• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Random thoughts

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
It seems that in modern (past 2-3 years anyway) discourse, most people don’t really want to hear my opinion - rather they want to hear their opinion coming out of my mouth.

Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.

For the first time in my life, I’m truly worried about the country (and world) that my children are making their way into.

The older I get, the smaller the doses of beauty and wonder I find the most impactful.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It seems that in modern (past 2-3 years anyway) discourse, most people don’t really want to hear my opinion - rather they want to hear their opinion coming out of my mouth.

Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.

For the first time in my life, I’m truly worried about the country (and world) that my children are making their way into.

The older I get, the smaller the doses of beauty and wonder I find the most impactful.
You are not alone.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A dogs sense of smell is thousands of times more sensitive than humans.
Does that mean when I'm cooking bacon, it smells thousands of times better? If so, I want to be a dog in my next life.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Random thought this morning. I was reading pgs thank you thread and thought.....why do I come here? I've been a member a long time. So why do I keep coming back? It's definitely not for the political debate stuff as I try to keep my nose out of that. I try to post at least a couple of funny memes/cartoons/ pictures etc every day and I think that if I can at least put a smile on someone's face even for a few seconds then I must be doing something right. 🙂 I think the world just needs to relax and smile once in a while.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is it with vehicle tire sizes nowadays?
I drive a Chevy Silverado. It has 17" tires.
Looking at newer cars to replace some of our older vehicles. They all come with massive tires (and massive price tag to replace).
A little 2019 Toyota Corolla comes with 18" tires?!?!? Those are around $200 each to replace. :(

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at newer cars to replace some of our older vehicles. They all come with massive tires (and massive price tag to replace).
A little 2019 Toyota Corolla comes with 18" tires?!?!? Those are around $200 each to replace. :(
However, the bigger tires do last longer and are more stable.

Bigger tires mean fewer revolutions of the crankshaft to achieve the same speeds. Presumably creating better mileage.

Crumpy's Pacifica has 18" rims as well. I believe all the midsized GM trucks now have the larger wheels. Original Equipment. Only the vans have 17."

She can correct me if I'm wrong.

It is her duty.

Last edited:

Crumpy

GOLD Site Supporter
However, the bigger tires do last longer and are more stable.

Bigger tires mean fewer revolutions of the crankshaft to achieve the same speeds. Presumably creating better mileage.

Crumpy's Pacifica has 18" rims as well. I believe all the midsized GM trucks now have the larger wheels. Original Equipment. Only the vans have 17."

She can correct me if I'm wrong.

It is her duty.
GM vans have 16” wheels. I had to explain that to a line worker when they said I gave them the wrong cert labels.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Wheel size? Need to look at the entire tire size. On most of my cars, the speed sensors must read rotational speed within a few percentage points, or CEL will be lit on the dash, and stability control will be disengaged.
I can use 17. 18, 19, or 20 inch rims so long as tire circumference is the same, and brake calipers don't get in the way.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am afraid I don't understand your question.
Your numbers are "wheel" sizes. So, I referenced them.
A 17" rim would give you, roughly, a 26"-27" diameter tire.

You can buy "taller" tires. Or, smaller ones to fit the same rims. I have done so. As You have suggested, it throws of the Speed Sensor calculations in modern cars. However, just the speedometer in older versions.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am afraid I don't understand your question.
It wasn't a question really, more of a gripe.
I'm looking for new(er) vehicles for my kids. They're not rich so I'm looking at vehicles where the cost of ownership is relatively low. That's everything from mileage, expected reliability and general cost of ownership (which includes things like tires).
Their current cars run 15-16" tires. Relatively cheap to replace when needed. The new(er) vehicles seem to be running 18-20" tires which are about twice the price as a 15-16" tire. Pretty sure they're not going to like seeing around a $800-1000 bill for a new set of tires.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Random thought...I should have stayed in bed this morning. Is it a full moon? While we were dealing with a teenage blow up at supper time yesterday, my phone rang. It was my oldest son. "Dad, somethings wrong with the car. When I turn the key it makes a winding noise but nothing happens." OK, I Sent mom to pick him up. I'll deal with the car today. It's fine where it is. So I go to scouts and the truck starts acting up. I just did the coils. 2 have already failed. So I have to deal with that today. My wife was supposed to work in the city but stayed home today (she works 2 days in the office, 3 at home) so I can use her vehicle to shuttle kids around as I have to drive our daughter to school and pick her up.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I turn the key it makes a winding noise but nothing happens.
Sounds like the starter or starter solenoid. Take a hammer and if available, another person with you. Beat on the starter and starter solenoid while the other person holds the key in the start position. Works for me to get the engine running. I then drive it to the shop to do the starter replace.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like the starter or starter solenoid. Take a hammer and if available, another person with you. Beat on the starter and starter solenoid while the other person holds the key in the start position. Works for me to get the engine running. I then drive it to the shop to do the starter replace.

That's my guess as well. We have caa. I'm sitting here waiting for them now. I already talked to the garage this morning. Gotta love small town shops. The mechanics there are father and son. The son is my neighbor. He had my son's Roque there waiting to install a sensor after they did the back brakes on Friday. I told him my dilemma and he called me an hour later to tell me that it was done. I also installed one of the old coils back in the f150 and it's running fine again. Individual coils in town are $70. For 6 coils and plugs on Amazon was $148. I took a chance on the Amazon ones and 3 have now failed in 2 weeks.