• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a hard time believing that the antibodies from a Delta variant infection would not offer any protection from Omicron.
Unless its not a variant of COVID 19 and is a new virus.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a hard time believing that the antibodies from a Delta variant infection would not offer any protection from Omicron.
Unless its not a variant of COVID 19 and is a new virus.
If you look at the structure of the omicron variant you will see how different it is from delta. It is not evolution from delta to omicron, but rather omicron evolved from a different variant. Progressions of variants are not linear. That is why, if you recall, the Kent variant evolved in England (a year ago) and the Delta variant evolved from India, while Omicron evolved from South Africa.

Ironman

The United States has a vaccination rate nearly four times that of South Africa.

0DD23D68-21BC-4A4F-A61C-16C7F9FF9C89.jpeg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
If you look at the structure of the omicron variant you will see how different it is from delta. It is not evolution from delta to omicron, but rather omicron evolved from a different variant. Progressions of variants are not linear. That is why, if you recall, the Kent variant evolved in England (a year ago) and the Delta variant evolved from India, while Omicron evolved from South Africa.
But both the vaccine and antibodies worked on all the other variants and they developed in the same way. But I have read that they can combine and defeat vaccines and antibodies. Everyone is lucky it mild. Hopefully this will be the end.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But both the vaccine and antibodies worked on all the other variants and they developed in the same way. But I have read that they can combine and defeat vaccines and antibodies. Everyone is lucky it mild. Hopefully this will be the end.
I had a stress test last month. The Doctor and I got to talking of Covid and the variants. He had just flown back from FL and had to wear a mask on the flight. He does believe masks help, but unclear one what degree of protection it offers. He also said he believes Covid and masks will be a way of life for all of us for years to come. He does not see it going away.

=====
If covid came from a lab. Was it on purpose? If on purpose, to reduce world population or to fuck the world, whose to say the variants are not also created in a lab and then released in South Africa, or India or the US? How can we know the variants do not come from a lab?

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All the other variants developed the way that all variants evolve, they adapt from their host and mutate some become dominant and some become recessive. Omicron is believed to have been created in a HIV+ patient who caught covid. So omicron is a variant of that individual and it adapted and evolved from that point. Highly contagious but far more mild. And it may well be the end, or at least the beginning of the end, of serious covid.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a stress test last month. The Doctor and I got to talking of Covid and the variants. He had just flown back from FL and had to wear a mask on the flight. He does believe masks help, but unclear one what degree of protection it offers...
I've had similar discussions with my doctors and all have been quite frank, when pushed. Most masks are worthless, especially high on the list of worthless (fashion accessories) are all the various cloth masks.

N95 masks offer a fairly high degree of protection for up to a few hours. Surgical masks are good enough for short durations, 20 minutes or so, but not much longer than that.

If a mask does not fight tight to the face and seal well it is worthless. N95 masks, properly fitted, seal tight all around the face by design. Surgical masks are typically very loose and are actually just designed to keep the surgeon's spittle from entering a patient's wound, they do that job well, but don't protect well from any sort of virus.

This virus is airborne and any loose fitting mask of any type won't work.

Reactions: Doc
The spik
To that point, a mask can not seal against facial hair. So all men should shave three times a day, at least.
it is not suppose to seal, it suppose to prevent the vapour from going too far. With the some mask there is some space, you can't have a perfect seal because then you can't breath. Yeah in theory men should be shaving, but in practice it is pointless wearing a mask.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
it is not suppose to seal, it suppose to prevent the vapour from going too far. With the some mask there is some space, you can't have a perfect seal because then you can't breath. Yeah in theory men should be shaving, but in practice it is pointless wearing a mask.
Actually they are supposed to seal tightly around the perimeter.

You breathe THROUGH the mask material. Some like cotton or linen breath very easily; these types of masks also allow airflow around the sides since they don't seal. Some like the paper surgical masks breath reasonably well, they also leak airflow around the top, bottom and sides and are not designed to seal around the face. Vented N95 masks allow you to exhale easily but inhaling is fairly difficult especially while doing strenuous activities, they are designed to seal around their perimeter to your face. And unvented N95 masks are fairly difficult to use for extended time periods but still allow you to breathe through the material, the medical versions of these are the safest commonly used masks available. NIOSH certified N95 masks are a good second choice.

And yes, men with facial hair cannot get a seal around the mask.

Actually they are supposed to seal tightly around the perimeter.

