• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

looking to get healthier and more fit?

SoundSoSavage

so ill start by saying i'm 29 and i recently had my gall bladder removed been a couple months now only thing ive devolped from this has been hemroids ...

anywho im looking for recommendations on a meal /work out plan

what ive done so far ive cut out soda and juice i only drink water and or work out powder and pre work out

food my habits remain the same i eat less during the day then before and over all but i get hunger pains at night and gorge myself which i don't want to do but only thing that gets rid of the pain

i bench press at 100 lbs about 5 sets of 10 every other day i lift 50lbs dumbbells each arm 5 sets of 5 every other day

and i do take hydroxycut hardcore
im at 235 lbs im 5"9 since lifting and eating less then before overall and only drinking what i drink now i keep gaining weight ? i was 189 lbs couple months ago .... unelss my scale broke idk

any criticism is welcome even harsh comments as long as i can get my goal of an ideal weight for my height and have some muscle on me that shows i'm good don't need to get buff or anything but shredded would be nice long terms

well let me know

thanks in advanced

chowderman

at that ht/wt, you need to be a bit more careful about what you are doing - I'm sure you understand the BMI puts you at a greater risk.

my advise would be to dump all the "magic tonics/supplements" - great TV ads, super star endorsements - however, the not-paid medical profession does not agree with any of their claims.

next - calories in less calories burned = weight gain.
there's no magic - and there's no supplement that alters that fact.

the exercise routine you indicated is more strength training vs. weight loss / aka calorie burn / weight loss.
see: https://www.healthline.com/health/what-exercise-burns-the-most-calories
you may want to first consider getting down to a healthy weight, then go for the buff.

diet: do you cook? do you have the facilities to cook your own meals?
pre-made, frozen, etc. meals - despite labels like Lean "Anything" - are made to taste great with salt, sugar and fat.
consider focusing on more carbohydrates for longer lasting stomach satisfaction.
runners, for example, use lots and lots of carbs because the conversion from starches to sugars (which is what you body "burns") is slower - providing longer lasting energy.
hi-protein&hi-carbs is a good diet for slow&steady weight loss.
(the 600 pounders cannot go with carbs - protein only . . . but you're not that far into the extreme)

if you are accustomed to eat large volumes of food, shrinking that habit is not going to happen without hunger pains. it takes 2 weeks or so to readjust bulk cravings . . . so, it happens - but you must be willing to stick it out.
high fiber foods keep you 'fuller' longer - vegetables, lots of them . . . .

do you have any flavor of health insurance/care? many times those plans have access to a dietitian who can help you fine tune your eating habits.
absolutely avoid any web site / advise places that are selling products or services.
their interests are your wallet, not your well being....

me? 211 to 180 and working on staying there....

SoundSoSavage

at that ht/wt, you need to be a bit more careful about what you are doing - I'm sure you understand the BMI puts you at a greater risk.

my advise would be to dump all the "magic tonics/supplements" - great TV ads, super star endorsements - however, the not-paid medical profession does not agree with any of their claims.

next - calories in less calories burned = weight gain.
there's no magic - and there's no supplement that alters that fact.

the exercise routine you indicated is more strength training vs. weight loss / aka calorie burn / weight loss.
see: https://www.healthline.com/health/what-exercise-burns-the-most-calories
you may want to first consider getting down to a healthy weight, then go for the buff.

diet: do you cook? do you have the facilities to cook your own meals?
pre-made, frozen, etc. meals - despite labels like Lean "Anything" - are made to taste great with salt, sugar and fat.
consider focusing on more carbohydrates for longer lasting stomach satisfaction.
runners, for example, use lots and lots of carbs because the conversion from starches to sugars (which is what you body "burns") is slower - providing longer lasting energy.
hi-protein&hi-carbs is a good diet for slow&steady weight loss.
(the 600 pounders cannot go with carbs - protein only . . . but you're not that far into the extreme)

if you are accustomed to eat large volumes of food, shrinking that habit is not going to happen without hunger pains. it takes 2 weeks or so to readjust bulk cravings . . . so, it happens - but you must be willing to stick it out.
high fiber foods keep you 'fuller' longer - vegetables, lots of them . . . .

