• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Going to the gym about an hour from now. Then to a noon lunch Kiwanis meeting, then a massage at 3:00 PM (Looking forward to it!) and a city council meeting at 6:30 this evening.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not exactly sure.

Tonight we have a 75th birthday party for a friend, so I know I'll go to that. This morning Kobe needs breakfast and get's taken to day care/school. But there is a lot of time in the middle I'm a bit fuzzy about.

I work up sore, dropped a pain pill immediately. Been in and out of pain for the past few months, my new arthritis meds are actually starting to work, but it takes MONTHS to get the full effect. Hoping that I get more and more relief as the doses continue.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Nursing a knee injury and a bump on the head.
I was unloading some 2X6 lumber and I stepped off the deck. Missed the step. Plunged head first into a concrete slab ( my fault since I put it there years ago) and, wrecked my left knee. So far, 4 fingers of bourbon have not helped.
So, I'm reclining in the whirlpool bath.

Ironman

I was unloading some 2X6 lumber and I stepped off the deck. Missed the step. Plunged head first into a concrete slab ( my fault since I put it there years ago) and, wrecked my left knee. So far, 4 fingers of bourbon have not helped.
Ouch! You might have some stuff to deal with tomorrow. Take care

Crumpy

GOLD Site Supporter
Again???? Poor baby :(

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I started drywall on the wall I'm putting up to expand our kitchen yesterday after some final touches on the demo portion and some extra bracing in the wall to support a shelf in the closet in the future. I didn't get as much done as I wanted yesterday as I ended up playing "kid taxi" half the day. Teenagers...sheesh...we get snapped at for telling them to hurry up in the morning then we get snapped at when they miss the bus. So my wife drove two out of 3 in to school as they missed the bus. Then as soon as my wife left, one of them threw up. So I had to drop what I was doing and drive 25 minutes each way to pick her up. Got her home and she threw up again. Thankfully I had a bucket ready in the truck. So I went back to work but only got two pieces of drywall cut and installed.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Im still nursing my knee as well, I guess its contagious

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not go to the tournament but over the past 48 hours my kids competed in a 2 day fencing tournament that had multiple events. Some of them competed in 1 event, other competed in as many as 4 events. Results were pretty outstanding.

Aubrey -->
🥈
+
🥉
+ 7th
Caleb -->
🥉
+ 6th + 8th + E2023 national rating
Eli -->
🥇
+
🥈
+ 11th
Evelyn --> 19th
Kaden -->
🥉

Prudence --> NOT last & took a bout to 4-4
Sean --> 12th+ 13th + 24th + 39th

Of not is Prudence, she has been fencing for about 3 weeks and I've given her a few short lessons (typical lesson is 20 minutes). She has never fenced in a tournament or a real bout before going to this tournament. There are 3 levels of tournaments. Local, Regional and National. 99.9% of the people start at "local" events. Prudence, with her lack of experience, jumped straight to a large Regional event for her first event. Got to say, the kid has guts. She fenced better than expected and I'm proud of her.

Eli, who took Gold in one of his events and Silver in another, is a kid I work with weekly. He has about 9 months of fencing experience.

Photo below is Eli and his mom + Kaden and his mom. Same event, both my kids, Eli GOLD and Kaden BRONZE. This was Kaden's first event outside of high school events. He doesn't even own his own gear. He borrowed my competition glove, some of my weapons, body cords and even my fencing bag and then borrowed his high school team uniform for the completion.

335574107_1187893925246454_9125917058799577760_n.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Went out grooming yesterday. We did around 70km. Today, a couple of other guys are going out to do more. We left the machines out in the woods about 26km down a bush road where the trail crosses and got a ride back to our trucks. We fired up the webasto heaters and left them for the night. Tomorrow morning I will go back out with the same operator. They've been sending both machines out all winter as kind of a political means to use up the district fuel budget as other clubs are down on hours. The old saying of "If you don't use it, you lose it". Well, apparently the district pays the fuel bill. If we don't use up the budget, less gets budgeted for next year. So, we were asked to put hours on the machines to keep the district grooming hours up so our district gets more $ for next year. Really kinda counter productive. Spend it this year to make sure there's more next year.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for liquidation companies in my industry field.

I have at least three with whom I have had past relationships.

So far one has passed on any deal. The market for startups/expansion in the USA is slow.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Not been doing much except chores and work, the Knee is improving to where I can walk normally with the brace on and walk on it without the brace without my Femur coming out the side now. I am continuing to wear the brace for insurance that I don't re injure it before its completely healed. Couple more weeks and should be good to go. Whenever it stops raining/snowing I want to plan a cabin trip. Its been raining here in the valley almost every day. I am on high ground at around 800' but the valley is in some real danger of flooding if the rain keeps up.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for liquidation companies in my industry field.

