• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Adventures in Snowcatting

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm making good time. I had to push a few fallen trees out of the way with the blade. No big deal. Do it all the time. One tree had a branch buried under the snow that sprung up and hit the fan shroud bending it slightly. I didn't know it till the warning beeper inside the cab started going off. I quickly shut the machine off and discovered the fan was now hitting the shroud and would not turn. The engines overheating. Great. I'm now 20 miles down a trail in three feet of snow. I get out, raise the cab, grab a sledge and a peice of wood and have a few choice words with the fan shroud. I fire up the engine and the fans turning again. Awesome. I'm not stranded and only lost a half hour. I get going again and put a few more miles behind me. Things go great for a few hours till I go to lower the front blade to grab some snow to fill in a creek. WTF??? The blade doesn't go down all the way. I get out and discover a nice pool of hydraulic oil. One of the hoses blew going to the front blade. I check in the tool box. CRAP!!! I don't have the right hose. So using the blade the rest of the day is out. I can still keep going as long as I don't touch the blade control. I topped off the hydraulic oil to replace what was lost when the hose blew and got going again. It was slow going today pushing 3 ft of powder.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Things are going slow and I lost time with the blown hose and bent fan shroud. I finally make it out of the bush portion of the trail before heading 7 km's down an old unplowed bush road. I'm only halfway to my destination and I've been at it now for 8 hrs. I decide I'm gonna leave the machine at the end of this old road where it meets the highway and call for a ride to come get me so we can get a new hose for the blade. I get going. The wipers are going steady to clear the windsheild. All of a sudden, SNAP!!! The wiper on the drivers side flies off. I get out to check it out and find that the arms snapped off. So now I have no wipers. I only have one light on the roof working since the other one blew and I couldn't find a spare bulb in the machine. The lights on the bottom of the cab are working but are pretty much useless since the front blade is all the way up and I can't lower it. Snow is flying up on the windsheild. The inside of the windshield is fogging up. Can't see a friggin thing.:hammer: It's starting to get dark now. I only have one light that's actually pointing where I want it to. I can't see out of the windshield now. I spent the last few miles stopping every couple hundred feet to wipe both the inside and outside of the windshield so I could somewhat see.

Overall, not a great day. Not a bad day but not great either. The way I see it is that a bad day of snowcatting is better then a good day at work.:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG00243.jpg
    IMG00243.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG00247.jpg
    IMG00247.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 448

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A nearly 12 minute circle around my property and some of the neighbor's houses:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfbMG8BkBo"]YouTube - Snow Trac ST4 in the fields of northern Indiana[/ame]

Oh, and I didn't run out of fuel.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
You had an adventure, Brian !
Woohoo! Bob actually drove his Snowtrac !

Skidozer in some rare eastern powder.
Check out the pile of snow it's pushing with the tracks.

Attachments

• SkiD22011powderW.jpg
    SkiD22011powderW.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 427

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Hey . . . I actually drive it whenever I can . . . I was delayed this year by construction on my new garage expansion but I get it out frequently.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
You had an adventure, Brian !

Skidozer in some rare eastern powder.
Check out the pile of snow it's pushing with the tracks.

:clap: Nice picture!

Looks like about the same amount of snow I was pushing all day yesterday.

weatherby

Thanks for the mile by mile story Groomerguy. I think a lot of us can relate to situations like yours from time to time (I know I can) frozen fingers & all.

Melensdad......Thanks for taking us for a ride in your snotrack, very nice:thumb: I felt very warm and comfortable....er....er...wait a minute...maybe that's because I'm sitting on my couch in my warm living room:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
cool vid jim now get a take the ham tech test and get rid of that chicken band antenna and get a 2 meter radio installed than you can learn about the wonderful world of irlp

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
contact a local ham find out about irlp with that system we are able to comunicate with out phone bills

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
some pics of the ice shack out on the ice today the owner claimed it weighs about 5000 pounds.

