• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"My Life" website STAY AWAY!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was searching for info on a classmate that passed away recently. One of the resorses that came up in my search was a website named My Life.

It had some information but I had my doubts about some things it said. So I did a search on myself. Sure nuff I'm there. They had a lot of bogus stuff on my account and offered to do a deep search. Okay, I tried that and it whirled for a long while an said it found stuff. Then it found judgements against me, and a court record for something. WHAT???

So I wanted to see those. Nope. Not allowed. It's my data but no I cannot view it, even when it's wrong UNLESS I pay them money. I could buy a 3 day access for less than $5 but then it automatically will charge me more ...and they'd have my credit card number. I refuse to pay to see what data they have on me. Now (since I was dumb enough to give my email address when I tried to sign up before knowing it would cost me) :hammer: they have my email. I knew better but I screwed up. Now I'm getting emails saying there has been a change to your data. A court action or a crimminal record found ...etc etc. All BS. All to entice me to sign up and straighten it out. No freaking way.

How these websites can collect all this data and then sell my data by having people sign up and then giving them access to see BS about me or anyone else upsets me. But as far as I know there is not a damn thing I can do about it. Frustrating.

MY LIFE is not the only one of these type sites so I guess all I can say is: be careful out there. don't let em sucker you in.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. A lot of scams out there.

I did one many years ago that got me results but it took a day to get back to me. Now these sites advertise they can have results on anybody with the simple entry of a name and a few bucks off your credit card.

None of them seem useful to me.

As an employer we must research new hires. There is a data base that is reliable and easy to use. But it is government run. Missouri Case Net.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
How these websites can collect all this data and then sell my data by having people sign up and then giving them access to see BS about me or anyone else upsets me. But as far as I know there is not a damn thing I can do about it. Frustrating.

MY LIFE is not the only one of these type sites so I guess all I can say is: be careful out there. don't let em sucker you in.

I get so ticked off that we are paying our government to protect us from this and other stuff. 5 minutes after your parking meter expires, there is a vigilant cop while this is going on and I get 20 calls a day about my extended warranty.

Don't get me started!!!! LOL

scotthouse

All those sites are very intrusive..... I must say I am glad I am not listed on any of them!!

I dunno how these sites get the info but In my opinion its not ok!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All those sites are very intrusive..... I must say I am glad I am not listed on any of them!!

I dunno how these sites get the info but In my opinion its not ok!
I'll wager you are out there. Tidbits from public data you have given to various places. These companies algorithms robots are forever looking at every web site on the net and gathering information on each person they find. Years apart. Stuff you long forgot about. It's out there and they have it.

Then charging you to see it or correct it thoroughly pisses me off.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
This all came to light after the (Experion?) Hack. There was an article that said that "We the people" are simply product. Think anout it. The credit bureaus collect, store and disseminate valuable personal information, without our consent, so, why not shadier operators. HIPPA says my doctor cant tell anyone he have me an aspirin, but, these sleezes can sell whatever. For years, i have heard folks say they have nothing to hide, now, big data is nringing thise chickens home to roost.

scotthouse

Doc said:
.....Then charging you to see it or correct it thoroughly pisses me off.
Yes one time I wanted to have my data removed from one site and they wanted to VERIFY it was me before doing so...

Why?? THEY DIDNT VERIFY IT TO PUT IT THERE!!

Unreal it is!!