• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Upcoming 500mile/800km hike: Southern France, over Pyrenees Mtns, then across Spain

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I went digging around in the hall closet and found my Ahnu hiking shoes. I hadn't worn them in well over a year. They're light, about a pound, and waterproof. They're still leather though. I think I'll wear them for a week and see if they are still as comfortable as I remember. That'll still give me time to decide before the trip. I have a pair of Merrel lightweight, mesh hiking shoes that I wear around town and to the gym all the time but I don't think that they are sturdy enough and give enough support for what could be a fairly strenuous day hike carrying a pack.

I looked at a pair of Zamberlain hiking boots when in Durango this past summer. I can't remember what model they were but I decided against getting them as fairly easy day hikes are about all I do these days. I may have to reconsider.

Last edited:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This 'Thread' is taking on the distinct flavor of the recent Robert Redford movie A WALK IN THE WOODS,... I hear the book is much better!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This 'Thread' is taking on the distinct flavor of the recent Robert Redford movie A WALK IN THE WOODS,... I hear the book is much better!

I picked up the book in an airport while a flight was delayed, sat and laughed out loud because it was so funny.

Watched the movie version a few days ago and it was horrible. Nick Nolte was actually pretty good in his role, but some of the funniest parts of the book were eliminated, they didn't have time to develop characters well enough ... sad that the movie sucked so badly :sad:

If there is to be humor in this upcoming walk it will probably involve my inability to speak Spanish. I've been to Spain a couple times in the past and can ask for directions to the bathroom or a glass of red wine, but that is about as far as I can go with my Spanish language. This should be interesting to see if I can finally learn enough of the language to manage my way across a nation on foot.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am in the sleep apnea business. That transcend has been around a longtime and is most popular. Partly because they were the only ones made a portable for a long time.

The Z1 is new and I try to avoid anything proprietary for disposables. Had a hiker the other day new to cpap and that was his first concern. He worked so hard to get his gear light by ounces and now he his carrying a CPAP. His research landed him on the transcend. I would personally go auto transcend. Sometimes the auto lasts longer on battery because the blower runs less over all compared to fixed cpap pressure.

Other option based on severity of the apnea is a dental device for the hiking nights or less effective provent nasal strips. What is your plan for charging up the transcend nightly? They do have lightweight solar charging system that will charge the multi night.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am in the sleep apnea business. That transcend has been around a longtime and is most popular. Partly because they were the only ones made a portable for a long time.

The Z1 is new and I try to avoid anything proprietary for disposables. Had a hiker the other day new to cpap and that was his first concern. He worked so hard to get his gear light by ounces and now he his carrying a CPAP. His research landed him on the transcend. I would personally go auto transcend. Sometimes the auto lasts longer on battery because the blower runs less over all compared to fixed cpap pressure.

Other option based on severity of the apnea is a dental device for the hiking nights or less effective provent nasal strips. What is your plan for charging up the transcend nightly? They do have lightweight solar charging system that will charge the multi night.

This trip will NOT require tent camping. There are accommodations all along the route (dorm style sleeping rooms) with limited power outlets. Consequently I will not even be needing a battery.

I was leaning toward the Transcend unit despite the added weight. I really dislike the idea of the proprietary filter on the Z1 unit. The Transcend seems to have a washable foam filter which seems reasonable. Also the Transcend is less expensive and given that this is going to be used ONLY for travel, no need to spend as much money on a portable as on the one sitting next to my bedside at home.

