeau 🤬.

I've been with my wife since 2012. Only once for a period of 3 months was she working with a current valid contract. The government refused to show their cards and talk to the union until this week and only provided wage proposals yesterday in the 11th hour. This includes the CRA, passport, service Canada locations, employment insurance etc. You name it government related, it's shut down.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BACK HOME from a week in California!

Honestly don't know how those people who live in that state survive. Costs of everything are outrageous. But we had a great visit with adopted daughter, now legal adult, Dasha. She will be finishing her semester in Palo Alto in mid-May, then back home for a couple days, then she goes back to California to do a summer internship at Apple Computer. So we won't be seeing much of her and had to make the most of our trip to visit her.
IMG_2681.jpeg
IMG_7956.jpeg
IMG_7946.jpeg
IMG_7925.jpeg
IMG_7876.jpeg
IMG_7792.jpeg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Folks that work out here make higher wages than the other states for the most part, the ones that don't work get everything paid for by the rest of us. Looks like everyone had a good time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Folks that work out here make higher wages than the other states for the most part, the ones that don't work get everything paid for by the rest of us. Looks like everyone had a good time.
We did have a great trip.

I got to spend 1 afternoon with about 20 students from Notre Dame. They are all computer science/technology students studying there for the semester. They were talking about getting jobs that pay $200,000 a year. Oddly enough the state of California would consider that wage "low income" in Silicon Valley and that is too low to even apply for the California First Time Home Buyer's assistance program in San Mateo county (minimum income level to apply is $300k/year in that area)

$200,000 will easily have you as an upper income earner in Indiana

$325,000 will get you a much nicer house in Indiana than the $1.8 million home that I rented for the family while we were staying in San Mateo. FWIW, $1.8M in San Mateo gets you about 1600 square feet, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with a back yard that is only slightly larger than a legal size envelope.

It is not how much money you MAKE it is what VALUE that money gets you.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
We did have a great trip.

I got to spend 1 afternoon with about 20 students from Notre Dame. They are all computer science/technology students studying there for the semester. They were talking about getting jobs that pay $200,000 a year. Oddly enough the state of California would consider that wage "low income" in Silicon Valley and that is too low to even apply for the California First Time Home Buyer's assistance program in San Mateo county (minimum income level to apply is $300k/year in that area)

$200,000 will easily have you as an upper income earner in Indiana

$325,000 will get you a much nicer house in Indiana than the $1.8 million home that I rented for the family while we were staying in San Mateo. FWIW, $1.8M in San Mateo gets you about 1600 square feet, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with a back yard that is only slightly larger than a legal size envelope.

It is not how much money you MAKE it is what VALUE that money gets you.
Thats correct, where I live is about 80-90 miles east of there in the foothills of the Sierra's. Its not cheap here but not like the Bay Area.
My home is 2300 sq. on 6,5 acres. its worth between 800k and 1,000,000.00 depending on the economy.
My sons home is 1200 sq. on 1/2 acre, he paid $245k almost 5 years ago and its up to $400k now. You can go north of here where my cabin is about 300 miles, is where I wish I lived but there are not a lot of money making opportunity up there. In Lassen county you can get a 2000 sq home on an acreage for $300-500k, north of there is Modoc county. Extremely Rural with small towns far apart, You can get a nice 2500sq home with outbuildings on 50 plus acres for 300-500K. Nice mountain property there is $1000.00 an acre. It is very diverse here. You can go from $2,000,000.00 1500sq homes with zero lot lines in the Bay Area or La. to $1000.00 an acre mountain property, to $200.00 per acre Dessert property. All within a days drive. The politics change between all the different areas too. Patriotic to batshit crazy.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Our housing market kinda goes in cycles like anywhere else. When we were shopping for our last house in the city, a 1050 Sq ft 3 bedroom bungalow, it was a sellers market and most places were selling for over asking price and usually involved a bidding war. It was more of a buyers market when we bought here in 2009. We paid $580000 for a 2400 square sq ft home on 5.8 acres. The market has become more of a sellers market lately and our home is worth $765000 according to our realtor after we invest into the new kitchen along with the new ensuite. We're in a fairly desirable location being only 12 minutes from a city of 115000 people. Best of both worlds. Country living with all the services available in the city only minutes away.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today is liquid diet day.

Not by choice.

As men of a certain age will understand, tomorrow is colonoscopy day. (My 4th adventure in colon sedation and predation).

Strong advice for newbies to this golden rite of senior passage, a full day of liquid diet, prior to the medically induced purge, is advised.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You have my sympathy. I have another 4-years before I have to go through that again.