do you have any flavor of health insurance/care? many times those plans have access to a dietitian who can help you fine tune your eating habits.
absolutely avoid any web site / advise places that are selling products or services.
their interests are your wallet, not your well being....

me? 211 to 180 and working on staying there....
ok doing no supplements etc ill stop today and yes i can cook and have the means to do so just honestly don't know what to cook more or less lately been air frying everything . as for health insurance they cover pretty much everything so ill have to look into a dietitian but definitely trying to get back to being healthier don't need a short term diet but a life change got two kids i want to be around for .

chowderman

healthy cooking is at the most basic level - cooking 'from scratch' at home.
example: mashed potatoes: water, peeled potatoes, salt. mashed with a bit of butter and salt/pepper to taste.
look at the label on frozen aisle mashed potatoes . . . it's a long long list of things you cannot even pronounce....
pancakes: flour, egg, milk, sugar, baking powder. again - frozen or pourable pancake batter, a long list of stuff.

use fresh fruits and vegetables when available - beans, squash, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, sweet peppers, cabbages, leeks, etc - some things are available year round - some are more seasonal. and, sigh, some are available year round but aren't worth eating.... aka the round wood red things they sell as tomatoes...
(out of season I use roma tomatoes - they come closest ...)

ran across a good tip for healthy eating the other day: diner plate: 1/4 covered in protein, 1/4 covered in carbohydrates, 1/2 covered in vegetables.

there's a sister forum here - https://www.discusscooking.com
several others as well

most have a Dinner (today) thread - piles of ideas to be had there

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
chowderman gave some good advise. The sad reality is that the only supplements that "work" require a prescription or are considered illegal. I wouldn't recommend going down the shortcut path - it doesn't seem to ever pan out in the long run.
If you really want to get your lifestyle dialled in then download the MyFitnessPal app and use all it's features. Track your calories and macros and get the necessary amount of exercise. It works - it's just not fast and easy.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
im at 235 lbs im 5"9 since lifting and eating less then before overall and only drinking what i drink now i keep gaining weight ? i was 189 lbs couple months ago .... unelss my scale broke idk
You had me kinda interested until the above bullshit. You gained over 45pounds in a couple of months???? Man, you don't need scales to know if you gained that much weight that fast.

SoundSoSavage

healthy cooking is at the most basic level - cooking 'from scratch' at home.
example: mashed potatoes: water, peeled potatoes, salt. mashed with a bit of butter and salt/pepper to taste.
look at the label on frozen aisle mashed potatoes . . . it's a long long list of things you cannot even pronounce....
pancakes: flour, egg, milk, sugar, baking powder. again - frozen or pourable pancake batter, a long list of stuff.

use fresh fruits and vegetables when available - beans, squash, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, sweet peppers, cabbages, leeks, etc - some things are available year round - some are more seasonal. and, sigh, some are available year round but aren't worth eating.... aka the round wood red things they sell as tomatoes...
(out of season I use roma tomatoes - they come closest ...)

ran across a good tip for healthy eating the other day: diner plate: 1/4 covered in protein, 1/4 covered in carbohydrates, 1/2 covered in vegetables.

there's a sister forum here - https://www.discusscooking.com
several others as well

most have a Dinner (today) thread - piles of ideas to be had there
thank you, a lot of good info here I appreciate it

SoundSoSavage

You had me kinda interested until the above bullshit. You gained over 45pounds in a couple of months???? Man, you don't need scales to know if you gained that much weight that fast.
yea ill elaborate a little as to why the dramatic change there so prior to gallbladder removal I was severely sick barely ate anything looked like an actual Simpson my bilirubin count was 20 etc. over 100 bits of gallstone in my bile duct it was 99% removed I had a stent put in then after 2 weeks gallbladder removal. so, I lost a lot of weight overall then gained weight back even though my intake of calories is about 1500 daily I use mynetdiary to track that. and i have gained muscle mostly in my arms and legs. just my stomach that's not ideal

hardest thing so far was giving up soda 100% and switching to water use to drink two 2 liter bottles a day sometimes more im glad the sluggish feeling are gone and i can actually do stuff again

SoundSoSavage

so overall from all advice it seems like I should focus on just eating better stuff and switch to cardio versus lifting etc. or do both?

question would be which cardio would be most effective? should I go for a jog daily? would that help lose the weight?

