• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you have rear view mirrors on your tractor?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a lot of seat time the past few days. Great weather for getting the brush hogging and box blading done.
I find it harder to turn around to view completely behind me than I used to. Old age I suppose, but I have mirrors on the RTV so why not the tractor? The front end loader bar that goes across the top of the hood would be a likely place to mount them.

Anyone else beat me to this and have mirrors on their tractor? If so what kind did you get and where did you mount them?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never thought about it. But no. I supposed I could mount some on my F-E-L if I wanted to.

Reactions: Doc

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lol..

Mine have two power adjustment mirrors and a large internal mirror in the upper right inside of the cab for viewing right behind the center of the tractor.

AGCO and Caterpillar have been doing this for nearly 20 years. ;)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lol..

Mine have two power adjustment mirrors and a large internal mirror in the upper right inside of the cab for viewing right behind the center of the tractor.

AGCO and Caterpillar have been doing this for nearly 20 years. ;)
I'd have to bet that DOC and I are referring to Compact Utility Tractors in the sub-50hp range while you are using large agricultural machines designed for food production. Just my guess.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd have to bet that DOC and I are referring to Compact Utility Tractors in the sub-50hp range while you are using large agricultural machines designed for food production. Just my guess.
That is why the LOL in the top line....

Sorry could not resist... my bad.

That said, I say yes to any tractor having mirrors for view out the rear.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, I figured the big tractors with the enclosed cab and a/c would l have mirrors, no surprise there.
But I'd never seen them on a compact tractor. Shopping amazon I see the UTV mirrors like I've bought for side by sides all fit round bars from 1.6 inches to 2 inches diameter. The FEL horizonal bar is more like 1 inch diameter. I believe I can make them work on that by wrapping the bar to increase it's diameter. I ordered a cheap set and will give it a shot in a few days. Will post pics once installed.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Why mirrors? In today's world one could have two or three cameras looking exactly where you wanted.
LOL

• Haha

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have factory installed mirrors on my L4740 Kubota cabbed tractor. I have them folded back out of the way as they kept getting hit with stray branches as I bush hogged down in the "thicket". They would be useful as mowing down there requires a lot of backing up and, like you, my back and my neck suffer to the point that I can only do it for a few hours. And brother, you are right about old age.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I know I joked about this. My experiences with my Case Doze and 9N ford tractor suggest arear view mirror was an unnecessary item I might knock off when it got in my way.

Having spent some 16hours on my JD backhoe excavator, I'm inclined to agree.

For one thing it would help me keep it up and closed whenever the hydraulics would bleed off. Also, it might keep me from running into the outhouse which I almost did several time last week end.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No prob Franc. I was going to ask how it went with the backhoe work. 16 hours holy chit. Guessing that was over two days but still that is a lot of seat time.
I ordered and returned the ATV mirrors I thought I would make work on the tractor. Another fellow on the tractor forum has a small backup / rear camera that words better than mirrors. I'll probably give that a shot but so far I've procrastinated. Battery went dead on the tractor and I didn't want ot add a backup camera to the mix.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
No prob Franc. I was going to ask how it went with the backhoe work. 16 hours holy chit. Guessing that was over two days but still that is a lot of seat time.
I ordered and returned the ATV mirrors I thought I would make work on the tractor. Another fellow on the tractor forum has a small backup / rear camera that words better than mirrors. I'll probably give that a shot but so far I've procrastinated. Battery went dead on the tractor and I didn't want ot add a backup camera to the mix.
So far, I've been uncomfortable with rental cars having the back up cameras. No incidents, it just felt weird.

I have some extension mirrors for when I tow the big trailer. I'm gonna try my luck with them.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess I'm similar in that I have two vehicles with the back up camera but I still rely more on the mirrors. I prefer them to the camera unless I'm trying to position the ball under the trailer hitch. Back up cameras are the bees knees for getting that task done easy peezy.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess I'm similar in that I have two vehicles with the back up camera but I still rely more on the mirrors. I prefer them to the camera unless I'm trying to position the ball under the trailer hitch. Back up cameras are the bees knees for getting that task done easy peezy.
Yes, to that task I will agree.

Old Catskinner

I've got a lot of seat time the past few days. Great weather for getting the brush hogging and box blading done.
I find it harder to turn around to view completely behind me than I used to. Old age I suppose, but I have mirrors on the RTV so why not the tractor? The front end loader bar that goes across the top of the hood would be a likely place to mount them.

Anyone else beat me to this and have mirrors on their tractor? If so what kind did you get and where did you mount them?
Use 6" round Peterbilt spot mirrors. Cut an old inner tube about 4" square then fold in half, place under mounting bracket to prevent rust and vibration. Then bolt on existing bolts on loader arms or just drill a couple new holes. 1 on each side. Floor mat also works. I have a jd450C crawler and it works like a charm.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Use 6" round Peterbilt spot mirrors. Cut an old inner tube about 4" square then fold in half, place under mounting bracket to prevent rust and vibration. Then bolt on existing bolts on loader arms or just drill a couple new holes. 1 on each side. Floor mat also works. I have a jd450C crawler and it works like a charm.
Thanks Old Catskinner. I will try that for sure. :tiphat:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I missed this thread the first time round. I got a Kioti NX5510 this year with a cab and of course it has mirrors. My smaller tractor and excavator don't need mirrors since the field of view is pretty good.

I also got some magnetic mirrors for my SkidSteer which are useful when working close around things that you need to not run into to (like the house) . They work pretty good but are easily knocked off if working around tree branches and stuff - but that is why they are removable.

Ironman

We have rear view mirrors our 580M backhoes but I never use them. I have to see what’s going on around me all over. I might glance when I’m going down the road at it. Got used to not needing one I guess from back in the day.

Roosterfish

I added 1 mirror to my tractor after I built a 4 post steel "canopy". It's a military surplus truck style... under $20 from Sportsman's guide or one of their offshoots.
My neck turning is suffering from age also!😄

tonkeeparts

1. Mirror Selection: Look for convex or wide-angle mirrors designed for tractors or similar vehicles. These provide a broader field of view.
  2. Mounting: Consider mounting them on the front end loader bar, as you mentioned. Ensure they are securely attached to withstand vibration and maintain position while operating.
  3. Adjustability: Choose mirrors with adjustable angles to fine-tune your view.
  4. Safety: Ensure the mirrors don't obstruct your view of the controls or create any safety hazards.