• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well isn't that just ironic. Your gate looks great. I built one this week as well out of wood. We have 3 decks covering the entire western side of the house. The one off the kitchen has a metal gate so we can let the dogs out there. The deck off our bedroom didn't have one so I whipped something together out of 2x4s. Not fancy but it does the trick. I still have to stain iView attachment 164847View attachment 164848I was short a treated 2x4 but had an untreated one leftover. Stain will protect it. I didn't feel like another trip to the city for a 2x4. Use what I got. Lol.
No worries.
The treatment they give wood today is relatively useless against weathering. The stain will work.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
for this weekihave been getting up at 4:30a then chores, after chores weed wacker until 7a then working in the shop catching up a project that need to go out the door next week. The help always cringes when I have to bail them out because they were failing to meet there obligations. I make it so pleasant that afterward it doesn't happen again for many moons.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After spending a couple weeks in pain, largely due to busting my butt to remodel my older daughter's new condominium and tearing a bicep muscle in the process, I took a day off yesterday. My body needed that!

1500sq ft of carpets torn out, 1500sq ft of wood laminate installed, new baseboards 90% installed, 2 new doors hung, new hallway built, 2 new walls built, kitchen demolished and 1/2 way rebuilt. Only the bathrooms were left alone.

Lots of fast food eaten, and while some of the work is hard, it is not exercise or overly active.

Dasha and I went to lunch at DUCK DUCK GOAT in Chicago, walked a couple miles along the Chicago lakeshore after lunch and then to O'Hare airport to put her on a flight to San Francisco so she can start an internship at Apple Computer. Not sure if I will see her while she is in California, so yesterday could have been our last time together until Notre Dame starts the fall semester.

Food was excellent but I ate sensibly, left the restaurant full, but not stuffed, it was a healthy way to eat a meal. Carried home a lot of left overs.

178# on the scale, but feeling good.

Body rest days today, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Back to remodeling on Thursday. Hopefully a few days off will give my bicep tear the rest it needs.

tempImagelJQuS8.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Fasting today as I have a full annual physical on Monday.
My only issue is an irregular heartbeat. Started after the third bout with COVID. And, it hasn't gone away.

Company is closed and this week should be the last work getting everything out of the building.
Officially retired.
So, it would seem I am about to embark on that period of life known as "Old Age."

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Still getting up at 4:30, 6am chores and weed wacking then working in the shop for 8 hours. We just got slammed with a bunch of extra projects that have to be done by the 4th of July. This is my life until then. I don't mind the work but it gets a little hotter everyday.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Running me arse off as usual lately. I typically hit the ground running in the morning as no matter what I do in the morning lately, my back is done by 2pm. So I figure if I can stand, I'm getting stuff done. I started by emptying the boat of camping gear and Jerry cans from last weekend's fishing trip up north. Then I turned my attention to installing the last of the batteries I had removed last fall and getting a charge going on the gas powered golf cart battery. Then I switched over to doing some final touches and modifications to the gate on the deck before staining both it and the other railing I built last fall. That turned in to scraping and staining the hand railing on the deck off our kitchen. We have a triple layer deck covering 60x16 roughly the whole back of the house. This is all before 2pm. When I couldn't stand anymore, I sat my butt in the side by side and rode over to check the mail. Then home to put my feet up

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My right arm/shoulder hurts like crazy where I tore the muscle a couple weeks ago. It had been healing, I've been trying to minimize lifting, etc.

Probably didn't help that I carried a bag of cement and rebuilt a small section of decorative concrete block retaining wall earlier in the day. Thought I could do it. Well I did do it. Guess I shouldn't have done it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
My right arm/shoulder hurts like crazy where I tore the muscle a couple weeks ago. It had been healing, I've been trying to minimize lifting, etc.