For whatever it is worth, my beside unit is an auto model, but I kept waking up gasping for air as if I was suffocating. I had it reprogramed to provide 12# of steady pressure and now I sleep like a baby!!!

akmountaineer

My fit and active folks did this trip last spring and I was their support team stateside. After finishing, they decided the Camino Frances wasn't long enough so they went on to do the Potuguese, Fisterra, and finally the Primativo, exhausting all routes to Santiago before they decided they were ready for a break. They had a great time and I'm sure you will too. It's quite a unique cultural experience - one that I plan on experiencing myself after I retire in another 20 years. :clap:

Attachments

• Camino Cumulative.jpg
    Camino Cumulative.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 147

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My fit and active folks did this trip last spring and I was their support team stateside. After finishing, they decided the Camino Frances wasn't long enough so they went on to do the Potuguese, Fisterra, and finally the Primativo, exhausting all routes to Santiago before they decided they were ready for a break. They had a great time and I'm sure you will too. It's quite a unique cultural experience - one that I plan on experiencing myself after I retire in another 20 years. :clap:

Damn!!!! Do they sell those pills your folks are on over the counter or are they prescription only????? :whistling:

More power to them. Count me as an admirer!!!!! Never, ever, give in to advancing years!!!! It's a state of mind.

akmountaineer

Damn!!!! Do they sell those pills your folks are on over the counter or are they prescription only????? :whistling:

More power to them. Count me as an admirer!!!!! Never, ever, give in to advancing years!!!! It's a state of mind.

Amen to that. They are quite an inspiration to us kids and others. They just got back from their latest adventure trekking in the Himalayas to Annapurna, Everest, and a few other places, climbing to altitudes of 20,000 feet :biggrin:.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Amen to that. They are quite an inspiration to us kids and others. They just got back from their latest adventure trekking in the Himalayas to Annapurna, Everest, and a few other places, climbing to altitudes of 20,000 feet :biggrin:.

Good grief!!!!!

I'm sorry to admit it but I start to feel it these days from about 10,000 feet. Below that I'm still good for a few miles. :wink:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just hoping to finish the 500 miles before my right hip goes out.

Honestly thinking at that I'll be having it replaced at some point, hopefully after completing this hike.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Melsdad, you're pretty young for a hip replacement but I suppose it depends on what you've subjected it to up till now.

I'm not sure that a 500 mile trek through northern Spain is what I'd want to do on a brand new replacement. Should make for one hell of a story though. Can't wait to read about it.

Right now, my wife is having hell with her hip, lower back. They can't find anything structurally wrong with it so they are coming round to the opinion that it's her sciatic nerve. That Tens machine may come in useful after all.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Melsdad, you're pretty young for a hip replacement but I suppose it depends on what you've subjected it to up till now.

I'm not sure that a 500 mile trek through northern Spain is what I'd want to do on a brand new replacement. Should make for one hell of a story though. Can't wait to read about it.

Right now, my wife is having hell with her hip, lower back. They can't find anything structurally wrong with it so they are coming round to the opinion that it's her sciatic nerve. That Tens machine may come in useful after all.

Or a taser :whistling:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Actually. That movie has special meaning for me. A group from my church traveled there last summer and walked a portion of the route. About the time they got there, I had a bad accident and was in very bad shape in the hospital. The group banded together and prayed for me along their travels. It really meant a lot to me for them to do that.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NE-Iowa

That's awesome! I hope you're feeling better and all recovered now! I actually grew up in France.
Cheers.
Frederique B.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. Sadly my recovery will be a loooooong process. Right now I'm working on walking without a cane or walker for more than a couple minutes.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Umberto

My #3 son walked the Camino in 2005 afrer graduating from U of WA - the obligatory Euro tour a lot of grads do. He had a great time and said he picked up a lot of Spanish along the way - having worked with Mexicans helped a bit. He got lost in a blizzard in the Pyrenees and just made it to the albergue when they were sending a search team out to find him. His buddy was a faster walker and left him behind so they knew he was out there. After that the weather was beautiful. The water is fine most places and some faucets were lated not potable. The drank a lot of wine - one place had an outdoor wine faucet and you just filled up your cup for a drink as you passed by.

They walked some in Italy, France, Germany, CZ, Poland, England, and Netherlands - used trains, too. They were gone for almost 3 months. He lost so much weight I hardly recognized him when he got off the plane.

We lived in Germany and the kids took German but so many folks speak English, it wasn't a problem.