I have at least three with whom I have had past relationships.

So far one has passed on any deal. The market for startups/expansion in the USA is slow.
Looking to sell off you packaging equipment? It would be nice to sell it all to one company as a liquidation. I don't know what your other options would be, not like you can put it the classifieds with good results.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking to sell off you packaging equipment? It would be nice to sell it all to one company as a liquidation. I don't know what your other options would be, not like you can put it the classifieds with good results.
I have contacted several Liquidators.

The issue is time, not money.
I have to vacate the building soon.

For the record, I bought all of theses machines for cash. They have repaid me several times over. All I owe is some suppliers who were caught in the sudden cancellations and the landlord. I would like to use proceeds from equipment sales to settle those issues..

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have contacted several Liquidators.

The issue is time, not money.
I have to vacate the building soon.

For the record, I bought all of theses machines for cash. They have repaid me several times over. All I owe is some suppliers who were caught in the sudden cancellations and the landlord. I would like to use proceeds from equipment sales to settle those issues..
Good luck with it, I'm sure its bittersweet closing up and moving on. Like me when I pull the pin in a couple more years, then I'm just another old guy.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Auction houses. like Sigma, Davis, Winternitz?
Thanks but,

I've been in this business for 45 years. Buying and selling to most of the big houses that handle packaging lines. As a customer and vendor. Buying rebuilding and selling used equipment was my core business for some time. Knew Frain & Co. when they were a little outfit, and Union Standard.

Auctions are out, I don't have the time on my lease.

The big problem is few people are looking to expand right now. So many are just holding on. I've had two deals collapse over financing issues. Given recent events, Banks are tightening.

Bean counters are sharpening pencils and standing against risks.

Tough market I should have left two years ago, when we were on top, and the signs of doom were clear.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So, tonite I forget my business issues and work on the new Kitchenette. We have had a 60" sink base in storage for 20 years. A fruit wood finish, not of current style. Also, some faux marble counter top 60" and 48." It should fit fine in the space.

Tonite was about plumbing and electrical. All proper and to code.

Feeling good about doing something right with pride.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Changed out my water pressure pump. Last week it started getting louder, then louder and yesterday evening I could hear it in the house. 1hp jet pump unit lasted 6 years of daily ranch use. Only down side is I was lazy and tried to use a pair of vice grips because they were handy instead of going to the shop and getting a pipe wrench. I went to the shop and got the pipe wrench right after the vice grips posed off and skinned my finger real good. I could have let it go a little longer but figured it was eating electricity at a higher rate and would fail at a bad time.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
More painting and mudding. Today was door and trim installation day. In between painting of course. Then I can putter away at the electrical over the next few weeks.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I knew we had a storm coming and had the plow truck ready to go, or so I thought. After my morning coffee, I got dressed and went out to brush snow of the vehicles and plow the yard. I was expecting heavy wet snow but instead it was a nice light snow but lot's of it.
20230317_080608.jpg
20230317_080548.jpg

I brushed off the plow truck and fired it up and let it warm up. I was out pushing snow around for an hour.
20230317_082404.jpg

I went to lift the plow and a shear pin snapped dropping the blade. I replaced the pin and got back to plowing when the plow dropped again. Oh great. Another pin. I get out and discovered a trail of red in the snow. Ok, so I blew a hose. Nope. A little more serious than that.
20230317_102108.jpg

The shackle that holds the pump to the plow frame snapped. So I left in a blizzard in a foot of snow in 4x4 to drive to the city to pick up a new shackle.
20230317_113138.jpg
Success. I found one. So I came back home driving through snow drifts on the highway and figured I'd have it fixed in minutes and get back to plowing. Wrong! As soon as I took the bolt out of the lift ram to remove the pump, the pump casing split. Fak me...
20230317_115509.jpg

And it's only lunch time. I'm sitting my butt down and not moving.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Got up super early around 3 am to put the rain sheets the horses before the rain started again. Rained all day, I took a nap from 3-6pm and just woke up in time to go service the horses for the last time today. Hope I can sleep tonight after the 3 hour nap.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Was able to hook up my Starlink internet system today. It intimidated me but in the end I got it done. Had the most trouble with the password setup. Now I have to mount it permanently.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Was able to hook up my Starlink internet system today. It intimidated me but in the end I got it done. Had the most trouble with the password setup. Now I have to mount it permanently.
We switched to starlink last year I built a pedestal on a 4x4 post to mount it on our deck. We've been happy with it.

I went out with a few friends for an end of season snowmobile ride. Temperatures are hovering around the freezing point and many of the road crossings were bare but we still had a great time putting on 165km.
20230326_135909.jpg