Probably didn't help that I carried a bag of cement and rebuilt a small section of decorative concrete block retaining wall earlier in the day. Thought I could do it. Well I did do it. Guess I shouldn't have done it.
Likely you didn't tear the muscle you just strained it real good now its spasmed into a contracted position and that hurts like hell. You were working out regular that made you stronger and conditioned you muscles. You laid off the working out some, you are still as strong as when you were working out regular but lost conditioning, thats why you pulled the muscle. I have experienced it before and about the only way for it to go away is take your other hand and push your fingers into your shoulder, you will find clusters of very tight muscles that when you push on them it feel like you are breaking your shoulder and they will move around making it difficult to apply pressure, but thats exactly what you have to do on each and every one of those pulled muscles until you feel them relax. Also use extra strength tiger balm. It could take a month or more to work it all out. Sometimes you can just start working out again to relieve it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I could do it. Well, I did do it. Guess I shouldn't have done it.

That's been the story of my life lately. I've been having back spasms for quite some time. I even went to the doctor and got a couple of shots, He said they would last 3 weeks to 3 months. They lasted maybe 2 weeks. When I work outside, they ease up a bit and I start feeling better so I overdo it but when I cool down they come back with a vengeance. The doctor also said that rest would make them go away eventually but I can't lay around doing nothing for that length of time. I've got too much to get done. If it doesn't ease up soon, it's going to be a long, hard summer.

Bob, I'm telling you what my wife tells me, "Don't kill yourself". Good advice. I wish I could take it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Must be something in the air. I had all these great plans to whip the old Pontiac grand am into the shop and swap over the summer tires and winter tires along with the semi annual tremclad rust touch up. But by 8am, wasn't even dressed for the day and using a cane to walk 20ft from the back pain. And my wife and kids wondered last summer why I didn't get the summer tires installed.

The car is just a beater for me to run back and forth to the city and play taxi service shuttling kids to and from appointments. It didn't cost much and is cheap to insure and saves mileage on the truck.

snobike

at work, working, you guys are entertaining, please keep it up. headed to northern Wisconsin this evening for the holiday weekend. camping, 4 wheeling, kayaking and build a small deck. ahhhhhhh, and campfire with rums and cokes

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Must be something in the air. I had all these great plans to whip the old Pontiac grand am into the shop and swap over the summer tires and winter tires along with the semi annual tremclad rust touch up. But by 8am, wasn't even dressed for the day and using a cane to walk 20ft from the back pain. And my wife and kids wondered last summer why I didn't get the summer tires installed.

The car is just a beater for me to run back and forth to the city and play taxi service shuttling kids to and from appointments. It didn't cost much and is cheap to insure and saves mileage on the truck.
What year GA?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Big weekend workload planned. Everything personal at my former business to be hauled to the house or the storage units.

Furniture, Fixtures, lawnmowers (5 of 'em ?) two gasoline power washers, Crossfire wheels and parts along with a special Chrysler Crossfire tool box. Two runabout boats and an 89 vintage 80 HP Mercury outboard of which I have no memory of ever purchasing.
I also have a cement mixer, wind powered generator, an 50's era cultivator/rototiller plus five pallets of landscape wall blocks.

All this work stuff was for my retirement years. I guess they are here. :UtOh2:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Big weekend workload planned. Everything personal at my former business to be hauled to the house or the storage units.

Furniture, Fixtures, lawnmowers (5 of 'em ?) two gasoline power washers, Crossfire wheels and parts along with a special Chrysler Crossfire tool box. Two runabout boats and an 89 vintage 80 HP Mercury outboard of which I have no memory of ever purchasing.
I also have a cement mixer, wind powered generator, an 50's era cultivator/rototiller plus five pallets of landscape wall blocks.

All this work stuff was for my retirement years. I guess they are here. :UtOh2:
Im right behind you, less than 2 years

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not looking forward to sunday pulling my 500ft deep well were not getting water at camp.
I hung pump on 1/2" poly rope so i can pull it up with the backhoe wrapping the rope around an old rim bolted to tractor tire.
The kids are coming up to handle the poly pipe untill I get to the schedule 120 threaded sections at the bottom that have to be unscrewed

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not looking forward to sunday pulling my 500ft deep well were not getting water at camp.
I hung pump on 1/2" poly rope so i can pull it up with the backhoe wrapping the rope around an old rim bolted to tractor tire.
The kids are coming up to handle the poly pipe untill I get to the schedule 120 threaded sections at the bottom that have to be unscrewed
Sonds like family fun LOL.
500 feet. that's 50 sections.
Geez!
I do hope you have lots of kids. That's a lot of work.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
pump time is never fun