As far as undergarmets go, I wear exficio shorts and U/A tops - they wash out in the shower (or stream) and dry quickly. You could do the whole trip with two pair - a wear and a spare.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As far as undergarmets go, I wear exficio shorts and U/A tops - they wash out in the shower (or stream) and dry quickly. You could do the whole trip with two pair - a wear and a spare.

That is the plan. Maybe 3 pairs? But no more than that.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks again guys for the tip on Ex-Officio underwear. I'm starting to think about my packing list for our Scottish trip this summer.

You guys turned me on to Darn Tuff socks. They are, without doubt, the best socks I've ever owned and worn.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The day you try on your first pair of Ex-Officio boxers the sky will be a brighter shade of blue. Unicorns will dance in your fields. A rainbow will appear without rain.

Umberto

The day you try on your first pair of Ex-Officio boxers the sky will be a brighter shade of blue. Unicorns will dance in your fields. A rainbow will appear without rain.

and dance to vagina music... I even wear mine in the ocean and hot tub.
I'm not a big fan of boxers but love the compression U/A style. I prefer the
hosses corralled.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

I ordered 6 pair from Backcountry today. I really need to see a unicorn again. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Booked our airline tickets today.

Leaving for London June 8, will stay there for a few days visiting my sister, then on to Biarritz, France by air. Then ground transport to the St Jean, where we start the hike.

Will return home the last week of July.

Also ordered a new, smaller, backpack. This one is really more of a day-pack. Its only a 35 Liter pack. I need it for the flight from London to Biarritz since I won't be able to "check" my regular backpack in the cargo hold and that pack is too large to be used as a 'carry on' bag. This will be a minimalist trip. 2 extra pairs of underwear, 2 or 3 shirts, 2 extra pairs of socks, rain gear, 1 extra pair of pants, toiletries.

No cooking gear this trip. No utensils. A lightweight sleep sack but NOT an insulated sleeping bag.

We are not taking our expensive trekking poles. Too much hassle to ship them ahead. We are going to buy cheap poles when we get to France and leave them behind when we depart Spain.

I'm getting a compact travel size CPAP machine for this trip since my main CPAP is way to big and heavy for this trip and won't fit in this new pack. Everything should fit into a large day pack. Thinking of the Transcend CPAP unit in the photo below, its a little larger than a soda pop can, with the power transformer it weighs a bit over 2 pounds. Its not the very smallest, its the second smallest, second lightest, but I can get a refurbished unit for about 1/2 the price of the smallest & lightest brand and that one is only slightly smaller and only a couple ounces lighter, so I can't really justify the much higher price, but if I can find a better price on the smaller/lighter unit than what I am seeing then I will probably buy that one instead, over 500 miles every ounce counts!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 7.21.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 7.21.45 PM.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 7.22.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 7.22.34 PM.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 174

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bearing in mind that we will be walking in HOT WEATHER and will need far less insulation on our bodies than we needed for last year's Hadrian's Wall hike when the weather was cold, raining and generally miserable, here is our packing & wearing list:

1 long sleeve Merino Wool shirt
2 short sleeve Merino Wool polo style shirts
3 pairs of socks (detailed earlier in this thread)
3 pairs of Ex-Officio sport mesh boxer briefs, 6" inseam (detailed earlier in this thread)
1 pair LaSportiva Synthesis GTX mid-height hiking boots (detailed earlier in this thread)
1 pair KEEN lightweight Clearwater sandals (for after hike times)
1 Outdoor Research rain pants + 1 Marmot Artemis Rain Jacket (detailed in the Hadrian's Wall hiking thread)

BULKIEST / HEAVIEST thing in the pack: 1 CPAP machine, either Transcend or Human Designs Z1. 1 CPAP hose. 1 CPAP mask. 1 CPAP power supply.

iPhone + charger
IF SPACE PERMITS, MacBookAir computer + charger
IF SPACE PERMITS, camera, extra lens, charger -- if space doesn't permit then the iPhone will be the camera!
EU Power adapter (1 USB port, 2 power outlets)
Ibuprofen - small bottle, will buy more as necessary
Aleve - small bottle, will buy more as necessary
Prescription medicines (enough for entire trip)
various bandaids, blister patches, etc - will buy more as necessary
Compact Gillette battery operated trimmer/razor, couple extra blades
toothbrush, toothpaste
pepto bismol tablets

portable clothes line
1/2 bar of Dr Bonners soap (works on body, hair & clothes)
packable microfiber towel (ultra fast drying, very compact)
2 or 3 micro LED flashlights (the tiny ones you attach to a keychain)
Sea-to-Summit brand travel sleep liner bag with bed bug treatment.

