76 B. Bombi "Gatito Malo"

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
@Bobcatbob, @HillBilt, Ever have a gear pump go bad and which model did you replace it with? Or did you rebuild it? Mine, when I turn it, spins smooth except for a flat spot. It has a little bit of resistance too. Doesn't spin freely. Could be the gear oil residual I guess. Those are expensive little pumps.

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
@Bobcatbob, @HillBilt, Ever have a gear pump go bad and which model did you replace it with? Or did you rebuild it? Mine, when I turn it, spins smooth except for a flat spot. It has a little bit of resistance too. Doesn't spin freely. Could be the gear oil residual I guess. Those are expensive little pumps.
Mine was the same way....I checked that it was pushing fluid, no issue.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Solid!!!! I went and poured some new fluid through it while turning and it was much smoother. (Maybe I've never spun a high end gear pump before?) hahahahahhahahhahah.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_4505.jpgIMG_4503.jpg
Got the steering bands reinstalled and made a video to upload to youtube about the removal and reinstall. Haven't uploaded it yet. Through some grade 8 hardware in there and a freshly cut gasket and no sealant. fingers crossed.
IMG_4507.jpg
Shot of the inside of the cab. Used Hammerite Black gloss from rust and shot a primer base on top of the POR 15. That Por 15 needs the metal to 100 % free of oil. I had some spots that didn't take well but the primer covered it up. Not sure how I feel about the POR 15 yet. A lot of steps to it.

IMG_4551.jpgIMG_4553.jpgIMG_4573.jpgIMG_4572.jpg

One more color to go. Gonna added a smoke gray to finish up the camo = ) really happy with the colors. My paint job was terrible. I need a paint booth and real spray setup but this will get by.

IMG_4514.jpgIMG_4575.jpg

Finally got the interior as clean as possible and got it under the heat lamp and heater to warm it up enough to paint.
Gettin there. This would be a lot easier if I had a shop . But, I feel lucky enough to have a carport, a snowcat, and an amazing girlfriend that works as hard as I do on this thing. = ) Life is good

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking great! POR15 is great stuff.....but like any paint, it needs a clean surface. It works really well with a light surface rust (POR = Paint Over Rust), but horrible if any heavy or flaking rust. Amazing how far a little can of that stuff goes. Get us a link to the video when ready...looking forward to seeing it!

77_crew

Looks great! Paint always makes a project feel that much closer to completion! I feel ya on the tent life too! Been there! Luckly I no longer have to work out of a tent but I did that for many years! Keep up the good work!

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks great! Paint always makes a project feel that much closer to completion! I feel ya on the tent life too! Been there! Luckly I no longer have to work out of a tent but I did that for many years! Keep up the good work!
Thanks 77! Paints done!!! Time for reassembly

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Man, painting..... I’m a painter by hobby and this was a lot of work. 73EB4D4B-B0B5-46D3-B084-D51545CF5746.jpeg
Had too!!! 😎

7BAE7EA6-8CB2-45D4-9CD2-4B0EA7DFA10A.jpeg

por 15 base, primer and gloss black rusto. Would have looked a lot nicer had I sprayed the chassis but...... is what it is. It’s protected now and looks 10x better than it did

Attachments

• 6724E972-60D9-4D18-A592-57944643CB41.jpeg
    6724E972-60D9-4D18-A592-57944643CB41.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 1A4A545D-8BE1-45E9-A89D-F43594913648.jpeg
    1A4A545D-8BE1-45E9-A89D-F43594913648.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • B181A16A-3AB3-4CB8-A5EA-7EE5CE3B5C20.jpeg
    B181A16A-3AB3-4CB8-A5EA-7EE5CE3B5C20.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 8430BFE3-6D43-4AFD-8D99-370D16F1168D.jpeg
    8430BFE3-6D43-4AFD-8D99-370D16F1168D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 6C10D6DE-12B1-4C9F-80C4-349FC12FED36.jpeg
    6C10D6DE-12B1-4C9F-80C4-349FC12FED36.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Radiator and oil cooler are at the radiator shop getting cleaned, pressure tested and painted. Lots of shit in the passages. Woooooooohooooo!!! It’s times for reassembly ladies and gentlemen!!! Thanks to those that help along the way and continue to help!!! I appreciate you!

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey @Bobcatbob got part numbers for the radiator hoses or do you typical just use the flexible make your own shape hoses.... wait let me guess, you didn’t have to replace those🤣 man.... I paid too much for this heap. Well like a bad stock purchase, ride it til the green!!!

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Elon Musk would be proud of that “Mapp Gun”. Project looks great! And you never pay to much for the journey a Snow cat rebuild offers....something you tell your grandchildren about.

I tried to find stock replacement hoses for the Bombi...both odd balls. I ended up using the old hoses (which were in pretty good shape, though when I refurbish, I try to replace all rubber and wearables). I have a bunch of gates hoses I bought....just couldn‘t make them fit (that top hose is a Chinese noddle).

Keep up the great work! Have you looked at the clutch? Compression tested the engine?

Bob

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Hahahah! I love fire. I beat Elon to the flame thrower Idea.:cool: I died laughing when I heard about the Boring Company and it's flame throwers.

For the radiator hose, I'm gonna cobble something together. Saw a good video from NAPA actually on restomodding coolant hoses. They had a novel plan. Get the bends you need in rubber (preferably gates and not silicone) and join them together using straight pipe and clamps. I'll go this route. And yes that top hose is the most oddly shaped radiator hose I have ever seen.:ROFLMAO:

Got a call from the radiator shop today......Bad news not only is my oil cooler cracked and damaged from what appears to be water in the hydraulic system that worked its way into the oil cooler then froze, (ballooned end on the cooler was the warning sign as well as the oil "wet spot" on the fins) my damn radiator has multiple leaking points. Gonna re-core the old radiator (275$) and buy a new oil cooler. They wanted 300 to repair the cooler. I'll just buy a new one.

Haven't done a compression test yet Bob :(....I should have already done that buuuuuuuut. And I haven't looked at the clutch yet either, however it grabbed really well when it was running. I do a compression test but the way things have been going, I'm not sure I want to know, yet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HillBilt

Sucks about your rad and cooler, but better to find out in the radiator shop. Nice job painting it, all the work will pay off when it comes together. 👌🏻

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Sucks about your rad and cooler, but better to find out in the radiator shop. Nice job painting it, all the work will pay off when it comes together. 👌🏻
Yeah I totally agree.... now Bobs got me spooked that more gremlins are lurking 😅😅😅 but on the bright side, I’ve been doing a bit of research on our motors and these cross flow Kent motors are actually pretty bad ass and have a huge cult following. The ones we have are the updated 711m’s. Lots of mod parts. Found one pushing 300hp😁😁😁

HillBilt

Yeah I totally agree.... now Bobs got me spooked that more gremlins are lurking 😅😅😅 but on the bright side, I’ve been doing a bit of research on our motors and these cross flow Kent motors are actually pretty bad ass and have a huge cult following. The ones we have are the updated 711m’s. Lots of mod parts. Found one pushing 300hp😁😁😁
Yeah, cool little engine for sure. Ive read alot of hate on the little 1.6 but not sure why. I was actually impressed, but my expectations were low to be honest. It hauled 6 of us up the mountain 2nd gear no problem, smaller grades 3rd sometimes 4th. I feel EFI and a small turbski would be tits and have more power than I would need for my use anyways.