• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is anyone going to travel in a month to see the total eclipse?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll see it on Monday as it passes right over the house but would I travel to see it? ... I don't think so! I'm having a tough time understanding the hysteria surrounding this event.

The forecast is calling for clouds and rain so we may not see it after all but the lights should go out for a few minutes.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Traffic camera photo at 7:40pm this evening at mile marker 235, on Interstate 65, which is 2 hours northwest of Indianapolis, of traffic heading southbound toward Indianapolis. The center of the totality of the eclipse will pass just south of Indianapolis about 3pm tomorrow afternoon.

This traffic is NOT normal.

436338784_817307243767595_8967529085111989628_n.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We are packing up a picnic basket, we are driving south to see the full eclipse. Our destination is not Indianapolis or any other big city, we are planning to go to a small town away from “civilization” and enjoy the eclipse in relative quiet. There are lots of cities in the path of the full eclipse that are having parties and festivals, we are not looking for that excitement. Just want to take some pictures, enjoy our time together, have a nice lunch, see the eclipse.

Right now the interstate is looking pretty good, the side roads are also looking pretty clear. About a 2 hour drive to get to the small town of Thorntown, IN. Pretty much located 1/2 way between the interstate roadway and a major state highway. So I think it is 'far enough' away from major roads and considered "off the beaten path" so we should find relative calm and maybe quiet? Probably not. But that is our hope

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have partial clouds. Every few minutes they clear so we get a view.
Hard part right now is having a mentally disabled senior that's with us and getting him to use the glasses properly.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Well, I was East of the total darkness. It just got dark like about 30 minutes before dark on a normal cloudy day. It did get dark enough for the chickens to go their roost!!! My Big Red and cigar were enjoyable. Hope all enjoyed the early darkness.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty good viewing conditions here. Clouds came in-and-out.
Temperature dropped about 8 degrees.
Birds did act kind of weird. Silence, no birds in sight. Did hear owls when we hit near darkness.
It didn't turn as dark as I thought it would.
Birds are back.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was afraid to point my phone directly at the sky before totality, I was told it could damage it.
Once we reached totality I got the partial shot but found myself too caught up in looking at and listening to other things.
Like Brian mentioned, the birds.
They got very quiet, then the street lights came on.
A big crowd were gathered down at the park and started cheering.
Once it was over, the birds went crazy chirping and chattering like What the hell just happened??
Lol

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
It was incredible up here. Gorgeous day. My second total eclipse having seen one in Norfolk, VA on March 7, 1970. The next one up here is in about 50 years so I'm sure I'll miss that one. :LOL:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had perfect weather. It has been crap here with rain for days. But today cleared up. Temps warmed up from 40's to 75(F) and sunny.

Literally had an easy drive down to Thorntown Indiana, under 2 hours to get to the totality. Thornton is a small town with a nice park, we pulled in, there were a couple hundreds others, mostly semi-locals. Lots of Purdue shirts in the crowd (like 98% of the crowd). We chatted with strangers, had a picnic, it was nice.

The totality was actually far more awesome than I would have guessed. I honestly went in with zero expectations. I was blown away. Arrived 20 minutes before the eclipse started. Settled in with a picnic, lawn chairs and socializing with others. All good. Then it started and it was not terribly exciting at first. The sky turned a sort of odd color, but hard to describe. Says slowly darkened but were still far brighter than I expected, despite the odd color/sensatioin. It was nothing like going into dusk. And the temperature, which was bright sun and warm, 75 (F) all of a sudden started to plummet. Probably dropped 10 full degrees in very short order. All of a sudden the parking lot lights at the park lit up because it got dark enough. Couple minutes late we hit 'totality' and it was pitch black like night.

I tried taking photos. Tried talking movies. Tried various filters. Used a $1000 Panasonic Lumix camera with a Lecia lens. NOPE! Used my iPhone. Nope. Tried using filters over the lenses. None worked on either device. So crappy photos. But awesome memories.

Best photo I got was this one . . .
436351980_408915855216861_6186598247702994519_n.jpg