• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My new Dishwasher is "Wi-Fi" enabled ... WTF?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Every 8 or so years I replace a dishwasher because just like a clock, they seem to break on schedule.

This year is one of those years. Having a baby in the house, and lots of baby bottles to wash, replacing the dishwasher became an urgent issue.

So the old dishwasher started making noise. Of course I did what I could to extend the life but that was naught. One evening it simply died and untimely death, lots of noise, flashing lights and then nothing.

Start searching for a new dishwasher. The lovely Mrs_Bob had 1 criteria, it had to be QUIET. Of course my criteria was it had to be ON SALE.

So I find a dishwasher at Home Depot, On Sale. And it is QUIET too. And it was reviewed very well on every website I could find. Manufactured by LG. Great. Set up a delivery day for Sept 28.

A few days later Home Depot calls and tells me it is now ON BACKORDER until mid-November. Now I can eat on paper plates until then but those darn baby bottles are going to pile pretty high and he is not as patient as I am when he gets hungry. The search begins again.

I find the exact same dishwasher at Best Buy, Lowes and other places. All on backorder. OK, the next model up is ON SALE too. And Home Depot has it on BACKORDER until mid-October. Ditto several other places.

Find it at Best Buy, in stock. Price was higher, it was on sale but not at as large of a discount. Best part is I could get it delivered on Sept 29.

DUMBEST DISHWASHER DESIGN I HAVE EVER SEEN. SERIOUSLY WTF is with "top control" as a logical design. All the lights and led readouts face UP, and that means they are covered up by your counter top. So it is impossible to read what they display says. WUT?

So to solve this idiot design flaw they add Wi-Fi connectivity to the dishwasher so you can check an App on your phone to tell you what the readout says.

SERIOUSLY WUTDAFUQ?

Get the thing installed. Then spent close to 3 hours trying to load the App and connect the WiFi. Oh, well here we have one of the most modern up-to-date appliances on the planet and it is NOT compatible with my WiFi because it is only compatible with older technology 2.5Ghz frequency WiFi. Hmmm.

It works fine without the WiFi connection, I just can't tell what the status is.

The exterior TOP CONTROLS are logical and easy to use, but in a very stupid location and I don't know why sane or logical people would want TOP CONTROLS that are covered up by the counter top.

STUPID STUPID DESIGN :laugh3:

The thing is QUET, seriously QUIET :applause:

Near as I can tell the motor is a pancake shaped thing, that actually has a 10 year warranty. But the motor shape/size allow for more interior space. There is a 3 shelf for large cutlery and serving pieces. Basically flat stuff. There is also more clearance on each of the 2 main shelves so bigger/taller items fit easier.

That is actually a nice feature :thumbup:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 10.15.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 10.15.07 AM.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 10.14.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 10.14.33 AM.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 10.13.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 10.13.40 AM.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 56

Bannedjoe

Oh for Pete's sake!
Who the hell would want a dishwasher that's flush with the edge of a countertop, when everyone knows it's much better to have it protrude 3 or 4 inches so you can inadvertently bash knees, elbows or other miscellaneous body parts on it as you pass by. :bonk:

What I truly want is wifi enabled toilet paper, so I can check my phone to see if my ass needs another wipe. :mrgreen:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Aren't those top controls of the type you plug in what you want done and as soon as you close the door it does its thing?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Aren't those top controls of the type you plug in what you want done and as soon as you close the door it does its thing?

That's what it looks like. That's also how our one is. I never thought of it as a problem but then again my wife says I'm not qualified or certified to run a dishwasher so I tend to load it and leave it alone. We do have three small, bright LEDs on the front, red, green and white, that tell you the status or so I'm told. No Wi-Fi!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought about replacing my dishwasher a while back. But it still performs. I was advised not to because of the costs involved. It went Wi-Fi about 20 years ago.

We celebrated 54s year together last May and her 70th birthday last night.

So long as she gets the dishes clean I guess I'll keep it around.