NOT taking internal Camelbak water bladder due to space issues, we will use 1 liter disposable water bottles with a straw conversion kit. Those fit in the outside pack pockets and don't take up interior volume like a water bladder.

The lovely Mrs_Bob will have very similar items packed. No camera. No MacBook, but probably will stow a NOOK eReader in her pack.

=====================================

Looks like Melen will probably join us for the last 2-3 weeks of this trip. She will fly into Santiago, take a bus to Siarra, join us there, and we will then all walk to Santiago, then continue on to the Atlantic ocean at Finnesterra and possible on to Muxia.

=====================================

That is the plan. Not sure we can do it. Its a long trip, lots of potential problems.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bought a new backpack. I didn't NEED a new one. I didn't even WANT a new one. But we are flying on "RYANAIR" from London to Biarritz and they have some bizarre luggage requirements. The pack I've been using is fairly long and narrow, Ryanair won't permit it as it is 28" long. So I had to buy a shorter/wider pack.

It would have cost more to "check" my current backpack than it cost for me to buy a new, slightly smaller backpack :hammer:

So I picked up a glorified Day-Pack. Its not nearly as technical as my current pack, won't carry anything close to the weight that my current pack will carry either, but I'm not carrying much on this trip. It will be bare minimum and the pack, at only 35 Liters capacity, will insure that I keep to the bare minimum. No room for cooking supplies, utensils, etc. Just socks, undies, a couple shirts, etc.

Also ordered a new CPAP machine.

Its the Human Design Z1 CPAP. It is not the Auto version, my home CPAP is an Auto version but I do far better with constant pressure so my home unit's programming was over-ridden so I get constant pressure. Smallest, lightest I could find.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 7.55.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 7.55.27 AM.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 7.50.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 7.50.20 AM.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 7.49.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 7.49.33 AM.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 158

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's not just Ryanair that has changed the carry-on rules. After reading your post, I started doing some checking before our Scottish trip this summer. It seems that American regulations now are 22"x 14"x 9" including the wheels and handles for carry-on and they are adamant about it. I got out the tape measure and our two good carry-ons are both 26" tall. I guess things have changed. We have one carry-on that meets the specs so I've started looking for another. I like the idea of a carry-on backpack. You can sling it over your shoulder while dragging a larger case behind. Pulling two roller cases is a feat that requires some co-ordination when moving through a busy airport. :biggrin:

I'll have to check the dimensions of my TNF day-pack. It may suffice. Thanks for making me aware of the changes.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the new mini-CPAP machine.

It is tiny and light, so that is great.

Downside (so far the only downside) is that it is fairly loud. My big/heavy home machine is nearly silent. This sounds like a little whirlwind. I suppose that is the problem of miniaturizing something and still trying to pump a buttload of air through it. No matter what, the air is going to make noise coming out of the small pump and small hole as it transitions into the larger diameter hose. Mind you this is NOT going to keep me from falling to sleep, nor is it going to wake me up. The noise is pretty much 'white' noise.

What is interesting about the noise is that the noise is all directed into the hose and to the user. Someone in the same room, but not using the machine, will not hear much/if any of the noise. So it is the user who gets 90% of the machine/airflow noise.

They do sell a muffler for the hose.

I just ordered one to see if it works. Can't hurt. Can only help. Its an in-line contraption that connects to the end of the hose. I suppose it works like a firearms silencer. Allow the air to pass through but has internal baffles that quite down the air. That is my guess. It should arrive in 7 or 8 days.