• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Had a stroke!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Last Wednesday morning was on the phone with the maintenance manager. All of a sudden my right lips started going numb, then the right side of my face, then my right arm.
I asked the guy I was talking to to call 911, I'm having a stroke.
Net net, very minor. I have full use of everything. A little numbness in the very tip of the pointer finger. That it.
They did two cat scans (one of them warns you up), an MRI, a heart ultrasound and a bubble test. I'm in good shape.
I may have this wrong, but a minor topical stroke.
I am being discharged tomorrow.
Gotta change some diet habits to get my bp down. On the ambulance ride, it was 220/140.
Anyway I feel fine and am very lucky. Very.

OP: I take calming supplements to keep my body/mind calm and yes get rid of high sodium foods and also sugars/carbs...majorally...reduce these big time.

Inositol is my favorite from the B family of vitamins....B's are important ...

I'm 82 and work to keep myself in good health....I want to go out healthy....in my sleep if I can do it.

And also slow down, even get into simple meditation, it does wonders for the body. Talk about calming it down.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
OP: I take calming supplements to keep my body/mind calm and yes get rid of high sodium foods and also sugars/carbs...majorally...reduce these big time.

Inositol is my favorite from the B family of vitamins....B's are important ...

I'm 82 and work to keep myself in good health....I want to go out healthy....in my sleep if I can do it.

No offense dude, but you're like on 6 other forums posting the same let's play a game threads, bumping old ones and all over the place.
Chill out.

No offense dude, but you're like on 6 other forums posting the same let's play a game threads, bumping old ones and all over the place.
Chill out.

You checking up on me, WHY???? What's wrong with some fun games?

Everyone is so angry with what is going on in our world and add some fun with games, is that so bad????

And the number of forums is my business, and yes I am working to get people to loosen up and get their minds off the outside noise and their health issues.

One forum I'm on has a huge games area and this forum has millions of members....

What do you have against Games??? And no dude in my house...

And I don't visit forums where I have no interest, we can all do that, can't we???

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Doctors give medical advice.
You a doctor?
I appreciate your trying to help, but seriously, leave it to the pros.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fred, that had to be scary for sure. Glad it turned out as it did. Man. We simply never know. Prayers for you for a full recovery. Take it easy man.

Last edited:
Doctors give medical advice.
You a doctor?
I appreciate your trying to help, but seriously, leave it to the pros.

I've left it to the pros and so has my daughter and we ended up in hospitals and ICU with their advice....then we BOTH got busy and learned how to heal so much of ourselves....there is TONS of info at our fingertips today and so much we can do to keep healthy without licensed ones.....and all their insurance and that heavy duty cost....

So so much info you won't get from the pros....and no I'm no doctor thank goodness and would not want to be one, but maybe a holistic/alternative one but it's way too late for me, so I do my work and share with those I come in contact with.

And I'm sure there are plenty of docs out there who would love to hang it up but are in too deep financially to get out.

Hope you will be fine, OP....

scotthouse

Oh my lord...... I am glad your ok Fred!!!!

I will say a prayer for you
icon7.gif

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good Lord, what's going on here. I am spending a lot of time praying for folks on this board lately. Fred, I've just added you to my list. Get better soon my friend.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Fred, please keep us updated. Hopes and prayers that you're going to have a good recovery.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Releasing me today. I have no stroke symptoms. I'm good.

WOW, great to hear. I was out of town with the family at a cabin and not checking the inter webs so this was a shock when I saw this thread.

GLAD TO HEAR you are doing well :thumbup:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Good news. Take care of yourself. Hopefully they find the cause of the stroke to avoid any future ones.

My brother is only 45. He's on his 3rd stroke. Not good.

I talk to myself to get an expert opinion.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be seeing the cardiologist tomorrow. I had very high BP. I am taking a 4 pills plus a low dose chewable aspirin.
I bought an Omrom BP machine. My BP is a little bit now, but under 140/800. I am bringing this device to his office with me so we can compare results of this little machine to a real BP machine.
I feel fine and no symptoms of a stroke. MRI confirmed I had an actual stroke.I think timing was of the essence - from the moment I recognized the issue to the time the ambulance showed up, was maybe 5 minutes, and 5 minutes to the hospital.
Too bad I didn't play Lotto that morning.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Omron is a good BP machine. I have one and have taken it to my Doctor's office to verify it's readings and they were right on.

I figure you are right about timing being of the essence. Good job figuring it out as quickly as you did. Yeah, you should have played the lotto that day. :thumb:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Stroke and heart attack ... they call it the golden hour for a reason. Your chances of survival or recovering without any disabilities greatly decrease after an hour without treatment.

I saw that with my own father. It was 1 hour and 20 minutes from the time that he had his stroke to the time they actually started treatment. He recovered and he recovered pretty well but he always had pins and needles in his left hand and when we'd walk he'd always drift off to the left. You had to keep on grabbing him and pulling him back. :smile: God, I miss that old man.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you get better I had a friend once that had a stroke two years later you couldn't tell he had ever had one his wife wasn't so lucky. my mom just had her second one. I think its about time I rat hole some emergency travel funds incase I have to make a trip real fast.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Been three months now.
I still have a slight tingling in the tips of my right thumb and right pointer finger.
Went to visit the doc today. We went over every tests they did at the hospital, and all the bloodwork. One by one - he took the time to do this, and there were lotsa tests.
Net-net - my heart is great, my arteries clear, no leaking between heart chambers, head and brain scans were find, blood work (who knew how many things can be checked with blood!) is all good except he wants me to work on raising my LDL. He says Olive oil will do the trick. So I guess I'll be dipping bread into olive oil jacked up with some roated garlic and spices every dinner. Too bad, eh?
Other than that, I am good!
I guess I will never win the lottery since I used up all my luck with this one.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good to know man. I'm so glad that you are doing well.

With my dad, that tingling in the hand, he called it pins and needles, never fully went away. He said that after a while it didn't bother him. He could just tune it out.