• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 1544 IRAN Project

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
as I understand, a ribbed radiator hose can cause cavitation and leave to engines running a bit warmer vs using a smooth hose, if wrong please educate me and I apologize for asking a dumb question

Puckle

SUPER Site Supporter
Great job, looking forward to hearing how it performs.
Wouldn't be without my lathe - use it all the time - mill tends to get less use but very handy when you need it.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
as I understand, a ribbed radiator hose can cause cavitation and leave to engines running a bit warmer vs using a smooth hose, if wrong please educate me and I apologize for asking a dumb question
PP,

That’s my understanding as well. But here’s the deal:

Scott and I have a tendency/weakness to get sucked in by project creep, to the point it’s almost like we can’t help ourselves. Thundercat and CHUGSzilla are prime examples of two knuckleheads that couldn’t say "no”.

We have tried mightily to not let that happen with the 1544. The interior cries out for reupholstery, and the exterior paint looks awful. But thus far we have mostly been successful in resisting project creep urges. The dash, instrument panel and switches were a bit more than I thought they’d be (shocker, huh?), but that made for a nice and badly needed upgrade.

I will say the rear door limit straps will be replaced. I just can’t not do it. Tucker used the same length straps on all four doors. The right front door needs to be limited so it doesn’t contact the exhaust, and that makes sense. But the rear doors need to open far enough that ingress and egress for passengers is not impeded by doors that don’t open far enough. That means the doors need to open further, and thus longer limit straps for the rear doors. Would it really have been that difficult for Tucker to make different length straps?

Mrs. Blackfoot has the heavy duty webbing, the equipment, and the skills. It will happen, and it will be a small, but nice benefit for the future owner.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
PP,

That’s my understanding as well. But here’s the deal:

Scott and I have a tendency/weakness to get sucked in by project creep, to the point it’s almost like we can’t help ourselves. Thundercat and CHUGSzilla are prime examples of two knuckleheads that couldn’t say "no”.

We have tried mightily to not let that happen with the 1544. The interior cries out for reupholstery, and the exterior paint looks awful. But thus far we have mostly been successful in resisting project creep urges. The dash, instrument panel and switches were a bit more than I thought they’d be (shocker, huh?), but that made for a nice and badly needed upgrade.

I will say the rear door limit straps will be replaced. I just can’t not do it. Tucker used the same length straps on all four doors. The right front door needs to be limited so it doesn’t contact the exhaust, and that makes sense. But the rear doors need to open far enough that ingress and egress for passengers is not impeded by doors that don’t open far enough. That means the doors need to open further, and thus longer limit straps for the rear doors. Would it really have been that difficult for Tucker to make different length straps?

Mrs. Blackfoot has the heavy duty webbing, the equipment, and the skills. It will happen, and it will be a small, but nice benefit for the future owner.
pretty much, I see Scott and your projects major creeping, and, if it didn't creep, it ran, at full steam towards, fix it all !!!

thank you for confirm the radiator hose info.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
See this thread for testing the 1544 on Super Bowl Sunday:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
We’re still waiting for CHUGSZilla’s radiator, but with favorable snow conditions and great weather, we decided to take the 1544 out for some testing all by itself. Here's the current SNOTEL Map.

Honestly, of all the times we’ve taken machines out to the Uinta Mountains for testing I think the overall conditions were the best. By “overall”, I’m considering snow quality and depth, terrain and weather. I made that comment to Scott, and he agreed. It really was spectacular.

Not needing to worry about scratching the paint, we went to Cedar Hollow. There were a fair number of snowmobile tracks up to the point the trails diverge, but this area is not groomed and there is not much traffic up there. We saw one fellow on XC skis and one snowmobiler, but that was it. Lots of first tracks... all day long. We really prefer this type of snowcatting to motoring along on groomed or heavily used trails. We pretty-much had the whole area; multiple thousands of acres, to ourselves. It’s not a stretch to say Snowcat Nirvana!

Looking southwest toward Utah's Wasatch Range.

IMG_0232.jpeg

The 1544 ran MUCH better than on Super Bowl Sunday. It started very easily all day long, and ran well. We did find an intermittent misfire on cylinder four (Chrysler’s cylinder numbering is 1,3,5 and 7 on the left side, and 2,4,6 and 8 on the right side). After detecting the misfire we stopped to check it out. With the bright sunlight it was hard to see, but Scott spotted the number four cylinder spark plug wire boot arcing to the Remflex brand exhaust manifold gasket. Further investigation showed the terminal that snaps onto the spark plug had become detached from the plug wire, and the arcing had burned a hole in the spark plug wire boot. By rotating the boot somewhat, the hole was moved away from the gasket, and the misfire was somewhat improved (a new set of spark plug wires is already on order). We also found the valve covers needed to have the bolts snugged down a bit, but other than those issues, it was great. We brought a handheld IR temperature gun to check the transmission temperature, and it was between 104º and 108º, so the transmission temperature gauge apparently works. We took a few pictures and multiple videos.

I brought an avalanche probe to check the snow depth. There are graduations on the pole in centimeters, and where I tested the depth it was just under 120cm deep; roughly 47”. There was not a cloud in the sky all day and the temperature was in the low forties, so the snow was heavier and wetter, but there was pretty good depth and the machine got a good workout.

IMG_0230.jpeg

I have previously said in multiple posts on many threads that Scott and I are big believers in fuel injection. Intermittent misfire and all, the engine in the 1544 has never run better. Point it up a steep hill, and there were zero issues typically associated with carburetors and floats. That has been a constant issue on this engine with the stock Holley 2-BBL carburetor, but a total non-issue today. We are in agreement that the addition of the Edelbrock ProFlo 4 system was a very worthwhile upgrade. VERY!

Yes, the LS swap adds significantly more power, but it’s a whole lot more money, and a whale of a lot more work.

I put four videos on YouTube:

There is more snow in the forecast!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
The new spark plug wires arrived and we got them changed out. Though changing spark plug wires is not a big deal, we still wanted to verify the 1544 is operating properly and that meant taking it out to for testing. We also took CHUGSzilla, and since both machines were involved I started a new thread.