SoundSoSavage

also, I recently read that muscle weights more than fat is that actually true and could that be why the scale says I keep gaining weight? because my arms are definitely bigger muscle wise since lifting and my calves are about double in size no fat there though all my fat is located stomach and my chest ...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Muscle does weight more than fat if you measure it per cubic inch. But generally when you switch from fat to muscle by becoming more active your size goes down and your weight, consequently goes down, because fat has more volume.

SoundSoSavage

Muscle does weight more than fat if you measure it per cubic inch. But generally when you switch from fat to muscle by becoming more active your size goes down and your weight, consequently goes down, because fat has more volume.
ok so more or less then I'm not really losing fat where I need to be aka my stomach, but instead adding muscle to my arms and legs from working out increased my overall weight then? was more or less curious on that so thank you

regardless cardio and eating better seems like the best possible thing for me to do

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
so ill start by saying i'm 29 and i recently had my gall bladder removed been a couple months now only thing ive devolped from this has been hemroids ...

anywho im looking for recommendations on a meal /work out plan

what ive done so far ive cut out soda and juice i only drink water and or work out powder and pre work out

food my habits remain the same i eat less during the day then before and over all but i get hunger pains at night and gorge myself which i don't want to do but only thing that gets rid of the pain

i bench press at 100 lbs about 5 sets of 10 every other day i lift 50lbs dumbbells each arm 5 sets of 5 every other day

and i do take hydroxycut hardcore

any criticism is welcome even harsh comments as long as i can get my goal of an ideal weight for my height and have some muscle on me that shows i'm good don't need to get buff or anything but shredded would be nice long terms

well let me know

thanks in advanced
FWIW, I'm 61 years old, 204 pounds, 6' tall.

My ideal weight is under 180 pounds.

A few days before I went to Florida on vacation I did a heart scan, they found out that I have a partial blockage in 1 of my arteries that is "worse than 74%" of adult males of my same age. Oddly, the other three arteries are almost perfectly clean. I have been referred to a cardiologist, will be setting an appointment soon.

So while I was in Florida, no access to equipment, I walked the beach. Upon returning home I started daily exercise.

Started with the treadmill. 2 sessions per day, 20 minutes per session. Just walking, fairly fast, and varying the incline. Fortunately we have a treadmill with programmable walks, so it can be set to adjust the incline and speed to simulate different terrain, to burn calories, to increase heart rate, etc, etc.

While on the treadmill I also use light dumbbells. I vary between 2, 3 and 4 pound pound dumbbells in each hand. So while walking I am also lifting, pumping, exercising my arms.

Now I am alternating between the exercise bike and the treadmill. I find the bike to be somewhat more challenging and gives my legs a better workout. My exercise bike also has programmable resistance and can simulate a hilly ride, etc etc just like the treadmill. I try to also use the dumbbells while on the exercise bike, but I find I tend to use the 2 & 3# weights instead of the heavier 4# weights on the bike.

I'm also trying to eat a little healthier too. Less highly processed foods.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just sheer coincidence, I got a new AppleWatch 7 a couple days prior to going to Florida 2 weeks ago. The watch has all sorts of interesting 'health' features.

Blood O2 level
ECG
Pulse
Steps taken
Exercise
Time spent standing vs sitting
Noise level (for those of us with chain saws/tractors/motorcycles)
Sleep
It can even track the monthly "cycles" that the ladies on this forum experience/endure.

