• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1953 Tucker Sno Cat 443 Mt Washington WMTW Channel 8 Restoration

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Upon closer inspection I see a hole with in weld over it. This is probably where the vacuum advance was and why it runs like shit with the new carb.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been almost two years since I tinkered with this cat. Need to make some room in the shop so moving this one to a secret Orange Ops Site.

Couldn't get the cat to run right last time. It ran but rough and as it warmed got progressively worse. Had new cap rotor points plugs wires and carb rebuild back then. Took a fresh look at it this week.

Rebuilt another Holley single barrel it came with didn't run better. Double triple checked timing plugs wires no better. Adjusted carb timing and checked compression at 145 cyl 1 2 3 4, 135 5 6 cold.

Set points again nothing. Got the points and condenser from vintage power wagons orig. This time I found some NAPA part numbers for the IAD-4040-1 distributor courtesy of the forum and picked up new points, rotor, and condenser.

The rotor didn't fit right that was on there. Distributor is a mechanical not vacuum advance. Adjusted points and she fired up better than ever and sounds great. Adjusted the idle mixture and timing and we have a nice runner.

One more step completed on the road to recovery!

Little video for you: https://youtu.be/3HthncBwZ3w

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No sno cats today just wild ones !

Lots of people up in Tuckermans

Attachments

• IMG_7869.jpg
    IMG_7869.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_7868.jpg
    IMG_7868.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 259

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This might be a first Tucker pairing.

Tucker pot hauler. Dad must have stopped by...

Attachments

• IMG_8169.jpg
    IMG_8169.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 249

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Depending on how quick sno falls project is hoping to roll in the shop for disassembly

Appearance wise I believe I can make this cat look like new. Few things will be more modern but tucker and correct. Most won't be able to tell.

Sourced:
4 Matching fiberglass pontoons with some to spare
4 sprockets
2 pontoon flanges axle housings/diffs
4 long axles and hubs
Aluminum tables if needed

Sourcing in Progress
1 1953 443 Body
4 Tracks
256 Rollers
8 Top Rails
8 Bottom Rails
4 Shoes
4 Outer Pontoon Bearing Retainers and caps

Not bad so far. Looking forward to the triage of the bones I am working with.

SNOVID!

0D05BD43-AE88-4B9C-9D04-0CF512300DF9.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is also a plug hanging out the grill for a block heater possible that weird fuel heater I need to take a closer look at.

Can't imagine the motor started easily in the worst weather in the world!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Moved the cat into position. Boys did a great job vacuuming it all out.Next steps are to remove everything that doesn't belong on the cat and assess.

I put it on some car dollys so we can move it around as needed.

Motor hasn't run in a few years so will get it fired back up.

As much abuse as this cat has seen it is amazing the tie rods and still straight.

Curious heater and it looks like the front would have had a bench seat.

Love the advertisement if
B494042E-D6AE-42DC-BA5F-9210C5320583.jpeg
D07296A3-C8FF-4CBF-8DEA-50C417DA6630.jpeg
5345E91E-5254-4322-915D-93E0D0E84DB4.jpeg
980D48D7-BD11-4C3E-BE80-3A09AFAA2439.jpeg
1267204A-F2B8-4B94-922D-16EC34DCD9F2.jpeg
7E988B39-9B81-4C35-9F7D-F1509600E24B.jpeg

VanTucker

Hey i'm 18 years old and just recently stumbled upon a 53-443 couldn't pass this opportunity, I noticed you recently bought new fiberglass pontoons and new tracks as well. Did you purchase from tucker?if not please let me know a neighbor hit one of the rear pontoons and bent the grousers and sheered links, can't wait to get her going!Thanks in advance for the time and info,
Van

230 Pilot

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome aboard Van. Your machine looks awesome. You’ll find a wealth of knowledge and some amazing people on here.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Van congrats and welcome. I wouldn't call any of my parts new. Most of working on these old tuckers requires fixing, repairing, making the needed parts or buying donor cats to support. As time goes on the parts become more and more scarce.

