• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Battery operated outdoor yard tools

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Greenworks Pro 60volt battery operated push mower. Also a Greenworks Pro 60volt Snowblower.
I also have a 40volt Ryobi pole saw.

Looking at buy a battery operated leaf blower and also a hedge trimmer. Currently I have Stihl a gas powered blower, Stihl gas powered extended reach hedge trimmer. Looking for something lighter duty than the heavier duty + high quality Stihl gas powered units for just light jobs. Not looking to get rid of my Stihl.

Pretty much married to the Greenworks & the Ryobi brands, simply because I already have the batteries and the chargers.

My thought is that I'll probably go with the Greenworks hedge trimmer at $119 versus the Ryobi at $129. And for the blower I'll probably get this Greenworks at $119 versus the Ryobi at $149. Pretty close to apples to apples comparisons. But since I want lighter weight and more convenient tools, I'm thinking that going with the slightly lower priced products because I still will have high quality and higher capacity gas operated tools for bigger jobs.

Am I missing something? Honestly for a supplemental tool I'm thinking that price is king as long there is enough capacity in the tool. And since I already have the batteries I only need the tool. I don't want to add another brand, with another battery + charger.

----- BLOWERS -----

NOT this BLOWER from Ryobi:

THIS blower from GREENWORKS:

----- TIMMERS -----

THIS TRIMMER from Greenworks:

NOT this one from RYOBI:

Last edited:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have an EGO self propelled push mower that just finished it's second season. I really like the adjustable wheel speed but wish they'd offer 2 speeds for the blade as I would sacrifice some run time for more blade lift. It automatically speeds the blade up when under heavy load but then slows back down when the load decreases.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a battery operated pole saw, shop vac, weed eater and grease gun. All Milwaukee M18 Batteries seem to last a long time. I charge them just to be sure they have a good charge.
But yeah, once invested into any battery bank that is the brand tool to buy if possible. Leaf blower is next on my list.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I just started on the battery powered tool kick. I bought an EGO leaf blower with the 56 volt battery and I am quite impressed. I'll be looking for the EGO chain saw for the little jobs around the place. I can't think of what else that I would need but that doesn't mean that I won't find something, perhaps a hedge trimmer.

I have a Stihl pruning saw that is basically a small chain saw with a 6" bar. It works great too so I am really at a crossroads of whether to stick with EGO or start going with Stihl.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I recently purchased my first battery powered tool (other than cordless drills and saws). A ryobi weed eater. So far I'm not overly impressed. I used it twice and now it won't hold a charge. I may return it.

I agree on the whole "stick with one brand" theory so batteries are interchangeable. Somehow that theory didn't work for me as I have a whole slew of different brands, batteries, and chargers in the garage.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Greenworks Pro 60volt battery operated push mower. Also a Greenworks Pro 60volt Snowblower.
I also have a 40volt Ryobi pole saw.

Looking at buy a battery operated leaf blower and also a hedge trimmer. Currently I have Stihl a gas powered blower, Stihl gas powered extended reach hedge trimmer. Looking for something lighter duty than the heavier duty + high quality Stihl gas powered units for just light jobs. Not looking to get rid of my Stihl.

Pretty much married to the Greenworks & the Ryobi brands, simply because I already have the batteries and the chargers.

My thought is that I'll probably go with the Greenworks hedge trimmer at $119 versus the Ryobi at $129. And for the blower I'll probably get this Greenworks at $119 versus the Ryobi at $149. Pretty close to apples to apples comparisons. But since I want lighter weight and more convenient tools, I'm thinking that going with the slightly lower priced products because I still will have high quality and higher capacity gas operated tools for bigger jobs.

Am I missing something? Honestly for a supplemental tool I'm thinking that price is king as long there is enough capacity in the tool. And since I already have the batteries I only need the tool. I don't want to add another brand, with another battery + charger.

----- BLOWERS -----

NOT this BLOWER from Ryobi:

THIS blower from GREENWORKS:

----- TIMMERS -----

THIS TRIMMER from Greenworks:

NOT this one from RYOBI:
I've had a Greenworks line trimmer for 5 seasons and it has been trouble free with plenty of power. I also have that blower and it is a beast. Great leaf blower.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had a Greenworks line trimmer for 5 seasons and it has been trouble free with plenty of power. I also have that blower and it is a beast. Great leaf blower.
I can say nothing bad about the little snowblower (3 seasons) and lawn mower (4 seasons). But neither is heavily used. That said, when I use them they do impress me.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't have much faith in battery powered tools until recently when I went out with a couple guys clearing downed trees on the snowmobile trails. Two of us had gas powered saws and one had a battery operated husqvarna with a 12" blade. Let's just say that we came across a 12" birch laying across the trail. By the time we got our saws started, the guy with the battery saw had the tree cut and moved. I looked around and read reviews on battery saws and the greenworks 60v 18" came out as one of the top runners. I found one on sale and bought it. The battery doesn't last as long in the cold but for a quick grab saw for random brushing when I'm out in the woods riding the side by side, it'll work out well. I ordered an extra battery for it as well.

