• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SnowChicken Bombi Build

HillBilt

Awh... No bencher? :cry: ahahahah. Sorry too here that Bud. maybe at 5'7" I can make it work. I'll find out soon. Almost ready to start putting it back together. I got the same problem as you. I wanna drive it this winter and its taking WAY longer to get this thing finished. I just keep replacing stuff.
:mrgreen: I still want to put a bench in it, I just don't think the one I have is best for me. I might be able to mod the bench to make it work but like I said I wanna get some run time on it.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
:mrgreen: I still want to put a bench in it, I just don't think the one I have is best for me. I might be able to mod the bench to make it work but like I said I wanna get some run time on it.
I feel ya there. It's only getting closer to summer

HillBilt

Cleat work today, fun right? As previously stated my track cleats are in rough shape so trying to get a few more miles out of them by doing some weld repairs and will be flipping them when I install. One set prepped and ready to weld
E280E3CA-87C9-485F-AEE8-8F8700F59CC4.jpeg
I haven’t don’t much aluminum welding but this is good practice and gives me a chance to use my spool gun. Can only get better from here?
8E999038-C7F8-4059-BA14-52BBCE281A7B.jpeg

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Are you building it up and making a new profile? Or just welding the splits closed?

looking good. I need to get a aluminum gun for my Miller . Lil fuckers are expensive though. I think the bombi rack and trailer are gonna be the project for that.

HillBilt

Are you building it up and making a new profile? Or just welding the splits closed?

looking good. I need to get a aluminum gun for my Miller . Lil fuckers are expensive though. I think the bombi rack and trailer are gonna be the project for that.
Just welding the splits closed, I know, pretty much half assing it:poop: Yep they are, can almost buy another welder for the cost.

HillBilt

I think if it were me, I’d at least run 2 passes to get a c-hair more build up. You’re already there. Don’t skimp now! ? (snicker snicker)
Just call me Skimpy :mrgreen: Joking aside, I did turn up the wire speed to lay down more material in the area for some build up.

HillBilt

Laid down some new rubber for the inside section, had to cut to lenght and size, and drilled all the holes, my drill was loving it
25883370-2856-4E01-B5EB-FFA3A6375FC2.jpeg
ECA2C9F7-4711-413D-AB17-61AC7C3E4072.jpeg

OTB

Hey HillBilt! Looking Good Man! I am going to be do a full on resto on my Bombi and I am looking at doing the Holly Sniper Mod on mine. Super curious as to how it preforms.

Also,

Is this the hydro pump? If so, how does it run when you are not moving?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Inked46c5d7df292bf4a3caa6cceeab5ab364_LI.jpg
    Inked46c5d7df292bf4a3caa6cceeab5ab364_LI.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132

HillBilt

Hey HillBilt! Looking Good Man! I am going to be do a full on resto on my Bombi and I am looking at doing the Holly Sniper Mod on mine. Super curious as to how it preforms.

Also,

Is this the hydro pump? If so, how does it run when you are not moving?

Thanks!

Thanks man! That pump is for the differential oil, pumps oil from the sump through a oil cooler at the back and then returns over the pinion bearings. The Hydraulic pump for the attachments will be run off the engine and should be at the lower right hand side looking from the front of the engine, at least that's where mine is located.

Just a FYI for the EFI. My kit which is the Sniper autolite 1100 has been back ordered multiple times, and was next dated to the end of February, I contacted supplier (JEGS) to get some more information, I was told they haven't received the product from Holley and there is a huge backlog because of Covid. I cancelled the order and got my money back and put on an email list to notify me when it arrives and Ill purchase it then hopefully sometime this year :ROFLMAO: and install it then. I have done all the mods to basically bolt it on when the time comes, but until then Ill be kickin it old school with the carb.

Currently balls deep in some track misery, got one done and working on the other one, should have them on next week hopefully. Ill be following your build for sure:thumb:

HillBilt

I’ll get the thread caught on more build pics, but for the time being, got some shakedown laps in with the cat??? So sick, and super impressed where we can go. Have lots to do still but good to get some seat time.
8CB9B3EA-09A6-41D3-98DE-9786DC644AD1.jpeg
2F1B5D3F-684B-41BD-8183-3E7DC0A9D3A9.jpeg
8FAE2772-F3E9-41DF-8A0E-3B539CFCAF2F.jpeg

HillBilt

Well Ill get the thread caught up on some more build pics from before the first run with the cat. I had set a goal to have it usable by February 12th as its a long weekend here in Canada and we usually take the following week of to get in some turns as its generally the best riding of the season up here. So was mad blasting the cat to finish up a bunch of items so we could run it. I still have a bunch of items to complete and planned upgrades but will have to wait until this summer to happen as its now up at our cabin.