Attachments

• node 003.jpg
    node 003.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 827
  • node 004.jpg
    node 004.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 820

northeastheavy

From wide open snotrac photos in Alaska to narrow wooded trails in the Northeast. With 7 storms in a row, real deep powder has finally settled down. This is a great snow year and great to have a running machine for once!!! I think my old snowmaster st4b would have a tough time in the woods!!! First picture is the driveway!!! Trail photos are on an old stagecoach road from the 1700's. We are actually in the Taconic Mtns on the NY/VT/MA border. Having a blast, thats for sure.
icon14.gif

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 794
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 785

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
some pics of the ice shack out on the ice today the owner claimed it weighs about 5000 pounds.
Don,what is that house for? Real heavy little thing.
also that one pimped out snow trac is looking good.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok,we did it again ,this time we headed out with out lyndon. Actually we didn't even tell him what we planned. (Going to catch hell for that,I'm sure.)
Earl and I decided to just take mine and leave his in the shed. We met ron with his original red one at his cabin on the east side of white pass in washington state.
We got out late friday and at 5000ft we met this groomer. as you can see by the tracks I chickened out first.
ronscabin002.jpg

ronscabin006.jpg

Some of the deepest I been it. The pintal hitch was the only part that dragged and it only hit off and on.
ronscabin033.jpg

Earl knee deep behind the trac looking for a firm spot to step.

ronscabin027.jpg

following day we drove up to some wilderness area that is off limits to us.
This is at the edge of it and Ron did a little hiding in the brush.

ronscabin040.jpg

ronscabin039.jpg

Last edited:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Couple of Tucker Terra's getting some exercise this past weekend. Above Ski Cooper, near Leadville

Attachments

• 1250x.jpg
    1250x.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 573
  • 1252x.jpg
    1252x.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 565

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Time to change the oils and get those tracks good n tight folks! Winter is fast approaching. I have been a little lax the past couple years in my snowcatting adventures since I took a step back from the snowmobile club I was volunteering for. After a couple years break, I'm getting back into it this year. I will be exploring a whole new area this year with both a BR160 and BR180 at my disposal. I spent the evening out at the groomer barn meeting all the new people and looking over the new machines I will be running. Looking forward to it.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Let the adventure begin Snow cat Jamboree Leavenworth Washington Jan 25th ~ 30 2013 check out the fourms calander for more imformation .

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't run the ole girl in 3 years now but I still get updates on how she's doing. Looks like they had a bit of an adventure with her today after breaking through a swamp while opening the trail for the first time. I know exactly where that spot is. I've nearly had the machine break through a few times. It's a bad spot that doesn't really get stiffened up till the machines been over it a few times and the frost sets in good. Looks like they got er out with the use of a backhoe.

10849775_1506814566252967_7952663311319983902_n.jpg

10846296_1506814606252963_545793298630429660_n.jpg

10477907_1506814552919635_7191541554373101999_n.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that woud take any fun out of groooming trails..

It happens, just hope not too often. Bet there are some very cold hands and feet before they get it out. Lucky them....

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I was always very cautious at the beginning of the season around swamp areas after I broke through once. I always enjoyed seeing the finished product after running through with the drag for the first time and seeing that perfectly smooth ribbon behind.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Since I still get updates on how the ole lamtrac is doing, thought I'd share with you. The neighboring snowclub 30 miles away from ole lamtrac's home club has a 1998(I believe) Bombardier BR180. They had some problems with the machines electronics which fried the computer out on the trail. Not a cheap fix. The Lamtrac headed out yesterday to rescue the BR and haul it back to town Kristi style.

Guess things were going good till they blew a hydraulic line on the Lamtrac and had to walk 2 miles back to an access point so they could come to town and get a new hose made up.
10906187_1521581164776307_2950063869633234298_n.jpg

10410690_1521581241442966_8442440779857046615_n.jpg

10906180_1521581281442962_946477175104708669_n.jpg

1454720_1521580818109675_2446678742166513934_n.jpg

10676214_1521580891443001_4231660712230879162_n.jpg

Always an adventure. Miss running the ole girl.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
It's Big Al's fault he is sitting up there in the pearly gates drinking his DR rum and playing with his new found powers. I can here him now I will fix this lame track.