1345.pic_658cce4b-bb46-4806-af49-758a3f42b8e7_1080x.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As someone with severe arthritis and very little cartilage remaining in my wrists, I really look forward to hearing about how much/little vibration there is with the electric chain saw. I wear anti-vibration gloves when using my Stihl and believe most of the vibration is the engine rather than the chain. Please keep us updated!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
There's barely any vibration. It's still a chainsaw so expect some. But for small jobs, it's perfect. I took it out to the back 3 acres of our property where I've been cutting trails since we moved there. The battery handles about 20 cuts through 12" trees. There's still the same chain adjustment as a gas powered saw and it still uses chain oil. But as far as cutting, it cuts better than my gas powered husky with 18" bar.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an Atlas, actually two of them, from Harbor Freight. Pretty much the same review.
One issue with the Atlas, the chains are crap. 20 cuts and they need sharpening.

They have lawn mowers, trimmers and shears all using the same battery so once i get the mower I will have five Batteries and two chargers. No job will be too big around the house property. Down at the ranch, I like the electric except for the limited cut capacity of the chains.

So, I agree with Bob that having all tools with the same batteries has advantages.

Ceizad

I'm using DEWALT and Makita chainsaw to do the wood cutting tasks easily. Both are lightweight and automated oil systems really helpful.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
There's barely any vibration. It's still a chainsaw so expect some. But for small jobs, it's perfect. I took it out to the back 3 acres of our property where I've been cutting trails since we moved there. The battery handles about 20 cuts through 12" trees. There's still the same chain adjustment as a gas powered saw and it still uses chain oil. But as far as cutting, it cuts better than my gas powered husky with 18" bar.
I was in a plant installing some platform last week, and had to cut some pipe handrail in a bad spot so we borrowed there brand new Milwaukee battery saws all. It worked great for about 5 minutes worth of continuous use in heavy material. Lucky I only needed to make one cut. 20- 12" cuts with a chain saw before having to change the battery isn't going cut it ( pun intended ) either. Newsome outlawed gas tools here in ca. in a few years. Good luck with that. Can you imagine a commercial landscaper or a forestry crew tying to make that work. You would have to have thousands of batteries and try to keep them charged. You would need one hell of a battery to run my felling saw. How about cutting and weed eating 10 acres?? All pipe dreams.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would point out that HAND TOOLS typically use 18 to 24 volt batteries.

OUTDOOR TOOLS like chain saws, string trimmers and snowblowers typically use 60 to 80 volt batteries.

So the OUTDOOR TOOLS are using batteries that are much larger/heavier and longer lasting batteries.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

OUTDOOR TOOLS like chain saws, string trimmers and snowblowers typically use 60 to 80 volt batteries.

So the OUTDOOR TOOLS are using batteries that are much larger/heavier and longer lasting batteries.
Still 20- 12" cuts with a chain saw?? thats not even 1 tree. If you live I a city on a 4,000 sq. ft. lot battery tools may be OK. But they didn't make any carve outs for commercial businesses. Not to mention the extra tax on the electrical grid. Reality is a long way off until a battery will do what a tank of gas will do. And if you are in the field all week due to logistics, what are you going to do? Charge them with a battery operated generator, build a solar grid, buy and charge a thousand batteries for the trip? I would love a solar saw that also operated at night, that also is a pipe dream.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

All my Milwaukee outdoor tools use the same M18 batteries as my indoor tools.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All my Milwaukee outdoor tools use the same M18 batteries as my indoor tools.
Oh, I'm sorry for you. :boxing: Must be very light duty stuff. Can't imagine those little drill batteries running my snowblower or lawnmower.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Bottom line is, Battery operated tools are handy for a quick lite job, like cutting a small lawn, blowing off the small lawn or cutting a tree branch that fell across the driveway. They are not viable for heavy or commercial use for the same reason you can not stand alone with a solar system without a massive battery bank, and even then you would be conserving on some days. Battery technology has made leaps and bounds over the last few years, but its not there yet.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh, I'm sorry for you. :boxing: Must be very light duty stuff. Can't imagine those little drill batteries running my snowblower or lawnmower.
:rolleyes: AFAIK, Milwaukee doesn't have a snow blower but the pole saw, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer all work great for long periods of time on the batteries. From what I hear the Milwaukee M18 Chain Saw is pretty good too.