J.J. McDaniels

Today, I'll have a price on my new roof. I'm both dreading and looking forward to it. But it's only just the beginning. There is much work to do. From there, I'll move onto the foundation, paint inside and out, some remodeling, and I'm going build a privacy fence. And later, I think I'm going to get a dog.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sonds like family fun LOL.
500 feet. that's 50 sections.
Geez!
I do hope you have lots of kids. That's a lot of work.
10 or 12 20 ft threaded sections at bottom black poly from there up to pitlless adaptor.
Im hoping for a pipe problem, not replacing a $1800 solar pump the other hand it could be as "easy" as well is dry :UtOh2:
wich is another issue in it self costing thousands. were at 2100 above sea level and well is 500 ft so there still a lot to drill not that i want to do that.

J.J. McDaniels

$42,202 for a new roof including any and all rotting wood to be replaced with vinyl and the works. It’s pricy, yes. But needed. The only drawback is more debt with a two year payment plan, when I was just six months shy of being debt free. I feel it’s a small, but worthy price to pay.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went up to Home Depot and the lovely Mrs_Bob walked up to the service counter and negotiated a $500 discount on the flooring that I already installed in Melen's Chiraq condominium because they screwed up our delivery. While she was 'negotiating' I was shopping for tools and supplies.

Then continued north to the condo and installed a bunch of 1/4 Round to hold the flooring in place. I intended to do some electrical work, but Melen needed the internet for meetings and I didn't want to shut down her power while I went around testing circuits. Left the wife up there and she is supposed to be helping paint the walls??? I'll go back tomorrow late afternoon.

Picked up a dozen nice ostrich ferns from a lady the next town over and planted those among our hosta plants along a shady fence line. She charged me $40 for a dozen. The garden center sells them for $12.95 per plant for similar size ferns.

snobike

it was a fantastic weekend, full sunshine and millions of Mosquitos, blew my back out and now will give the doc a few hunert to get it back in shape.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Went up to Home Depot and the lovely Mrs_Bob walked up to the service counter and negotiated a $500 discount on the flooring that I already installed in Melen's Chiraq condominium because they screwed up our delivery. While she was 'negotiating' I was shopping for tools and supplies.

Then continued north to the condo and installed a bunch of 1/4 Round to hold the flooring in place. I intended to do some electrical work, but Melen needed the internet for meetings and I didn't want to shut down her power while I went around testing circuits. Left the wife up there and she is supposed to be helping paint the walls??? I'll go back tomorrow late afternoon.

Picked up a dozen nice ostrich ferns from a lady the next town over and planted those among our hosta plants along a shady fence line. She charged me $40 for a dozen. The garden center sells them for $12.95 per plant for similar size ferns.
Thats a good buy on Ostrich ferns. While not considered invasive, they do spread and can fill a whole garden space over time. A nice bed of them is always attractive.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I decided that this morning was the morning I was finally going to get some air vents installed on the utv windshield before I bring it to camp for the summer. They work great cooling me down when the temperatures are hot outside.
20230530_094157.jpg
20230530_094212.jpg

When I was done that, I washed the 99 Pontiac grand am beater car and pulled it into the garage to swap out the summer tires and give it the semi annual "lipstick on a pig" tremclad rust treatment.
20230530_114215.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Took Sunday off for a BBQ with some friends and family, worked yesterday and got a month of Mondays left before it slows down. Cabin is taking a back seat again.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
UI finished loading one 20 foot CONEX box with my son's "stuff"
Stem to stern, top to bottom, with washer, Dryer, Stove Furniture and fixtures from his three bedroom apartment.

The second CONEX is only half full of me and Cathy's suff. "SO FAR!"

We were going to sell them and buy newer ones for Hippie ridge however, one company said they would ship them there, even fully loaded, for less than that would cost.

Life got simple. Yeah!

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We took 6 hours to pull our well pump at camp.
I couldn't get pitless adaptor to pop loose ended up using my high lift jack to pull it up
Then 3 ft at a cycle using the backhoe to lift pump clamp the pipe amd repeat 400 ft up thats 130 cycles to get it up:eek:
I checked well had 40 foot of water at the bottom