So got the wiring all cleaned up and wired in the lights, completed the ignition upgrade and replaced the coolant temp gauge. Then started on the rear seating as I want to be able to haul 6 people with it. I stole the idea from @GlacierSean cat, his cat is badass and I hope he doesn't mind me copying his ideas:mrgreen: Anyways, on with the pics..

I had an old chevy square body bench the would work so little mock up and started building mounts
IMG_5816[1].JPG

Hacked up some plates and made some simple bolt on mounts so it could be removed easily
IMG_5815[1].JPG

IMG_5820[1].JPG
Wheelie bar for all that 1.6 wopow
IMG_5821[1].JPG
And first test run..its comfy for sure, and after riding back there up the mountain its the best seat on the cat:punk:
IMG_5819[1].PNG

HillBilt

The tracks....what a job that was, but everything came together well, if you look back in the thread and see how bad of shape my cleats were in, I feel now I should get a few years on them while I look for a replacement set of tracks. Also, finish welded the rack and painted the tub and metal work, but didnt get any pics of that unfortunately.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Actually has more head room compared to original by probably 2" as it sits currently. I need to modify the factory GM hinges so I can get the seat back further as its closer to the pedals

Oh buddy, cup holders are a must!
So I've been on the seat hunt....I'm not giving up yet, but...the one i got is not wide enough. 49" ain't gonna cut it. 55" is the dream.... You don't happen to remember what year, model seat that came out of would you? Even ball park, like 2000-2010 suburban.. I want one that fills all the way across. I'm starting lean towards fabricating my own..

HillBilt

So I've been on the seat hunt....I'm not giving up yet, but...the one i got is not wide enough. 49" ain't gonna cut it. 55" is the dream.... You don't happen to remember what year, model seat that came out of would you? Even ball park, like 2000-2010 suburban.. I want one that fills all the way across. I'm starting lean towards fabricating my own..
Was a second gen tahoe/yukon so 2000-2007 era. Too bad you weren't closer as I would just give you mine....

HillBilt

So time has come to bring the little cat in the shop for some maintenance and minor upgrades. Looks like I may have bent the spindle on one of my rear boogeys. I don't think I ran the track too tight but must of as I can see the wheel is bent in, so will address that, most likely beef up the other side while I'm at it. Other items include:
-Clutch inspection or replacement
-Small oil leak on the motor
-New autolite 1100 carb (EFI system is still backordered) The current carb has been messed with by previous owner and is missing parts so figured I'd start fresh.
-Governer delete

Few photos playing around late spring. I tried out a $30 Amazon wakeboard mount, it actually works pretty decent!
IMG_5984[1].JPG

IMG_5983[1].JPG

HillBilt

So, got the junk fired up to bring into the shop for some more maintenance and potential upgrades. Planned EFI swap still not happening as parts are still back logged. So I picked up a new card off Amazon to try to get it idling and running a bit better. I had just assumed the old carb was an autolite1100 but its not so need to make a few mods to fit it. I’m also deleting the governor, I had planned to before but have to regardless as the 1100 linkage doesn’t clear. Here’s the original setup
D71479FB-27DB-4E68-8708-0671725A232A.jpeg

And beside the new 1100 with governor. Somewhere along the way the butterfly restrictor was removed from the governor
4A9C07CD-8ADE-4754-95C9-14893F244EDF.jpeg

CFAD235E-2E21-4815-85DF-B8B5D8CC4378.jpeg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Great idea! Let us know how that works (have had problems with governor myself, will likely add a rev limiter off the coil and delete the governor).
Might be better to make it from wood or other material that doesn't transfer heat, With the crappy winter gas that boils at room temperature, a metal one my cause vapor lock under hot conditions.

Snowy Rivers

The Winter gas is definitely crap.
Here in Oregon we get the 10% alky stuff year round.
I buy fuel at the Pacific pride....and they offer an alky free premium....
I use the non alky stuff for all our small engines......Far less issues with the little stuff (Weed whackers, chain saws...yada yada yada)

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I use a
The Winter gas is definitely crap.
Here in Oregon we get the 10% alky stuff year round.
I buy fuel at the Pacific pride....and they offer an alky free premium....
I use the non alky stuff for all our small engines......Far less issues with the little stuff (Weed whackers, chain saws...yada yada yada)
l use alcohol free gas to because I've hear the same thing about ethanol causing engine damage.

Rock'n BK

SUPER Site Supporter
That’s interesting on the coil with the pertronix system. I just switched over as well
Anyway great ride you have there. Hope to see you out on some rides!!! It is definitely a Good sickness to have.