What is interesting to me is that it motivates me to exercise. It reminds you to stand up if you are sedentary, it lets you track your exercise goals, step goals, etc. It also works with data from other brands of products, so my wi-fi enabled scale and my bluetooth blood-pressure monitor can send data to the watch/app.

It may seem silly but I am constantly making sure that I meet and exceed my fitness goals and I credit the silly app and the sophistication of the watch.
B45481FF-4B2E-44C9-9028-F0E890BA55E6.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I actually lost a few pounds but the doctor upped my blood pressure meds and put me on low-dose (baby) aspirin. In addition to losing weight, I'd love to get off the meds, or at least reduce as much as possible.

Today I increased my exercise goal, the default on the AppleWatch is 30 minutes a day, I increased my daily goal to 40 minutes. But I have actually be achieving about 60 minutes per day since I got home from our Florida vacation.

With high school coaching season starting soon I'm not really sure what my exercise schedule will be. Some days I'll easily be able to do 60 or more minutes, other days I may struggle to fit in 40 minutes. So rather than over-commit and fail, I'd rather under-commit and over-perform and then adjust up the goal when I actually am in my new season's schedule.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Every morning I take an "official weight" and today was the first day, in many years, where my weight was below 200#. 199.8. 0.2# below the threshold and, while a very small victory, it marks a milestone in progress. As I eat and drink my weight will likely go up a bit today, but hopefully tomorrow morning will return to a weight that is no higher than this morning's weight.

My goal is still 185, but an ideal weight for me is, at my age/height, closer to 175#.

I seem to be motivated by technology the AppleWatch Series 7, with it's ability to track and record Blood O2, ECG, Pulse plus the dozen or more 'fitness' tracking metrics, that are all available to see in graphics seems to keep me motivated. Combine all that tech with a Withings Cardio scale that measures BMI, Body Fat, Muscle Mass, Bone Mass, Heart Rate, etc etc etc. and between a couple of "Apps" I can see all sorts of data about my health, some of which are not great, some of which are pretty good. And I easily see my trends.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Once again Bob, a very timely post for me. I've been trying to get in better shape. I've had little to no success. No thyroid cuts down my energy level. My back is a mess. And like most here I can come up with other excuses that are just that, excuses. Others have similar issues and find success. So can I.

My grand kids and kids have various versions of the apple watch. I never wanted one. But, things change. After reading your post I see that there can be huge benefits to the watch. Currently, I work and try to be active and I'm having very limited success. But what I'm considering active or exercise might not be up to par with what the watch will register. Interesting enough to me that I broke down and ordered one of the refurbished apple 7 watches. Our kids have bought the refurbished versions of the watch for their kids and it has worked out good, so I'm taking the chance. I should have it later this week.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Every morning I take an "official weight" and today was the first day, in many years, where my weight was below 200#. 199.8. 0.2# below the threshold and, while a very small victory, it marks a milestone in progress. As I eat and drink my weight will likely go up a bit today, but hopefully tomorrow morning will return to a weight that is no higher than this morning's weight.

My goal is still 185, but an ideal weight for me is, at my age/height, closer to 175#.

I seem to be motivated by technology the AppleWatch Series 7, with it's ability to track and record Blood O2, ECG, Pulse plus the dozen or more 'fitness' tracking metrics, that are all available to see in graphics seems to keep me motivated. Combine all that tech with a Withings Cardio scale that measures BMI, Body Fat, Muscle Mass, Bone Mass, Heart Rate, etc etc etc. and between a couple of "Apps" I can see all sorts of data about my health, some of which are not great, some of which are pretty good. And I easily see my trends.
I took a pharmaceutical for 40 years of Hypertension diagnosed at the age of 30. BP was normally 140/86 and the doc was happy. I wasn't.

So, now I use "Super Beets" as well which puts me at 124/78.

