• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best Pellet Smoker Grill

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking for a smoker, and most likely will go with a pellet smoker.
If you have one please share your likes and dislikes for whatever brand you have.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a used treager and after spending a lot of time and $$ trying to make it maintain a steady temp I gave it away and bought a new Reqtec. The reqtec started out with wild temp swings and I contacted reqtec. They asked for a pic of the treager pellets I was using and said the average pellet length was too long and forms bridges in the feed hopper. They sent me a free 40 lb bag of their pellets and the problem went away. On our son's recommendation, who has a reqtec also, I use Pit Boss pellets and they've performed flawlessly. Makes me wonder if the treager pellets were the problem with the treager grill.

BTW asking asking about different makes of pellet grills is like the old question asked yrs ago: "which is best, Ford, Chevy or Dodge?".

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahh Thanks. I had looked at a Treager and liked it. Plus a couple others. I had not heard of Reqtec till your post.
But I liked what I saw. And they had a small one like I was hoping for.
I'm hoping to have it by the 14th so I did not procrastinate for a change.
I bought the RT-B380 Bullseye Wood Pellet Grill Plus 200 pounds of pellets and a grill pad. I'll be set now. :D
Thanks for the input Mike.

Edit to add: Here's a pic. :D

SmokerRT-B380.JPG

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Pellet Smoker? Doesn't that take the sport out of smoking.:ermm:

Ya know. Finding good hickory, oak and ash. Cutting and splitting firewood. Keeping it going with constant adjustments on the damper, the smokestack baffle, stirring the firebox and adding new wood. :yum:

Doing all that stuff takes hours and hours of vigilance. And Beer. Keeps me from having to help the wife with housework

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Pit Boss Pellet smoker

it is awesome. But it is only a smoker, not a smoker and a grill. I’d have no trouble recommending Pit Boss. It has be flawless and idiot proof.

Reactions: Doc

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've always used "Big Bertha", a wood fired smoker that I bought at the Texas State Fair over 25 years ago. I've cooked hundreds and hundreds of pounds of meat on that thing but these days I've no need to be cooking 8 pork butts or 4 briskets at a time. Besides, it's so darned heavy that, in my dotage, I have to use the little tractor and front-end loader to drag it out and position it.

I decided that I needed something smaller and more manageable. Some of the people that I've met RVing use the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crocket model of pellet grill/smoker. It's small and I can easily carry it and stow it in the motorhome. I haven't quite mastered grilling on it yet, I do a passable job, but it works really well as a smoker for two to 4 people. It has Wi-Fi and with an app on your phone you can keep track of everything, including the temp of the meat, without actually hovering over it all day. Of course, with my impeccable sense of timing, I got it before the COVID thing started so I haven't actually used it with the motorhome yet but it works great at the house. ;)

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone have a Camp Chef 36 or 24? They get good reviews, have a couple nice unique features but rusting appears to be an issue. Son has a Traeger 780 and it’s solid. My research sells me on Grilla or Recteq. Buddy just bought a Grilla Silverback, very well built but a bit smaller than I’d like. I’d like to see a Recteq 700.