76 B. Bombi "Gatito Malo"

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Nope haven't swept it yet. Was just about to drain it then I got stuck in a diff oil rabbit hole.From what I can see, no chipped gears. But I need to bust the u joint loose to spin the diff.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Mnoutdoors has a new rubber gasket for the differential, no sealant required....should last the next 40 + years. When I went through my rebuild list prior to starting on the Bombi, I called Mnoutdoors (Brad) and placed a bulk order: track belts, bearings and races, gaskets, seals, etc. Once I dug into the machine, I ordered as I came across issues.....which was many (clutch, starter, carburetor, grousers, cleats)....was surprised on the plethora of replacement parts....and in depth knowledge.

That differential looks rough.....have you swept the bottom with a magnet? Snowcatt in here has rebuilt 5 of these, hopefully he’ll chime in on the pictures.
Much better plan of attack than I had. :ROFLMAO:

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Nope haven't swept it yet. Was just about to drain it then I got stuck in a diff oil rabbit hole.From what I can see, no chipped gears. But I need to bust the u joint loose to spin the diff.
If the tracks are still on the machine, the drive shaft U joint won’t help. If you remove the cap on the sprocket gears, you can pull the floating axle out on each side, put the transmission in neutral....then spin the drive shaft (a big screw driver in the u joint for leverage), good to go.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
If the tracks are still on the machine, the drive shaft U joint won’t help. If you remove the cap on the sprocket gears, you can pull the floating axle out on each side, put the transmission in neutral....then spin the drive shaft (a big screw driver in the u joint for leverage), good to go.
Thanks Bobcatbob. My newbness is showing. hahahahahaha

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Just swept it and drained it. No chunks in the chunk Bob.(y)
IMG_4205.JPG
IMG_4207.JPG

Last edited:

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
How in the hell do these bands come out ? I pulled the front pin but I still need to reach that back pin.

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
How in the hell do these bands come out ? I pulled the front pin but I still need to reach that back pin.
I didn’t need to pull the bands on my Bombi, but on my SW48 I did. I had the same problem until Boggie clued me on removing the front cross member on the differential.

Attachments

• D6B067A2-849E-45B3-814D-719B231D6A95.jpeg
    D6B067A2-849E-45B3-814D-719B231D6A95.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DEDD5240-0C8D-4BBE-A461-CE4A3AC3FEC2.jpeg
    DEDD5240-0C8D-4BBE-A461-CE4A3AC3FEC2.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 46

HillBilt

Just getting after it! Your diff oil looks like mine😂 Nice work so far. Not gonna lie I chuckled when I seen how bundled up your lady was for 40F. We be riding dog sleds in tshirts up here in that balmy weather😜Awesome she's in there getting work done👊🏻

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn’t need to pull the bands on my Bombi, but on my SW48 I did. I had the same problem until Boggie clued me on removing the front cross member on the differential.
I thought I had figured it out when I noticed a pic in one of these bombi threads that had that crossmember removed. I was so excited and ran outside to remove it thinking i had won against the almighty steering band, but nope didn't do it either. Theoretically, it should all come out in one piece eh? I'm gonna need a bigger hammer.:unsure:

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
And what is the deal with these funky sized headlights? OH MY GOD. Nothing standard. Bought some new 4 x 6 headlights.. What do ya know? No fit. More customization. WOOOOOOO!

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Found the trick on the Bombi's for removing the bands. Woohoo! 3 days of searching!

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
What is the name of the sealant that glues these glass lens to the proprietary housings? I wanna hack em. I baked these babies in the oven for 45 minutes on 350F and nothing. Glue was still hard and wouldn't release. I'm gonna have to make a 3d printed bezel and a back plate to mount to the ski-doo bolt pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_4212.JPG
    IMG_4212.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Steering Bands out. :giggle:Did those of you that got them relined waste the effort on repainting them?

Snowy Rivers

The oil looks like it may have some water in it judging by the color.
Is there an easy way to get all of the old stuff out (Bottom drain ???)

I had the bands in my OC12 relined back in August....The shop bead blasted the steel bands and then riveted the lining on...
No paint was done.
Glyptal brush on enamel works well in hydraulic tanks....should be fine for the bands....

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
What is the name of the sealant that glues these glass lens to the proprietary housings? I wanna hack em. I baked these babies in the oven for 45 minutes on 350F and nothing. Glue was still hard and wouldn't release. I'm gonna have to make a 3d printed bezel and a back plate to mount to the ski-doo bolt pattern.
I ended up replacing the bulbs and pigtails on the lights. I couldn’t find a way to separate the glass from the housing.

Bob

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
The oil looks like it may have some water in it judging by the color.
Is there an easy way to get all of the old stuff out (Bottom drain ???)

I had the bands in my OC12 relined back in August....The shop bead blasted the steel bands and then riveted the lining on...
No paint was done.
Glyptal brush on enamel works well in hydraulic tanks....should be fine for the bands....
Yeah, it drains most of it. I’ll clean the rest of it out real good with some degreaser before I put the new bands in. Amsoil power shift sae 30 on its way. = )

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
C
I ended up replacing the bulbs and pigtails on the lights. I couldn’t find a way to separate the glass from the housing.

Bob

copy that. That’s what was the PO did as well but the wire brackets holding the bulb in looked sketchy so.... out with the old an in with the custom. = ) if I end up waterjetting the mounting plates, I’ll get a few extra made for the bombi folks. Planning on 3D printing the bezel rings.