Start a thread of your project and some pics of what you are working with. You will get plenty of feedback and support and experience on here.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Put some time in today. Used some plasma infusion to remove the frame added on in life while careful not to damage the underlying frame. Machine is pretty solid but It will need some patching and filling.

Lost the step added as well.

In the process of trying to get it started. Cranks over. No spark. Will investigate further tomorrow.

Not sure the direction I want to go with the mock up. Thinking of getting the 4 pontoons and sprockets I'm going to use mounted and fit then disassembly for restoration. Not sure if I need to swap the axle housings yet. Pumpkins are smashed in and unsure on tubes being bent.

Looking for 3 outer pontoon bearings and caps to make that happen if anybody wants to sell some parts for the cause.

8ADBAB4A-D1C0-499C-BA75-1689E1D35567.jpeg
ACD9DB31-098D-4B7E-91CD-010941BDA820.jpeg
F6AB4C8D-1670-42D3-8920-8624724A2B82.jpeg
1CD45EE3-ACD7-42BE-AE47-7CF7BD4B6E2D.jpeg
B4A8B100-DA38-40ED-ADBF-F511C0F457DD.jpeg
D41DF88E-BA32-4094-8620-7ECDAA8706A8.jpeg
One step closer to the sno!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Condenser was the problem. Swapped in one from the slant fired right up and idles good. Added some ATF to the tank and the steering works.

Oil pressure gauge works the others seem to be unhooked.

Runs good up to 1/3 throttle then stumbles backfires and shoots sparks.

Any idea what that's from?

PJL

I can't get the video to play. Can hear sound, no picture. Anyway how did the inside of the distributor cap look? Any sign of arcing from one plug to another? How does the rotor look?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put a better video on YouTube. Sounds ignition timing related like a bad condenser or bad points.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Compression is awesome across all 6 cylinders so we can rule out stuck valves.

Have another holly carb that came on it that's also rebuilt. I'm leaning toward ignition but could be fuel.

I put this carb on because thats what should have been on it. Also rebuild Chrysler Carter BBS I believe

PJL

What did the points look like? Were they pitted and burned? Bad condensor usually results in pitted points.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Long shot, but my Ford 254 flathead was acting somewhat similar, turned out to be the fuel pump, ran fine at low RPM but once it sped up the pump was not pumping enough fuel. My pump was still pumping, but not enough. Cleaned carb, made sure all lines were clear, installed new fuel pump, problem solved. Something to consider or look into anyway. Good luck!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's running on a sterile aux marine tank. All new parts. Going to check a few things later today and circle back.

I am thinking that while the valves are not stuck, some of them may be a little stiff and and closing fast enough at higher RPMs.
Did you pour something like Marvel Mystery Oil or the concoction of your choice in the plug holes and let it soak for a bit prior to startup?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wish I had my time machine up and running to get the hours and frustration back but I learned a lot along the way so we can apply continued education credits. As I mentioned whatever the problem was would be dumb and it was.

I have very little experience with points. These cats are the first time I played with them in life and usually prefer a conversion to electronic. Today I swapped and tested two coils which didn't fix the issue. I did find the wiring for the coil and resistor was all wrong so that got fixed along the way and was wondering it it burned the points so I fetched some new ones.

The machine came with a single barrel Holley which was rebuilt as well before I got a correct donor. Swapped that on and it ran the same. Decided to get a new set of points. When I picked the points up from Napa today I noticed a silver spring in the package and asked if this was extra or for another application. Guy said maybe for a different application and I moved on. On the drive home I was thinking about what was in there the extra spring and a bell went off. I thought it was odd how little tension was on the contact when I set the gap but who figured that was normal.

Problem? No spring was installed and floating points under acceleration. Installed the spring, new points, set the gap and like magic purrs like a good cat. It actually runs very well. Next on to the mismatched alternator setup, strange battery ground location, and radiator mess.