Weight-wise I am 185#'s, Which means after 40 years, I am no longer under tall a 6', 1"
I take my weight daily at 5:30 AM as well. But I often drift into the low nineties.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So, now I use "Super Beets" as well which puts me at 124/78.
I used their powder for a couple years, ended up with some massive and kidney stones, apparently they were the cause.

Lots of evidence that lower weight also lowers blood pressure so I'm hoping that shedding excess weight drops my BP

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I used their powder for a couple years, ended up with some massive and kidney stones, apparently they were the cause.

Lots of evidence that lower weight also lowers blood pressure so I'm hoping that shedding excess weight drops my BP
Ihad never heard of that problem. Sorry to hear it.

I've been on Super Beets for years as it helps with ED as well. I wonder if Kidney stones are worth it. :rolleyes:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... After reading your post I see that there can be huge benefits to the watch. Currently, I work and try to be active and I'm having very limited success. But what I'm considering active or exercise might not be up to par with what the watch will register. Interesting enough to me that I broke down and ordered one of the refurbished apple 7 watches....
I hate the silly look of the AppleWatch but honestly there is no other single device that will give you the same functions as the "7" but if you team it up with a scale like the Withings (NOKIA) and a Withings Blood Pressure monitor and you have access to a lot of data.

I have been using this scale for several years: https://www.withings.com/us/en/body-cardio

I have an older version of this BP monitor: https://www.withings.com/us/en/blood-pressure-monitors

Both Withings devices use the same Health Mate smartphone app, and that app also integrate with the Apple Health app.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For whatever it is worth, I'm looking at another gizmo for my health. Obviously I like electronic gizmos.

The Apple Fitness "rings" have been a great motivator for me and I started with the default goals. A couple days ago I increased my my "Move" goal and my "Exercise" goal.

But I'm also curious about body metrics and body fat is one of those elusive things that seems to be difficult to track, the Body Mass Index score is sort of the normal tracking tool. The Withings scale gives a pretty good estimate, but there are other tools that use different methods.

The Bello 2 is very intriguing in how it works and what it does. $250 so it is not cheap. But I am thinking if I can get down to a consistent 195# for several days then I might reward myself with one?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday my 'official' morning weight was 199.8#. Woke up this morning and honestly figured that when I stepped on the scale my weight would be over 200#. My exercises yesterday were not as rigorous as prior workouts, and I had a big dinner that was pretty heavy before going to the fencing club, where mostly I just sat and watched for 3 hours.

But I was very surprised to see my weight had dropped to 198.9 and I can't explain it based on yesterday.

On the other hand, when I started the journey at 204 pounds the weight was NOT dropping off every day. In fact some days I worked hard and ate little and my weight went up. But I also noticed that my hydration level also went up and so I chalk that up to an increase in water weight as my body was probably burning fat but replaced it with even more water. My water weight is still higher than it had been (as a % of my body weight) prior to starting workouts so I presume the weight is coming from fat.

So a couple weeks into all this it seems like there is now some sort of 'noticeable' body change.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Session 1 of the day, 30 minutes on the treadmills while swinging 4# dumbbells in each hand is done.

About 30% of the time they swing with my pace, but the majority of the time I’m raises them overhead, pushing them out to the side, crossing them in front of me, alternating lifting at the shoulders or lifting at the elbows.

I increased my exercise goal 10 minutes from the default 30 up to 40 minutes becasue it is difficult for me to do 40 minutes in 1 session. I started with 30 minute session goals but actually averaged 20 minutes per session. So I was doing 2 20 minute sessions. I still am pushing myself pretty hard to get to the 30 minute mark, but I'm doing more 30 minute sessions now. No way I can go 40 minutes straight. So the 40 minute goal makes me come back for a second workout session, which is typically 20 minutes, and occasionally 30 minutes.

The AppleWatch also tracks hard yard work as exercise, so I pick up some exercise minutes through other activities, by the end of the day I usually end up between 50 and 70 minutes of "exercise" time.

