• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SnowChicken Bombi Build

Snowy Rivers

Alcohol in the gas and running is not a really big issue.....
Letting small engines sit can really foul up the carburetors...
Alcohol attracts water....water causes corrosion in the carburetor castings.....

Also the small engine carbs have parts that do not do well with the alky....

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use Aviation fuel in my cat and all my small engines. No problems ever.
Exactly. Just bought 10 gal. yesterday. (used to pump it back in the early 90's - man the price has jumped!)

Everything since that time gets 100LL for the last tank of the season. Zero issues ever and takes 2-3 (4?) times as long to go 'bad'? I've seen fuel sumped out of some really old non flyable planes and it looks and smells just like it came out of the truck. VERY unlike pump gasoline.

Snowy Rivers

That Av gas is "Da good stuff"

Used to get it at the little airport locally...Now they will only pump it into planes ?????? NOT JUGS

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hit or miss on who will do it or not. There is ZERO reason that they legally can't do it. What if you have a private ultralight on your farm for checking fencing, but it's too small to fly all the way to the airport? People used to bring in jerry cans all of the time for their private aircraft. The only thing you can't do is pump it directly into a over the road motor vehicle.

Last edited:

HillBilt

Might be better to make it from wood or other material that doesn't transfer heat, With the crappy winter gas that boils at room temperature, a metal one my cause vapor lock under hot conditions.
As far as heat transfer I don't see it being much different than what was on there before with the governor aside from aluminum to steel, but good information to remember if I run into issues(y) The cat generally runs ethanol free 91 for the most part.

HillBilt

Great idea! Let us know how that works (have had problems with governor myself, will likely add a rev limiter off the coil and delete the governor).
Will do!
I ran it all last year without a governor, I wasn't really worried about over revving, just drove it accordingly

HillBilt

Oh, the ole AV Gas debate :ROFLMAO:

You should be able to purchase Lowlead100 (Av gas) at any airport that has fuel service by the barrel. Or if you dont want to deal with airports buy directly from VP or Fury racing fuels for lots of different octane blends by the barrel and pump it at home...which is what I have done in the past

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Hillbilt you nailed it! I just deleted the governor, used a phenolic/aluminum spacer combo under the carb,added a Petronix rev limiter (set at 4500 RPM…..wasn’t sure on max for these engines)……worked like a charm!! I was losing power in 3rd gear….runs like a whipped dog now! Added a tach….why not.

Having fun!

Bob

Attachments

• 27E9D78A-F9A0-4650-8C87-A181518A2CBE.jpeg
    27E9D78A-F9A0-4650-8C87-A181518A2CBE.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 136
  • 5C225B15-84FA-44EF-9516-82314E81E9B7.jpeg
    5C225B15-84FA-44EF-9516-82314E81E9B7.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 9C4B7B83-2FE2-4372-8B92-25C9B7BA7439.jpeg
    9C4B7B83-2FE2-4372-8B92-25C9B7BA7439.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 4F3FCF7B-1CBB-4DA4-B132-DB5331C4364A.jpeg
    4F3FCF7B-1CBB-4DA4-B132-DB5331C4364A.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 136

HillBilt

Sweet! You beat me lol. Looks real clean Bob. I got the spacer welded up and mounted the new carb. Have to modify the throttle linkage but chipping away. The fuel line is only on there for mock up I’m changing it to a 90* fitting and moving my fuel pump location
26DE6A1C-65F3-43F9-8AAC-729812FCBD3F.jpeg

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks great! Deleting that velocity governor made a world of difference (not sure if the internal mechanisms let go, but it was an unresolved issue since owning the Bombi). How’s that new carb?

Oh, as a side note….I reset the max RPM to 3600, tested the power in all gears (in a farm field), runs like a champ (was able to go from a standstill in 4th gear until I hit the rev limiter at 3600 RPM). It could never do that….on snow! I hit a bumpy patch in the field, got thrown around in the cab….scared me a little….lol.

Im sure these engines could take more than 3600 RPM, but I believe they were designed for that max limit (Ford Industrial KSG416).