I have way too many Milwaukee tools and its really nice to just have to manage a single set of batteries (I have a lot of those too).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up a new RYOBI 40v leaf blower, the 2nd best model they make, for $70 off of Facebook Marketplace. It claims 525 cubic feet per minute and 110 mile per hour airspeed but that is somewhat misleading. It only produces that when you push the TURBO button. For the cheap price I'm happy with it but if I would have paid full price I would return it.

I've also got a gas powered STIHL blower, it is more powerful than the battery RYOBI, even when the TURBO button is depressed. But the STIHL blower make a lot more noise and is not silent and ready to operate at an instant when you set it down, it still idles and makes noise. For bigger jobs at the house, the gas blower is clearly the correct choice, but for quick clean ups of the patio, or blowing dirt off the garage floor, the battery RYOBI unit is actually really convenient.

Basically it is a 2 speed blower. Low and high. Turbo engages high. Unlike the gas units, which have a throttle that lets you vary the wind speed, this is a simple 2 speed.

I wanted to pick up the Greenworks Pro blower unit, could not find one on sale anywhere nearby, so it was simply a matter of lower price and easy availability that made me opt for the RYOBI

Still looking for a battery hedge trimmer and a small battery chain saw. Lots of brand new RYOBI stuff on Facebook Marketplace near me at roughly 1/2 retail. Probably going to be looking seriously at those, even though I think the Greenworks Pro is better. I have STIHL gas powered chain saw and hedge trimmers for when the jobs are big.

8A358D7E-F9B7-4C10-BFC9-AC09A21D9488.jpeg3D3BFC47-05E1-4603-A252-A542AB255013.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a small lot for the Springfield house. 50' X 80' Lot and of that, only about half or less is lawn. My son gave me an old 20" gas push mower that died this weekend. So electric is my choice for replacement.

The Atlas mowers are full size and about $250.00 without batteries or charger. With two Atlas chainsaws, two trimmers, and a pole saw, I have about 6 Atlas batteries with several chargers but still seems a lot. It takes 15 minutes to mow the grass. I could just use a trimmer.

Actually, I just need something small and cheap. LOL

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm starting to look at replacement options for the turfcat as it's more of an industrial machine for golf courses and city workers. The mower deck is worn out. It's been leaking oil. And I'm growing tired of babysitting idlers and pulleys and blowing belts on a 30 yr old mower deck.

I've been intrigued by the new ride on electric mowers coming out. Seems like a good mower. Appears to be well built.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A Perfect application of today's technologies. I could use it to earn a living but do not have to count on it to get to a work site 400 miles away.

All that weight likely rides like a dream. And no belts to wear out, break or adjust.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Early fathers day gifts from my wife. To add to the 40v Ryobi tools I already own. I have similar STIHL gas powered tools for bigger jobs. But I'm finding the battery power items have some advantages for me.

First advantage is they are lower vibration. As I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, which had degenerated the cartilage in my wrists, gas powered tool vibration tends to hurt my hands/wrists for hour(s) after use so I tend to avoid tasks that need to get done!

Second advantage is they are pretty quick to use and put away. Literally press a button and they start. So small jobs are no hassle.

The chainsaw has a 14" bar. I think the hedge trimmer is 28"?

Both are "good enough" for all my small jobs, and most of my other jobs. The gas powered STIHL equipment is much higher quality and will power through tougher jobs quicker and easier, but will be used less and, very likely, more jobs will probably get done.

E5297988-213E-4AFE-94CF-C06C0D1C10F9.jpeg44399831-3C54-4A32-B926-88C579655114.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got to admit I am loving the battery operated equipment.

Leaf Blower is used (honestly) about 10 times a day to 'sweep' off our kitchen patio. We have a locust tree that shades the patio but late spring it sheds tiny florets at a rate that sometimes exceeds a winter snowfall. Not as powerful as the gas blower, but it now sits next to the garage access door and we just grab it and go. Every time I use it I think that it is not as powerful as the STIHL blower but I don't grab the STIHL unit, which is sitting next to the battery operated RYOBI.

I was pulling weeds, noticed a bush was growing to close to the AC compressor and used the hedge trimmer to cut that back, literally 60 seconds of run time. While the STIHL gas trimmer is 100% reliable and far more powerful, I'd have spent more time priming and starting it than I spent cutting, and it weighs more and vibrates a lot more too.

I can NOT imagine using battery operated units for COMMERCIAL applications. But they are great around the house.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 40'X70' lot qt the Springfield house,

The little gasoline powered mower wouldn't start. It came home and will be replaced with an electric.
Probably and Atlas since I have about 8 batteries and 3 chargers for the yard tools I already have.
I agree, for the "little" jobs at home, battery power seems to be the way to go.