• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Riding motorcycles to Nova Scotia? Or Route 66 to California? Or somewhere?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We hoped to ride to Portland, Maine then hop the ferry to Halifax. That ferry is closed until spring of 2022 due to Covid. It is the main INTERNATIONAL ferry. However we can ride to Saint John, New Brunswick and take a ferry across to Nova Scotia.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we have a couple kinks that have hit our plans.

Nova Scotia is still a possibility but we have some time limits. Dasha, my Russian fencer, is flying in to Chicago as scheduled, but she can't move into her dorm the day we had planned to move her in. So there is a 3 day delay in moving her in. That 3 days puts a bit of time pressure on us as it is a 4 to 5 day ride for us to get to Nova Scotia from our home.

There is also a court date for our foster baby Kobe that was set, that is a WEEK after our planned departure date. It is a "ZOOM" virtual court date so we can theoretically attend the court date from anywhere we have an internet connection. But the date of the court date is also almost 2 weeks after we lose custody of Kobe so we don't know if we will even need to attend???

We may alter our plans and just to a trip around New England. Or we may completely change our plans and ride up into Michigan or maybe Wisconisn and just do a very leisurely trip, low miles and lots of tourist stops? I dunno. Totally confused at this point but we both just want to get out of town for a little while.

Reactions: Doc

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Totally confused at this point but we both just want to get out of town for a little while.

Melensdad, so do we and life just seems to be conspiring against us. I hope that everything settles down and we can get out of here in the fall, at least for a couple of weeks. A little like you, it's not always our fault that things are in a state of flux, but it seems that we have a whole lot of obligations to other people and organizations. (That's the Royal "We" by the way).

I hope that you guys get your "stuff" sorted out. It sounds as if you need some quiet time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking LESS LIKELY that we will cross the Canadian border, more likely we will do a tour of New England.

If we understand it, we are qualified to cross. We are both double vaccinated. But we need tests before we cross, at roughly $175 each. Then we need to wait for the results, so that is an extra night in a hotel plus meals while we wait for test results. Then we cross into Canada and need to both test again. Then we need a 14 day quarantine plan. Then we need to keep a log book of every person we had close contact with during our travels. When we get to Nova Scotia we have to check in with another agency . . .

Honestly I understand why Canada wants us to do that but we can travel around New England on great roads and not have to go through all the hassles. I don't blame Canada. I just don't want to waste roughly $1000 and perhaps an extra day or two when we have a hard deadline to be back home.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking LESS LIKELY that we will cross the Canadian border, more likely we will do a tour of New England.

If we understand it, we are qualified to cross. We are both double vaccinated. But we need tests before we cross, at roughly $175 each. Then we need to wait for the results, so that is an extra night in a hotel plus meals while we wait for test results. Then we cross into Canada and need to both test again. Then we need a 14 day quarantine plan. Then we need to keep a log book of every person we had close contact with during our travels. When we get to Nova Scotia we have to check in with another agency . . .

Honestly I understand why Canada wants us to do that but we can travel around New England on great roads and not have to go through all the hassles. I don't blame Canada. I just don't want to waste roughly $1000 and perhaps an extra day or two when we have a hard deadline to be back home.
Welcome to the land of the free... USA.

Nova Scotia is a beautiful place to visit. And, unlike some parts of Canada, they do like Americans there. Perhaps after the revolution????

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the land of the free... USA.

Nova Scotia is a beautiful place to visit. And, unlike some parts of Canada, they do like Americans there. Perhaps after the revolution????
Well it would be nice to ride there, I hear the roads and views are amazing.

We are trying to navigate the whole entry procedure thing. It is confusing. Some areas apparently overlay additional rules on top of the Canadian rules. And the Canadian rules are changing after August 9. So we need to understand which rules we need to follow. It is all up in the air at this point.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a long trip is OFF for us.

Our foster son has been 'returned' to his family. We knew it was coming and we have been working with his grandmother, who will be taking custody. We offered to do "day care" for him several days a week.

BUT, she was confused with our schedule. So now custody has been transferred to her but she was expecting day care when we were expecting to be gone. Obviously he is our top priority. Our plans changed. Not sure what they are yet, but we do know our plans don't include a 3+ week trip.

We are now looking for short 2-4 day trips. We know we need to get out of the house and take a break (or a few short breaks) but we know that he needs us to accommodate his needs more than we need to go have fun.