• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

76 B. Bombi "Gatito Malo"

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Seeings how here in Washington, it’s easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission. I figured I better lay down the stealth paint job. And yes, it’s only a secret to keep y’all in anticipation of what it’ll be. ?hahahahaha paint scheme coming soon!

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Here’s a teaser
80B226A8-2B14-48D0-92E2-1F224E920094.jpeg
BB0C2A45-7B04-4DF6-BD82-948CBA94E2C3.jpeg

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
WTF! Never noticed this before but appears to be factory! this looks horrendous. Door rub on the bottom and top. The doors pretty close to square but the door jambs are off 5/16” in 2’. ???
CA095BCA-DE65-4A47-8899-F1E431BEF615.jpeg
F4504274-A72C-4466-9481-C6DB1CC77281.jpeg
D7E4444E-1C4F-4AB8-827D-17ADBF4B1393.jpeg
8E6CCC61-62D0-4EEB-8124-B89F41422881.jpeg
4F50D019-2CF4-48E0-A596-23F6F403C328.jpeg

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Cab bent? Possible hinges can be adjusted to close gap?

Though I do like Cidertom’s analysis.
I wish I could adjust the hinges. I noticed maybe PO cut down original jingle to drop the door and stop some rubbing. The door frame was once square at least from what I can tell. After further analysis it looks like maybe it’s been dropped or impacted. Headed to go get my chain come along. I’m pullin it square. Been staring at it for 2 hours now wandering if I can live with it.....NOPE!!!!! ???

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, not to dissuade you, but I will share my experience. My ST front end didn't fit right. So I fixed it to make it "right". then I tried to mount the hood... undid a bunch of "right". Take your time and keep trying everything, hood, doors, doghouses,beer holders, as you bring it back to "right". you may find, like I did, that I had to split the differences all over the place. Have fun, and the only person that needs to be happy with the outcome is YOU!.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, not to dissuade you, but I will share my experience. My ST front end didn't fit right. So I fixed it to make it "right". then I tried to mount the hood... undid a bunch of "right". Take your time and keep trying everything, hood, doors, doghouses,beer holders, as you bring it back to "right". you may find, like I did, that I had to split the differences all over the place. Have fun, and the only person that needs to be happy with the outcome is YOU!.
I appreciate the opinion and insight Tom. That was the first thing that came to mind was, If I "fix" this then what does this do tp its fit on the chassis. I will be happy if i can get to a happy medium. Because right now it's eating me. I'm a fabricator/pipefitter by trade and it's HARD for me to look past these issues. Once I see it, it just nags at me.

I'm gonna make some relief cuts to the door seal panels and see what happens when I put the chain tugger on it. If I start seeing any deformation, I'll bow down. I once read on here, it might have been @Bobcatbob that said he enjoyed coming across issues to wonder how it got that way........I had that moment today. The history on these little gems must be amazing. If only Gatito Malo could speak, what a tale shed speak.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey @Bobcatbob ? Got part number's for front and rear windshield seals? I think I've got it pin down thru a company called trim lock, but I figured I'd check in real quick.

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Also consider what you read about other cats here. Machines from professional shops and their fitment. Or lack thereof. It could have come from the factory that way. In my case I'm pretty certain that after the brakes were removed, it stopped suddenly by impacting something larger, more solid, etc. Leading to oops fitment. If we ever get together with my cat, ask to see the gouges the drive chain cut into the body panel.

one last question, is it possible the chassis is warped so that when the cab is mounted, it becomes square? Any way you do it it will be better than it was.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't read much of those issues yet. As far as fitment, that it is. But, as you noticed in my lil rant earlier I did think that it could have came that way from the factory. And the floors on these things are pretty cheap (insert daydream of aluminum tube frame chassis:love:) It probably is a bit uneven. The issue I have and think I can fix is similar to when you square a box, a stud wall or any square object for that matter, corner to corner. its like its been pushed in. All measurements seem to point to that if I can tweak pull in from 2 opposing corners that I can bring the box into square. This may have been done at the factory. If so, F*!k the Bombardier welder that tacked this up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. We'll See tomorrow. I drilled and cut up some 1/2" plate tabs that I'm gonna weld on the 2 corners and chuck my lil tugger in there. might half to make some relief cuts in the door channel. But nothing effort can't fix. Down the spiral I go.

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey @Bobcatbob ? Got part number's for front and rear windshield seals? I think I've got it pin down thru a company called trim lock, but I figured I'd check in real quick.
I don’t. I’ve been getting everything from Boggie (I had the rear window replaced along with the seal that Boggie supplied). The front seal was in good shape.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, you guys can’t say ya didn’t warn me.
Buuuuuut, I just could resist!?I made some tabs outta 1/2 plate and stitched em to the tube frame and started cranking.

