Riding motorcycles to Nova Scotia? Or Route 66 to California? Or somewhere?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We seem to be well off topic but one thing that I see, very clearly illustrated in this meme below, is simply bad form.

You lean into a turn with your body, the HD rider has his bike leaning one way and his body leaning slightly the other way. This is wrong on so many levels it is hard to comprehend how he got his motorcycle endorsement. Then again, lots of people ride without ever getting an endorsement or taking a formal class. Perhaps that explains it? It is "technique" like this that puts people off the curves on roads like the Dragon.

HarleyMeme.jpg.221602f6acb9ff5018cd976d986895e2.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry MD. I didn't mean to take it off subject. In fact I suggested we get back to it.

So where do you think your wild hair motivations will take you ?

Ifthe Carolina's don't impress, perhaps the Green mountains , some B&B's, and winding cow-path roads in New England?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably Maine, and with a Plan B to cross to Canada if the border opens for tourism.

I downloaded maps for New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia in addition to Vermont, New Hampshire, Conn, Mass. & Maine. I use the SCENIC app as for turn by turn navigation. It does not require a cell signal for navigation so it works offline. I can import routes in multiple different file formats.

Nothing certain yet. No real plans. Just discussions.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I never did New England in a bike or roadster. Always family car. That said, I enjoyed every trip there. Even in winter.
Maine and NH watch for the black flies in late summer.

Otherwise Awesome.

Nova Scotia is rugged and beautiful.
Stateside, Lake Champlain northern NY has some lovely rides.
The local people are great.

Lobster at local seaside restaurants is unbeatable.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never did New England in a bike or roadster. Always family car. That said, I enjoyed every trip there. Even in winter.
Maine and NH watch for the black flies in late summer.

Otherwise Awesome.

Nova Scotia is rugged and beautiful.
Stateside, Lake Champlain northern NY has some lovely rides.
The local people are great.

Lobster at local seaside restaurants is unbeatable.
This time of the year this might be unbeatable.
We were on the North Shore of Lake Superior this past week end, and that was a beautiful place to be...

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
We seem to be well off topic but one thing that I see, very clearly illustrated in this meme below, is simply bad form.

You lean into a turn with your body, the HD rider has his bike leaning one way and his body leaning slightly the other way. This is wrong on so many levels it is hard to comprehend how he got his motorcycle endorsement. Then again, lots of people ride without ever getting an endorsement or taking a formal class. Perhaps that explains it? It is "technique" like this that puts people off the curves on roads like the Dragon.

View attachment 138433
Ha ha, Thats one example but not all Harleys are baggers, slow or ridden by old guys. A goldwing, or any of the fake Harley look alike's go around the corners the same way. And deffinetly don't sound right. :cool:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Probably Maine, and with a Plan B to cross to Canada if the border opens for tourism.

I downloaded maps for New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia in addition to Vermont, New Hampshire, Conn, Mass. & Maine. I use the SCENIC app as for turn by turn navigation. It does not require a cell signal for navigation so it works offline. I can import routes in multiple different file formats.

Nothing certain yet. No real plans. Just discussions.
Normally I would think the Northwest would be a better ride than the east coast, but its getting its ass kicked with a High pressure heat wave that is driving temperatures up to 118 degrees in Washington state, pretty much unheard of but its happening. The east coast is always humid but right now it likely feels cooler. I commend you for still riding a motorcycle, especially the distances you ride them. Wherever you go take lots of pictures and post them.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So this arrived in the mail today.

Going to take a good hard look and do some trip planning.

It looks doable.

tempImageQyqMas.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck with it. Atlantic Canada and Nova Scotia are beautiful rides.

Saint Anne Des Monte is a beautiful old city tucked between mountains and a cobalt blue ocean.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
:wow: That could sure be an awesome trip.
Would you ride from home to there on your bikes?
I had to look at the map to get a better idea of where all that is located. Now I'm wondering if those areas speak primarily french?

NovaScotiaNewBrunswichCA.JPG

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We hoped to ride to Portland, Maine then hop the ferry to Halifax. That ferry is closed until spring of 2022 due to Covid. It is the main INTERNATIONAL ferry. However we can ride to Saint John, New Brunswick and take a ferry across to Nova Scotia.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we have a couple kinks that have hit our plans.

Nova Scotia is still a possibility but we have some time limits. Dasha, my Russian fencer, is flying in to Chicago as scheduled, but she can't move into her dorm the day we had planned to move her in. So there is a 3 day delay in moving her in. That 3 days puts a bit of time pressure on us as it is a 4 to 5 day ride for us to get to Nova Scotia from our home.

There is also a court date for our foster baby Kobe that was set, that is a WEEK after our planned departure date. It is a "ZOOM" virtual court date so we can theoretically attend the court date from anywhere we have an internet connection. But the date of the court date is also almost 2 weeks after we lose custody of Kobe so we don't know if we will even need to attend???

We may alter our plans and just to a trip around New England. Or we may completely change our plans and ride up into Michigan or maybe Wisconisn and just do a very leisurely trip, low miles and lots of tourist stops? I dunno. Totally confused at this point but we both just want to get out of town for a little while.

Reactions: Doc

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Totally confused at this point but we both just want to get out of town for a little while.

Melensdad, so do we and life just seems to be conspiring against us. I hope that everything settles down and we can get out of here in the fall, at least for a couple of weeks. A little like you, it's not always our fault that things are in a state of flux, but it seems that we have a whole lot of obligations to other people and organizations. (That's the Royal "We" by the way).

I hope that you guys get your "stuff" sorted out. It sounds as if you need some quiet time.