You breathe THROUGH the mask material. Some like cotton or linen breath very easily; these types of masks also allow airflow around the sides since they don't seal. Some like the paper surgical masks breath reasonably well, they also leak airflow around the top, bottom and sides and are not designed to seal around the face. Vented N95 masks allow you to exhale easily but inhaling is fairly difficult especially while doing strenuous activities, they are designed to seal around their perimeter to your face. And unvented N95 masks are fairly difficult to use for extended time periods but still allow you to breathe through the material, the medical versions of these are the safest commonly used masks available. NIOSH certified N95 masks are a good second choice.

And yes, men with facial hair cannot get a seal around the mask.
It restricts the airflow though, the more you restrict the air flow the worse it is.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It restricts the airflow though, the more you restrict the air flow the worse it is.

Not sure I understand your point. Other than to agree with what I wrote. Obviously masks restrict some airflow.

As for the test you cite, there are hundreds of tests, and most seem to invalidate each other. I don't really care about any of those test videos.

I do know that we have top college athletes using masks, often N95 masks, and performing at top level. As a coach I see that happen in tournaments around the country. These athletes are winning medals and championships while wearing masks and exerting themselves to their limits and somehow the masks don't seem to be hindering them.

Not sure I understand your point. Other than to agree with what I wrote. Obviously masks restrict some airflow.

As for the test you cite, there are hundreds of tests, and most seem to invalidate each other. I don't really care about any of those test videos.

I do know that we have top college athletes using masks, often N95 masks, and performing at top level. As a coach I see that happen in tournaments around the country. These athletes are winning medals and championships while wearing masks and exerting themselves to their limits and somehow the masks don't seem to be hindering them.
Depending how the mask is used. it can make you sick, bacteria and fungus growth is a problem with mask. A guy like me with pretty bad asthma and maybe other health problem problems lowers my breathing ability. I can only wear a cloth one for about 3 to 5 minutes. I tried a mask from South Korea and those I can't wear them for 30 seconds without coughing.
Average person isn't an athlete. Well wait a few years and see, if they wear it long and often enough they can get a bacteria infection of the lungs. I like to see your athlete run with a bacteria infection of the lung.

"The source of bacterial contamination in SMs was the body surface of the surgeons rather than the OR environment. Moreover, we recommend that surgeons should change the mask after each operation, especially those beyond 2 hours. Double-layered SMs or those with excellent filtration function may also be a better alternative."

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Depending how the mask is used. it can make you sick, bacteria and fungus growth is a problem with mask. A guy like me with pretty bad asthma and maybe other health problem problems lowers my breathing ability. I can only wear a cloth one for about 3 to 5 minutes. I tried a mask from South Korea and those I can't wear them for 30 seconds without coughing.
Average person isn't an athlete. Well wait a few years and see, if they wear it long and often enough they can get a bacteria infection of the lungs. I like to see your athlete run with a bacteria infection of the lung.

"The source of bacterial contamination in SMs was the body surface of the surgeons rather than the OR environment. Moreover, we recommend that surgeons should change the mask after each operation, especially those beyond 2 hours. Double-layered SMs or those with excellent filtration function may also be a better alternative."
I agree, at best you are re breathing some of your exhale. Thats 100% humidity, add some bacteria and its a recipe for Pneumonia.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting research, not a lot of press on this yet but I'm looking for corroboration. From Bloomberg but found on the Bakersfield news website, says it was distributed by Tribune Media. Given the 2 big news source names one would expect wider coverage?