759088C2-8C61-4504-9A52-9272716F7869.jpeg

Wasn’t getting much. Everything was too bound up. It needed a release. So I whipped out the grinder and sawzall and started cutting. I trimmed through the upper pillars just leaving the last 1/4 on the outsides. BINGO! I got a little something. More cutting and an hour later, I’d tack and release. NOPE! Too much spring still.
97E73D79-5823-4521-8C48-2EC83C0184FA.jpeg
Finally I after pulling tape and square for another 30 I chopped straight through the fron pillar. Slammed a 1/4” wedge in it and MONEY!!!! Almost perfectly square.

F00D6AE7-3168-46A9-A26F-AD7EF9D5DE61.jpeg
CF09B619-9C38-4741-8B6F-A2B30A189D3D.jpeg
This is the 1/4” gap I now have to fill.

26253357-AD32-4AAE-81B2-6AEFCE20B598.jpeg
13216362-4393-48AF-A83B-5AA22FB4836C.jpeg
A bump stop ?

7CAF0893-A0AC-49DE-9292-63237B4EC1F7.jpeg

Ok, now back to painting!?

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Been awhile. Holidays and painting. I sure bit off a lot of work. Tore into the diff lines the yesterday and pulled the pump. I’m assuming that pump should spin nice and easy correct? I put a pick up of the part no. For future generations.

Attachments

• FE89558B-2683-4BFA-B803-7F5C5A598F99.jpeg
    FE89558B-2683-4BFA-B803-7F5C5A598F99.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 105

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Here’s some snaps of the body coming along. POR 15 undercoat primer then enamels.

D2BB41FD-FAA0-4668-B9D3-09F76A63ADC7.jpeg

508B9C8D-0066-4F12-8D17-E16CC705A478.jpeg
and a picture of my bombi Christmas presents. Full Amsoil fluid swap, new exhaust, heaters, relined steering bands by @MNoutdoors and one sweet bombi emblem plate from @Bobcatbob. Thanks again Bob!!!that’s gonna look good on here?

8B1877C8-1000-452F-BF59-88661DEAD0BC.jpeg

Last edited:

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
@Bobcatbob, @HillBilt, Ever have a gear pump go bad and which model did you replace it with? Or did you rebuild it? Mine, when I turn it, spins smooth except for a flat spot. It has a little bit of resistance too. Doesn't spin freely. Could be the gear oil residual I guess. Those are expensive little pumps.

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
@Bobcatbob, @HillBilt, Ever have a gear pump go bad and which model did you replace it with? Or did you rebuild it? Mine, when I turn it, spins smooth except for a flat spot. It has a little bit of resistance too. Doesn't spin freely. Could be the gear oil residual I guess. Those are expensive little pumps.
Mine was the same way....I checked that it was pushing fluid, no issue.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Solid!!!! I went and poured some new fluid through it while turning and it was much smoother. (Maybe I've never spun a high end gear pump before?) hahahahahhahahhahah.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_4505.jpgIMG_4503.jpg
Got the steering bands reinstalled and made a video to upload to youtube about the removal and reinstall. Haven't uploaded it yet. Through some grade 8 hardware in there and a freshly cut gasket and no sealant. fingers crossed.
IMG_4507.jpg
Shot of the inside of the cab. Used Hammerite Black gloss from rust and shot a primer base on top of the POR 15. That Por 15 needs the metal to 100 % free of oil. I had some spots that didn't take well but the primer covered it up. Not sure how I feel about the POR 15 yet. A lot of steps to it.

IMG_4551.jpgIMG_4553.jpgIMG_4573.jpgIMG_4572.jpg

One more color to go. Gonna added a smoke gray to finish up the camo = ) really happy with the colors. My paint job was terrible. I need a paint booth and real spray setup but this will get by.

IMG_4514.jpgIMG_4575.jpg

Finally got the interior as clean as possible and got it under the heat lamp and heater to warm it up enough to paint.
Gettin there. This would be a lot easier if I had a shop . But, I feel lucky enough to have a carport, a snowcat, and an amazing girlfriend that works as hard as I do on this thing. = ) Life is good

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking great! POR15 is great stuff.....but like any paint, it needs a clean surface. It works really well with a light surface rust (POR = Paint Over Rust), but horrible if any heavy or flaking rust. Amazing how far a little can of that stuff goes. Get us a link to the video when ready...looking forward to seeing it!

77_crew

Looks great! Paint always makes a project feel that much closer to completion! I feel ya on the tent life too! Been there! Luckly I no longer have to work out of a tent but I did that for many years! Keep up the good work!

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks great! Paint always makes a project feel that much closer to completion! I feel ya on the tent life too! Been there! Luckly I no longer have to work out of a tent but I did that for many years! Keep up the good work!
Thanks 77! Paints done!!! Time for reassembly