We do have one under the counter. She complains about it frequently. That one, I might have to change out soon.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We recently bought 2 KitchenAid dishwashers (2 houses). No WiFi. We're really happy with them. VERY quiet. You don't know it's running unless or until you're within a few feet of it.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
last week i replaced ours and it looks the same . it is the second one of the same make.
we like it and the door opens by itself during or at the end of the dry cycle. no wi-fi on it.
samsung

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Yeaterday I was shopping for the kind of circulator that's used on zones of your furnace. Found one on sale that had wi-fi. Seriously ? What's the point ?

In the past, I've been curious about how much the furnace ran but I would be happy to go look at some readout on the controller. Certainly don't need the info on my phone.

Figured it was just me.... being as I have ZERO apps on my phone. It doesn't even have data.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That's what it looks like. That's also how our one is. I never thought of it as a problem but then again my wife says I'm not qualified or certified to run a dishwasher so I tend to load it and leave it alone. We do have three small, bright LEDs on the front, red, green and white, that tell you the status or so I'm told. No Wi-Fi!

Okay, I stand corrected. I did say that I'm not allowed to use the dishwasher so I consulted my in-house expert. It seems as our dishwasher does have Wi-Fi although she has never downloaded the app and probably never will. She also says that you can see the read-out if you bend over and look in the gap. I also found out today that our dishwasher does have that third shelf up at the very top. One more thing. The dishwasher has sensors that scan the dishes to decide how dirty they are and then calculates how hot the water needs to be and how long the the wash cycles needs to be to get them clean. WTF. It's been a learning experience. To top it all off, I found out that the big fridge also has Wi-Fi that will inform you of it's status and any malfunction or problem and she does use that one.

All this edumacation has me tired out and feeling overwhelmed. I'm going for lunch!

PS. I second what bczoom says about KitchenAid dishwashers. They are very, very quiet.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Yes

But you can't tell when the DRYING cycle is done unless you open the damn door!

Just like Frank, we have 3 tiny LED lights on the front. GREEN means the dishes are clean ... but that does NOT mean the drying cycle is done. On mine the GREEN light seems to come on when the drying cycle starts. I guess technically they are clean at that point, but I'd prefer to put them away dry.

Okay, I stand corrected. I did say that I'm not allowed to use the dishwasher so I consulted my in-house expert. It seems as our dishwasher does have Wi-Fi although she has never downloaded the app and probably never will. She also says that you can see the read-out if you bend over and look in the gap. I also found out today that our dishwasher does have that third shelf up at the very top. One more thing. The dishwasher has sensors that scan the dishes to decide how dirty they are and then calculates how hot the water needs to be and how long the the wash cycles needs to be to get them clean. WTF. It's been a learning experience. To top it all off, I found out that the big fridge also has Wi-Fi that will inform you of it's status and any malfunction or problem and she does use that one.

All this edumacation has me tired out and feeling overwhelmed. I'm going for lunch!

PS. I second what bczoom says about KitchenAid dishwashers. They are very, very quiet.

Our old one was a KitchenAid and it was louder than this one. This one is farther up the price scale than the KitchenAid, which was not one of their higher end units so I'd guess a comparable KitchenAid would be just as quiet. QUIET seems to be a big selling point, and as sound goes down it seems costs go up.

This one is so quiet you have to walk up to it to hear if it is running.

As for "looking into the gap" to see what the readout says, apparently our gap is a bit to tight for that? You can look in there, but even with (or maybe especially because of) my tri-focals I can't read a damn thing.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
So all this discussion and I still can't tell if the dish washer actually cleans dishes? Does it clean that stuck on crap?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Every 8 or so years I replace a dishwasher because just like a clock, they seem to break on schedule.

This year is one of those years. Having a baby in the house, and lots of baby bottles to wash, replacing the dishwasher became an urgent issue.

So the old dishwasher started making noise. Of course I did what I could to extend the life but that was naught. One evening it simply died and untimely death, lots of noise, flashing lights and then nothing.

Start searching for a new dishwasher. The lovely Mrs_Bob had 1 criteria, it had to be QUIET. Of course my criteria was it had to be ON SALE.

So I find a dishwasher at Home Depot, On Sale. And it is QUIET too. And it was reviewed very well on every website I could find. Manufactured by LG. Great. Set up a delivery day for Sept 28.

