• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Are cell phones too smart?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously! On more than one occasion, I've been talking to my wife about something then go on my phone and ads begin popping up on Google, Facebook, here, kijiji, etc. Not site specific but in general.

The other day I noticed this. I was mentioning to the wife that our neighbor was looking into a future steel building. Guess what happened? I went on my phone and ads on both Google and Facebook started appearing for future steel buildings.

On another occasion, we were talking about eyeglasses and appointments. You guessed it. A bunch of ads began appearing for eyeglasses and optometrists.

Is there a way to turn off voice recognition so my phone doesn't spy on me and eavesdrop on my conversations?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure, but I've never looked in to the voice recognition settings.
It probably entails going all around the mulberry bush to disable it.
I know while messaging with folks before on Facebook about ANYTHING.. next thing you know the ads are popping up in your timeline.
:eek:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For privacy on any smartphone you need to disable a lot of crap.

Not sure how android defaults, but with the exception of a few Apps on my iPhone I disable location services, google maps, don't automatically accept cookies, cellular data off, etc. nor do I use Siri.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen the same. Even talking on a car ride with sister in law about tires the next day on FB I get tire ads in my feed on my laptop. I've read that even if you turn off the phone it still picks up key words. Sneaky bastards.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Turn the phone off and wrap it in tin foil. You can actually buy "farraday cage" phone pouches.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
For privacy on any smartphone you need to disable a lot of crap.

Not sure how android defaults, but with the exception of a few Apps on my iPhone I disable location services, google maps, don't automatically accept cookies, cellular data off, etc. nor do I use Siri.

Me too. I also never 'sync' any devices, don't use the cloud, and have an ad blocker on my computer.
No need for tin foil. I never see any ads.

I do connect the phones to the computer. One is a hotspot. One is a Phone. Never have much use for internet via phone. Too small.

And I also don't use facebook which I suspect of being the ringleader in the "ads in your face" problem.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I quit using google all together. I now use duckduckgo.com for any searches on the internet. Check them out.

Kaper

I've shut off as many apps as I can on my phone. Usually leave it in 'airplane' mode unless I want to make a call. Otherwise it's off. I'll turn in on if I need google maps but shut the app off when I'm done. Not a big phone user.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Before I resort to that I think that I'd just get rid of the phone. Jeez, I don't know where it is half the time anyway. Why do you need 24-hour a day connectivity anyway? Am I showing my age?