For me, the worst part is, after the liquid diet and the chemical purge, the drive to the hospital for the colonoscopy and the doubt about whether you can make it not without having an accident on the way. That causes me more anxiety than the actual procedure. :toiletpap

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah...to boldly go where no man has gone before! (At least I'm guessing) lol

I've been running like crazy this week as my wife has been on strike since last Tuesday. So she gets back from standing out in the wind rain and snow all day marching with blisters on her feet and I have to step up and do most things at home. All good. I was out on strike a few years ago. She is part of a group of 155000 government workers striking for better wages. In the 12 years that we have been together, she has only had a valid contract for 3 months. They finally had enough. During this round of negotiations, all along, the employer never once proposed a wage increase to reflect cost of living.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Today is liquid diet day.

Not by choice.

As men of a certain age will understand, tomorrow is colonoscopy day. (My 4th adventure in colon sedation and predation).

Strong advice for newbies to this golden rite of senior passage, a full day of liquid diet, prior to the medically induced purge, is advised.
By "liquid diet" I would hope you mean booze. That I could swallow.

However, I'm betting you don't mean that but something else. Less pleasant.:rolleyes:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Happy to report that at 2pm today I am awake, groggy, and back home. This was my 4th colonoscopy. I'm high risk for cancer. I've had pre-cancerous polyps cut out in each of the 3 prior colonoscopies. 4th time is a charm. No polyps. No cancer. No issues. Honestly very relieved with the results, given the general pains I've felt over the past 6-9 months, given the sudden failure of some other meds I take, I honestly was preparing myself for some bad news.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not a whole lot today with the mixture of rain and snow. Temperatures are hovering around the freezing point. The spring dampness just kills the arthritis in my lower back as I have been pretty much laid up useless with my feet in the air barely able to stand unassisted again. That's the frustrating part of back pain when it hits without warning and knocks me down.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That's the frustrating part of back pain when it hits without warning and knocks me down.

I can empathize. I've been treading lightly for almost a week after mowing some of the pasture and thicket. It involves a lot of backing up which also involves a lot of turning and twisting in the tractor seat. I got off it after 4 hours and knew that I was in trouble. I had to go to the doctor on Thursday for my 6-monthly blood work because of diabetes and had him shoot my back with a painkiller and steroids. It helped some.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Doing all the spring stuff, started mowing the pastures the horses will never get to this year. Also fabricating a gate for some fencing I just installed. Just looked, now there is a 50% chance of rain 4 days next week. Oh well if it rains I will burn some brush and tree trimming.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Roto Tilling my front yard.
I'm a corner lot so it is a project.

Weeds, violets, moles and voles have made my yard a sore sight.
I don't want to use chemicals.
So, I went mechanical.

Three passes in two weeks should do it. Then, new seed and lots of watering.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Probably sitting with my feet up and a heating pad on my back. 3 straight days of sleet and rain falling have left me immobile. Have I mentioned that I hate spring? Yes everything is melting but it's a month of sloppy wet crap where I can't really do anything but sit in pain waiting for it to dry up.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am supposed to be tearing up carpet in my daughter's new condo but she fell and sprained her ankle so she will be no help. Not sure, but very likely staying home, possibly just working around the house, playing cars and reading books with Kobe, and doing not much else?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm home.
I've been in North Myrtle beach for the past week. Had a great time. I feel refreshed and ready to go .... on another vacation. LOL
Thanks to the mods for keeping things running smoothly in my absence. :tiphat:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're under a severe weather advisory for wind. It's been a mixture of snow and rain for 4 days. I'm still hurting and have barely left the house in 4 days. Oh well. It's supposed to let up about Wednesday. They just didn't say which Wednesday.

Not much going on here otherwise.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
cooled off here to, was 85 the other day now its 60 and looking like rain. forecast says expect the same for the next few days. Went to the field to start a project today and they were still running the line and rescheduled. Thanks for the phone call.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The power flickered earlier but came back on right away. The house is cool as our boiler died a couple weeks ago and is slated for replacement on Wednesday. We have a couple gas fireplaces upstairs but they struggle to keep the temperature at 65.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tearing up carpets and padding in my daughters new condo.

I did a good job. Pretty sure I tore a muscle or tendon in my right shoulder. Hurts like hell. Can't really lift my right arm at the shoulder without a good bit a pain. Anything from the elbow down is normal. But above the bicep hurts like crazy.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Tearing up carpets and padding in my daughters new condo.

I did a good job. Pretty sure I tore a muscle or tendon in my right shoulder. Hurts like hell. Can't really lift my right arm at the shoulder without a good bit a pain. Anything from the elbow down is normal. But above the bicep hurts like crazy.
Your shoulders are not suppose to hurt all the time?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Typical week day. I took one of the kids to an appointment then took a quick 45 minute drive to the border to pick up a package then back home. It's still very windy outside.