• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best Chainsaw?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in need of a chainsaw.
Jonsered?
Husqvarna?
Stihl?
McCullock?
Poulan Pro?
Echo?

Somebody told me along time ago Jonsered was "it". When I had a McCullock that would piss me off often. Bat the last time I used a chainsaw was about 1995,
I want a 18-20" bar.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Stihl for the win.

Is McColloch still in business? Echo is pretty good too but I’ve owned Echo and Stihl at the same time and favored Stihl. Might just be a personal preference.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
3rd vote for Stihl. I've had one for 22 years. Still starts on the third or fourth pull.
Best chainsaw I've ever owned.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have both Stihl and an Echo. The Echo is a smaller saw used for pruning and bucking limbs before the bigger and heavier Stihl is put to work. To be honest, I can do 90% of the work with the Echo and it is my preferred tool because it is lighter and easier to use. I really can't see any difference between them apart for their bar length. I also have two Stihl pole saws and a Stihl battery operated pruning saw with about a 6" bar. Based on those numbers I should really be recommending a Stihl but that Echo is still the one that I pick up first.

Reactions: Doc

J5 Bombardier

We have Stihl and Echo , my oldest and I use Echo's, my dad Stihl, both great saw's in their own right , but we are only cutting for ourselves , a professional may think different. Off topic , but I have great luck with Echo grass trimmers as opposed to the Stihl trimmers, don't know why but they last longer for us around the farm.
J5 Bombardier

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Stihl only sells through their dealer network. You should see where the nearest dealer is to you.

You are going to be able to easily find parts for Husqvarna and Stihl. Some of the other brands are going to be harder to find parts for.

I have two Husqvarna's and they both work well considering the abuse I put them through.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 4 Husqvarna's. 3 are of their professional series, 1 is basically residential.
The professional models are bulletproof and can rip through wood like you wouldn't believe. The residential model is just meh. It'll cut but nowhere near what the pro saws will do.
When you are looking at saws, look at the specs for horse power and the weight of the saw. My 2 large Husky's (365 & 372XP) are very powerful at somewhere around 4.6 HP. The bad part is as I age, they seem to get heavier.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have 4 Husqvarna's. 3 are of their professional series, 1 is basically residential.
The professional models are bulletproof and can rip through wood like you wouldn't believe. The residential model is just meh. It'll cut but nowhere near what the pro saws will do.
When you are looking at saws, look at the specs for horse power and the weight of the saw. My 2 large Husky's (365 & 372XP) are very powerful at somewhere around 4.6 HP. The bad part is as I age, they seem to get heavier.
I have a 372XP too and yes it seems to get heavier every year. :(

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have three Husky's; Two Rancher 55's and one 465. The 55's are light and so easy to handle, almost one handed tools. Love them.

For electrics, I have two "Atlas" units from Harbor freight. They are light, fast and amazing. Being Harbor Freight one would think they are cheap. They aren't. Saw unit, battery and charger are all sold separately. They add up to over $350.00.

Atlas has a full line of tools from mowers to trimmers. All use the same battery pack. Eases the pain a bit.

The battery packs last longer than a tank of gas in my Husky's. The cut is faster and amazingly smooth. I took down a 16" diameter green ash. limbed it and cut it to firewood lengths on one charge. My only issue is the chains are crap, won't hold sharpness in hard woods, and better replacements are hard to find.

As for Stihl, great product.

loboloco

I have both a husky and a mcculogh. Use Stihl on the logging jobs. I prefer the husky for heavy work.=, but it is basically a one person saw. will get finicky if it has multiple users. McCuloch is ok for regular yard work. Stihl is good, but they run fast. Like a tramp, they seem to enjoy multiple users.

echo

Poor Sears,
Years ago I bought a Sears Chain Saw for an emergency, last year we had one. I fired it up and it started smoking in about a minute. I had checked the chain oil tank and it was full. Oil was not lubing the chain. I took it apart and the tank was just a plastic tank with no tube going near the chain at all. I tore into it further and the parts were pressed and could not be taken apart. Made in China. I bought a Stihl for $500.00. Won't mention what I said about the Sears.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sears used to be, at least in most cases, an adequate brand of products. If not the best then at least worth the money paid for the tool. They had a good reputation. So, in order to compete with the Wal-Mart and K-Marts, they went to overseas production and put their good name on cheap goods.

150 years of success and,,,,
Now they are gone.

It's how free enterprise competition weeds out badly managed companies.

echo

Sears was doing bad in it's final year.
Our Sears bought frige blew up, we called Sears
The repairman came out and said it died and that will be $85.00 which we paid.
He did not even look at the compressor.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sears was doing bad in it's final year.
Our Sears bought frige blew up, we called Sears
The repairman came out and said it died and that will be $85.00 which we paid.
He did not even look at the compressor.
That statement is kinda rhetorical.
As for your fridge, Sears went from putting their name on Quality Whirlpool appliances to those made by the lowest bidder.

Sears was doing bad from about 1985 on. Because they lowered their standards to have competitive prices. Once on top and one of the strongest retail company's in the world, they listen to their MBA bean counters, and failed to make good decisions