E2578303-C54D-4A7D-B3E8-815F530BE504.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday my 'official' morning weight was 199.8#. Woke up this morning and honestly figured that when I stepped on the scale my weight would be over 200#. My exercises yesterday were not as rigorous as prior workouts, and I had a big dinner that was pretty heavy before going to the fencing club, where mostly I just sat and watched for 3 hours.

But I was very surprised to see my weight had dropped to 198.9 and I can't explain it based on yesterday.

On the other hand, when I started the journey at 204 pounds the weight was NOT dropping off every day. In fact some days I worked hard and ate little and my weight went up. But I also noticed that my hydration level also went up and so I chalk that up to an increase in water weight as my body was probably burning fat but replaced it with even more water. My water weight is still higher than it had been (as a % of my body weight) prior to starting workouts so I presume the weight is coming from fat.

So a couple weeks into all this it seems like there is now some sort of 'noticeable' body change.
A your age, and depending on how long you were at 204 #'s, the weight will not come off slowly. Your body is regulating it at that weight. So you have to force it. And that will happen, but slowly.

I was at 204 for decades. Dieting didn't help and mild exercise didn't either. I am very active at work and at home, so the mild exercise was just part of the routine, at least as far as my metabolic rate was concerned. I did manage, over two years, to reduce to 194#'s but holding it was a real challenge.

It was COVID that gave me the edge. I went down to 175#'s and, after recovery, went on a binge to stay there. 1500 calories a day was tough. No beer no booze and still I gained back to 184#'s. today I bounce between 184 and 190 every morning. Like your experience, there are days I eat hearty and gain nothing, and days I starve and gain weight. Hard to explain other than the idea that my body is fighting my feeble brain.

No surprise then, that the brain is overpowered from time to time.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A your age, and depending on how long you were at 204 #'s, the weight will not come off slowly. Your body is regulating it at that weight. So you have to force it. And that will happen, but slowly.….
I expect it to be hard. But so far I’m still very motivated.

I was talking with another coach last night and he pointed out that most calorie burn calculators are notoriously inaccurate. That is not an issue for me because I’m not counting calories. I’m looking at my current level of movement & exercise and comparing it to my prior levels. As long as my new trend is significantly higher than my prior trend I should be losing weight if food intake is the same. But I’m also changing my intake and eating img healthier, lower fat and lower carbs. But still not counting calories.

Just finished my 2nd exercise session. 20 minutes on the exercycle. 2# barbells in each hand. Varied the resistance from flat to mid to steep slopes.

So today I’m at 50 minutes of exercise (30 treadmill & 20 bike). The extra shown is from a walk outside with Kobe, which is more than a walk because he is 2!!!

70655B42-1A91-47B4-B51A-3B95B9667EE9.jpeg

chowderman

absolute I reinforce your theory: "Motivation is Everything"
my good doctor put me on a "low fat diet" - yeah, , , just try to get them to define "low fat" . . .
so I wrote a program using the big-xzz USDA database plus local entries to totalize daily fat, saturated fat, carbs and calories.
this is "today" - some left over oven baked chicken plus (wife's night out) pork ribs,,, so far
tmp.jpg
neat, but it's all a question of being honest and long term activity.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
absolute I reinforce your theory: "Motivation is Everything"
. . .
but it's all a question of being honest and long term activity.
For me the key is staying motivated.

I was 0.2# below 200# on Tuesday with a weight of 199.8#.

I over-ate (healthy foods like fish, cauliflower and cucumber) yesterday and did 2 workouts.

Morning weight today was 198.9#

If I can lose about 1# to 2# per week then I should be close to my goal of 185# by mid-late October. I just hope to stay motivated to keep this up.

Tomorrow I'll be in Chicago and plan to eat a burger from DEVIL DAWGZ. I used to order double breakfast burgers, but I plan to make it a regular single meat breakfast burger. There is a STAN'S DONUTS a couple blocks away that has an amazing Lemon/Espresso Donut that I usually eat when I have a DEVIL DAWGZ burger. But I'm planning to skip the donut.

It will be my first "cheat meal" in 12 days.