A few days later Home Depot calls and tells me it is now ON BACKORDER until mid-November. Now I can eat on paper plates until then but those darn baby bottles are going to pile pretty high and he is not as patient as I am when he gets hungry. The search begins again.

I find the exact same dishwasher at Best Buy, Lowes and other places. All on backorder. OK, the next model up is ON SALE too. And Home Depot has it on BACKORDER until mid-October. Ditto several other places.

Find it at Best Buy, in stock. Price was higher, it was on sale but not at as large of a discount. Best part is I could get it delivered on Sept 29.

DUMBEST DISHWASHER DESIGN I HAVE EVER SEEN. SERIOUSLY WTF is with "top control" as a logical design. All the lights and led readouts face UP, and that means they are covered up by your counter top. So it is impossible to read what they display says. WUT?

So to solve this idiot design flaw they add Wi-Fi connectivity to the dishwasher so you can check an App on your phone to tell you what the readout says.

SERIOUSLY WUTDAFUQ?

Get the thing installed. Then spent close to 3 hours trying to load the App and connect the WiFi. Oh, well here we have one of the most modern up-to-date appliances on the planet and it is NOT compatible with my WiFi because it is only compatible with older technology 2.5Ghz frequency WiFi. Hmmm.

It works fine without the WiFi connection, I just can't tell what the status is.

The exterior TOP CONTROLS are logical and easy to use, but in a very stupid location and I don't know why sane or logical people would want TOP CONTROLS that are covered up by the counter top.

STUPID STUPID DESIGN :laugh3:

The thing is QUET, seriously QUIET :applause:

Near as I can tell the motor is a pancake shaped thing, that actually has a 10 year warranty. But the motor shape/size allow for more interior space. There is a 3 shelf for large cutlery and serving pieces. Basically flat stuff. There is also more clearance on each of the 2 main shelves so bigger/taller items fit easier.

That is actually a nice feature :thumbup:

I have an LG DW about 2 years old. Worst appliance I've ever owned. What's wrong with it? Takes 3 hours to not get the dishes clean. Not particularly quiet either.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We bought a new one a few months ago when we had the new kitchen counter installed. I'm pretty sure it is the same as the one you bought. The top controls are a pain. I have to look at my choices and line up my finger with the buttons as I close the door. It's quiet. But it takes like 3 hours to wash a load.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After 3 loads of dishes here are my findings:

1- quiet
2- dishes are clean
3- MOST dishes are dry, the glass/ceramic/metal items are dry, the plastic baby bottles, and the rims of the tupperware lids tend to have a little water
3*- I tried it with the EXTRA DRY option and the same result with plastic items

So at this point we are happy despite all my bitching about the idiotic display and the whole concept of WiFi on a dishwasher.

Our last dishwasher also did not fully dry plastic items, honestly I don't recall if it was an issue in the prior dishwashers. I presume that plastics simply don't heat up enough during the dry cycle to evaporate the water out of the crevices where the water tends to stick.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We replaced our dishwasher 7 or 8 years ago I'd guess (not sure). It is a Maytag and has the top control panel. I thought it weird to put the controls there but it was easy to get used to. Dishwasher works great but it is loud. Same result as you have with drying things Bob.

Wife and I are old school in that we rinse dishes before loading. I simply cannot put dishes in there with foot stuffs all over them. Seems like that would clog drains fast.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We bought a new one a few months ago when we had the new kitchen counter installed. I'm pretty sure it is the same as the one you bought. The top controls are a pain. I have to look at my choices and line up my finger with the buttons as I close the door. It's quiet. But it takes like 3 hours to wash a load.
I checked and ours is a Samsung but the same options and features as the LG. Really, they are probably like rvs. About 4 factories making them and they just slap a different decal on them.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I checked and ours is a Samsung but the same options and features as the LG. Really, they are probably like rvs. About 4 factories making them and they just slap a different decal on them.

That would not surprise me either. When I looked at some of them I'm sure that the interior racks were identical. Got to presume that there is are a couple different factorys out there, each making 3 or 4 different brands, changing a few cosmetics and slapping a different brand sticker on it.