T cells come to the rescue as studies show they buck omicron

• Marthe Fourcade and Michelle Fay Cortez Bloomberg News (TNS)
An unsung arm of the immune system appears to protect against severe disease with the omicron variant even when antibodies wane, helping to explain why a record wave of infections hasn’t engulfed hospitals so far.
T cells, the body’s weapon against virus-infected cells, were primed enough by vaccination that they defended against omicron in separate studies from Erasmus University in the Netherlands and the University of Cape Town in South Africa.
The findings could help explain why the wave of omicron cases hasn’t so far caused a surge in mortality from South Africa to the U.S. and the U.K. Unlike antibodies, T cells can target the whole of the virus’s spike protein, which remains largely similar even in the highly mutated omicron.
The Dutch researchers looked at 60 vaccinated health-care workers and found that while their antibody responses to omicron were lower or nonexistent compared with the beta and delta variants, T cell responses were largely unaltered, “potentially balancing the lack of neutralizing antibodies in preventing or limiting severe Covid-19.”
The study from the University of Cape Town’s Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine looked at patients who had recovered from Covid or been vaccinated with shots from Pfizer Inc. and partner BioNTech SE or Johnson & Johnson. They found that 70% to 80% of the T cell responses they assessed held up against omicron.
Recent weeks have brought evidence that the new strain can erode vaccine protection, prompting governments to push for booster shots to raise the level of antibodies that can fight off the variant.
But immune protection has several layers. While antibodies block infection, T cells kill infected cells, preventing the virus from spreading and causing worse disease, Wendy Burgens, one of the University of Cape Town study authors, wrote on her Twitter account Virus Monologues. “They can’t prevent you from getting infected, but they can minimize the damage that comes afterwards,” she said.
T cells are white blood cells that can remember past diseases, kill virus-infected cells and rouse antibodies to marshal defenses. People infected with another coronavirus that was responsible for the SARS outbreak in 2003, for example, were found to still have a T-cell response to the disease 17 years later.
Another study found booster shots increased the production of T cells in the face of an omicron infection. Giving J&J’s vaccine to people who had previously received a messenger RNA shot yielded better results, though a third dose of Pfizer and BioNTech’s immunization also led to higher levels of cellular immunity and neutralizing antibodies after one month, according to findings from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
———
©2021 Bloomberg L.P. Visit bloomberg.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
To add- we have a staff member fully vaccinated who tested positive today.
However, the seasonal flu is also starting to make it's rounds in our facility and others in the surrounding counties.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To add- we have a staff member fully vaccinated who tested positive today.
However, the seasonal flu is also starting to make it's rounds in our facility and others in the surrounding counties.
Seems like Omicron is hitting everyone I know (but not my immediate family).

The unvaccinated.
The vaccinated.
The vaccinated with boosters.

It is different enough from the original covid and even the other variants that it is just going to get everyone.

I'm currently worried about our foreign exchange student. She is in NY for a fencing camp. Flies to LA on New Year's Day to attend another 4 day intensive fencing camp. Then flies to San Jose for the 2nd biggest national fencing tournament of the year before she flies back home and I pick her up in Chicago on Jan 8th. Even if she is very careful she will be in contact with so many people who are traveling from so many different places.

Kobe (our part time foster son's) grandmother tested positive today. Normally we have him Sunday thru Wednesday but she felt sick yesterday and asked us to keep him an extra day. Now we have him for the foreseeable future. We are scheduled to take him to Florida with us in mid-January so it is likely we will have him for the better part of next month and already have had him for a week. Her whole family is sick.

Some of my fencers are sick. We have friends who are sick. It is pretty crazy.

Fortunately none are in the hospital. Some are miserable. Some have mild cases. But so many are sick and more are getting sick every day. Forecast is that 60% of the population will have gotten sick by the end of March.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More information from Dr Campbell out of England. Much of the data is from the US. But he clearly shows that Omicron is both MORE infectious and LESS than prior covid variants. Delta is still strong in many parts of the nation, but Omicron is rapidly taking over.

Looks like Omicron will move us past the PANDEMIC and into the ENDEMIC stage, where cases are milder and it will transition into a seasonal sort of thing like the common cold, seasonal flu, etc.

In a prior video Dr Campbell looks at some new science out of South Africa, which is very promising. T Cells seem to respond well to either the vaccine or natural immunity from those previously infected. That basically means that Omicron will be statistically milder for those two groups of people. The unvaccinated who do not have natural immunity are at the greatest risk, but even that risk seems to be lower.

This video is more of a data recap.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure I'm just getting over Omicron. The first two days kind of sucked but otherwise it has just been a bad cold with some lingering congestion. I'm still getting 1-2 workouts in everyday.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Taste and smell?
Apparently, Omicron doesn't impact those as much as the other strains. Had the hot and cold flashes and my fingers seem to be extra cold sensitive. All the other cruddy stuff too but it's mostly passed now. I was vaxxed too so I suspect the symptoms to not be so bad for me.

echo

Me No Worry about politics.
We had the germ two years ago.
Still have hot/cold flashes.
When all the politician's get richer, these viruses will go away.
Oh they lost my shot record and I won't tell, let them figure it out.
My Doctor never mentioned my shots at all?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have a link to this data?

The actual Worldmeter website does not have Jan 1, 2022 data uploaded. It does have Dec 31. 5947 Deaths on that date.

There is no question that omicron is less fatal. But we need to have accurate data.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 10.37.28 PM.png

Ironman

Do you have a link to this data?

The actual Worldmeter website does not have Jan 1, 2022 data uploaded. It does have Dec 31. 5947 Deaths on that date.

There is no question that omicron is less fatal. But we need to have accurate data.

View attachment 142850
No I can’t find that link atm….