Bob

HillBilt

Looks great! Deleting that velocity governor made a world of difference (not sure if the internal mechanisms let go, but it was an unresolved issue since owning the Bombi). How’s that new carb?

Oh, as a side note….I reset the max RPM to 3600, tested the power in all gears (in a farm field), runs like a champ (was able to go from a standstill in 4th gear until I hit the rev limiter at 3600 RPM). It could never do that….on snow! I hit a bumpy patch in the field, got thrown around in the cab….scared me a little….lol.

Im sure these engines could take more than 3600 RPM, but I believe they were designed for that max limit (Ford Industrial KSG416).

Bob

Thanks, I found some posts here on it and the guy said deleting the governor and bumping the timing up a couple degrees was night and day difference, glad to see it also worked for you. As for the carb I haven't been able to properly run and idle it just yet as my fuel pump decided to die on me, I was going to replace and move it regardless so no biggie. But I did fill the carb manually to test fire it and it definitely revs up alot quicker than before, but still have lots of tuning to do.

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
The manual on the KSG416 calls out 6 deg. BTDC (I set it when rebuilding the engine as there are no timing marks on the crank pulley….at least my pulley didn’t have them…..only on the block). Here’s a couple pages on the advance.

The fuel pump I used came from Summit (working well). I bought an electric pump for an emergency back up, but mechanical keeps it simple on the fuel side.

Attachments

• 0E634C10-C8BD-4136-86BB-A392BB15AAF4.jpeg
    0E634C10-C8BD-4136-86BB-A392BB15AAF4.jpeg
    714.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 38A03780-8F79-4DB1-BB3B-EE3B7F5ACC20.jpeg
    38A03780-8F79-4DB1-BB3B-EE3B7F5ACC20.jpeg
    628.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

SKINOW11

Hillbilt you nailed it! I just deleted the governor, used a phenolic/aluminum spacer combo under the carb,added a Petronix rev limiter (set at 4500 RPM…..wasn’t sure on max for these engines)……worked like a charm!! I was losing power in 3rd gear….runs like a whipped dog now! Added a tach….why not.

Having fun!

Bob
Love the spacers!
Can share the supplier and part numbers?
Thanks!
Chris

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Love the spacers!
Can share the supplier and part numbers?
Thanks!
Chris
Hi Chris

I picked up the parts on that ecommerce sight that rhymes with SeaRay…..

The phenolic risers (came in a pair)…..search under:

“Solex Kadron Brosol Carburetor Spacer 40mm Riser Phenolic Intake Insulator 1/2"

The aluminum spacer …..search under:

“Fits Stove 2 Bolt Aluminum Riser BXOV-2 Stromberg Carb Ford Autolite Spacer 1"

I had to open the bolt holes about 3/16” each (was to wide)….nothing a die grinder can’t handle.

Bob

HillBilt

Waiting for some fueling parts I moved onto the lights. I wasn’t sure of what to do but knew I didn’t want to run the factory lighting. They didn’t work and didn’t want to put time into making them work last year as I just ran with the light bar. A sale came up on some led pod lights and picked them up. Floods and spots.
Removed the factory lights and started on the mounts for the pods
79A7FDB7-67F1-4BA9-B6EB-76C5C938BB67.jpeg

6189D889-3008-4FFB-A72A-E080E6B023DA.jpeg

drilled some holes and hacked something together
BC365AC3-16B6-4820-92F6-CE7014A501CE.jpeg

HillBilt

Got the mounts welded up and splashed with some spray on bedliner. I had to move the mount lower down on the plate to clear the headlight pocket. Also the flood pods have taller mounts than the spot pods. It annoyed me but at least the same left to right. Also notched the bottom of the mounting plate to pass the wires through.
AD3C6625-0958-41A5-984E-499A12C4FA49.jpeg

E251856B-F858-4099-A768-F5C6E7D38AC1.jpeg

CDB3FC64-B50C-42C9-A0EF-BDCC0C9388E6.jpeg

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, I guess my wet-dream just came true… I found / bought a 1977 Bombi here in Colorado and just tried it out on Buffalo Pass in Steamboat Springs, CO… The FUN!
Did you buy Craig’s machine?! Buff pass is natural snowcat habitat.