To my eye, LG, Samsung and Whirlpool all sold the dishwasher that I have installed in my home. They look identical except for a few cosmetics. There may be others. And that is not to say that their entire product lines are mirrors of each other, but at least the model I have appears to be sold under 3 different names. Some with a few more features, some with a few less, but realistically the same unit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So the 3rd shelf is a waste of space. Sure you can put plastic lids up there but the won’t dry. And sharp knives get clean up there but tall glasses don’t fit on the left side of the glass/cup rack because the 3rd shelf is lower on that side.

The utensil carrier is slightly smaller than our previous Kitchen Aid model. Not sure if that is a drawback? It leaves a bit more room for plates.

I still think the WiFi is just a dumbass feature, especially since it only works with some routers.

The night dry mode is a nice feature, it vents hot humid air over a long period of time and eliminates the blast of hot humid air we’d get from our old dishwasher when we opened it early in the morning.

Dishes are clean. Lightweight plastics don’t dry well but heavy plastics and glass are all dry.
Overall I’m happy with the dishwasher.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ours is a couple months old and looks like yours. it opens the door during the dry cycle.samsung i haven't noticed any wifi on it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ours is the same. We use the top tray for sharp knives and cooking utensils. Our racks are adjustable and can be lowered so there's room for taller glasses in the middle rack. Not sure if ours has wifi. Our new oven does. But we haven't used it since we bought it. Wifi on appliances like that are just a sales gimmick.

I talk to myself to get an expert opinion.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Our ovens and fridge are wifi enabled. If we leave the fridge door open, the TV and our phones will tell us. Nice feature until you leave the fridge open after your wife falls asleep.:smileywac

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, so got this thing a bit over a month ago.

• Washes fine, things are clean. No complaints.
  • QUIET, seriously quiet. Love that.
  • Dries the GLASS and METAL items, so no complaints with that either.
  • Plastics don't seem to get dry. As we have a baby in the house we have a lot of baby bottles, baby dishes, etc. None of those are dry, no matter what setting we use.
  • Never bothered to get the WiFi connection set up and I'm still thinking that is just a stupid feature.
  • FWIW, I did not want this model, but it was in stock. The model I wanted was backordered.

I dislike the wire racks. They seem to need more prongs. Small items don't sit well on the bottom shelf, especially the bowls. Of course if we had dishes that were thinner or bigger or small or whatever they might fit perfectly but ours do not fit well. So I suppose we can reassess that point when we switch over to the Christmas dishes? And then to the spring dishes ... the lovely Mrs_Bob changes them out seasonally.

Reactions: Doc

jwstewar

Our dishwasher is a Bosch...it is 12 years old, we bought it because it was the quietest one made at that time. It is quiet. It gets dishes reasonably clean. It has the top controls, but it has an LCD screen on the front to tell you how long before it is done. But get this one, it doesn't have heated dry. Their solution to drying is let the damn thing sit with the door closed. It doesn't work....

It isn't wi-fi enabled, but our LG Washer and Dryer that we bought last year are wi-fi enabled. You can do delay start and it will notify you when finished. The Samsung fridge we bought last year has a damn 21" Android tablet built into the door that you can do every thing from. You can even connect to the fridge from your phone and see what is inside. At first I thought that sounded stupid until the first time we were at the store and my wife said, Do we need milk. No knowing for sure, I opened the app and looked and said yes. The fridge will also suggest what to make based on foods it sees in your fridge. It will also tell you how long items have been in there and tell you if you should use them or get rid of them.

jillcrate

We have one of those ugly steal industrial type dishwashers and it does not do a good job!

Alot of times I look at stuff after its been thru a supposed session and stuff is still dirty!!

If I had to get a newer one and it was WIFI enabled,I would destroy the WIFI part..... Im sick of all this newer "smart" crap.......

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My turn for dishwasher shopping. Wanted a Bosch 800 at Home Depot. Nope out of stock indefinitely.
They have a Frigidaire in stock with a stainless steel tub. Priced a bit under the Bosch but similar features.
44 db noise rating. Is that quiet by comparison to your guys models? I have not seen any mention of DB level of your dishwashers.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brian. That one is in stock at the lowes closest to me. Perfect.