• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1953 Tucker Sno Cat 443 Mt Washington WMTW Channel 8 Restoration

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 860

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Radiator is not correct. Wire tied in to factory mount .

Any idea what would have been inhere? Universal should be quick and easy but orig is always nice !

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Little more history learned today. Spoke with the Mt Washington State Park Manager who has been there quite awhile he operated Tuckers on Wildcat back in the 70's. Only compliant was no blade and didn't turn well on the steel stuff.. They have some archives they are going to dig through but it looks like it went up around 1955 and in 1963 they switched to the Thiokol which is on display at the Weather Center North Conway. Tucker served as backup until it was sold off. I believe the thiokol on display is the same unit parked next to my 443 in the picture.

Spoke with the prior owner who was shown a picture of the Tucker in original format in Bethel Maine which should have been after 1963 possibly and is printed in a book.

From that format it was sentenced to logging where the tracks and pontoons were "beat to shit" hence the removal and dismemberment.

Waiting to hear back from another person who knows of it's fate logging and possible they remains of the tracks/pontoons. Stay tuned for the rest but I don't have much faith they survived the scrap pile.

Another interesting bit is he said the USAF was operating sno cats during the 40, 50's, and early 60's on the mountain for some reason. He recalls stories of the crews having to shovel snow drifts level so the Tuckers could get through.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks to the Mt. Washington Historians they found a few more pictures of the Tucker in the glory days!

This adds more motivation to bring it back to that condition!

Attachments

• WMTWSnoCat 001.jpg
    WMTWSnoCat 001.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 767
  • WMTWSnoCatAtSummit.jpg
    WMTWSnoCatAtSummit.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 787

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never been a big book reader but Marty on the Mountain has a book out there. Here is an excerpt from his writings outline a day in my Tucker on Mt Washington.

Worst weather in the world up there sounds like a good time in the tucker!

Hope the bombardier folk don't take offense the mighty Tucker had to save it!

Attachments

• MartyEngstromSnoCat.pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 240

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And this should be the bombardier in question:

Attachments

• WMTWSnoCat 001.jpg
    WMTWSnoCat 001.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 727

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never been a big book reader but Marty on the Mountain has a book out there. Here is an excerpt from his writings outline a day in my Tucker on Mt Washington.

Worst weather in the world up there sounds like a good time in the tucker!

Hope the bombardier folk don't take offense the mighty Tucker had to save it!

Hey Mr. Addict,

You have a piece of history and I trust you will do it right. I noted in the book how the Tucker towed the Muskeg Tractor. This seems to be a universal theme. The four Antarctica Sno-Cats did this at the south pole in '56-57 until they no longer could do it and left the Muskeg along the trail. Too bad the Mt. Washington crew did not think of putting a blade on the Tucker. Life would have been much easier.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks to the Mt. Washington Historians they found a few more pictures of the Tucker in the glory days!

This adds more motivation to bring it back to that condition!

and the only way OUT ! is to sell it to the West Coast Tucker Mafia, hear tell they make offers that can not be refused.

Great history and wonderful photos, adds so much to the whole Tucker story, good luck

Sno Buzzard

Just got done reading the thread, don't let the Mafia get the the best of you refuse any and all offers make Marty proud keep that baby on the the East Coast, resurrect her to her former glory and get her to the top of the Mountain once again for another photo op.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got done reading the thread, don't let the Mafia get the the best of you refuse any and all offers make Marty proud keep that baby on the the East Coast, resurrect her to her former glory and get her to the top of the Mountain once again for another photo op.

too late, the mafia made an offer he could not afford to say no too.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Get out the string push pins and photos to start building the Tucker RICO case. The mafia got me under their thumb.

Details will unfold as the case gets closer to trial.

Sno Buzzard

Good luck, they sound like a pretty tough group, wouldn't want to be in your shoes with a thumb that heavy bearing down on me. Remember I may have gotten you into this mess but I ain't getting you out and at the end of the day happy wife = happy life.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bet they lured you right in with the age old Bait/switch.

I hope you are getting something cool! ;-)

so now that you caved in,
Just have the driver drop it (the bait) off here and then you can load that imp and all will be forgiven. (Mostly just kidding)

Mama will have a 15 MPH baby hauler......

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
New pump for old tucker. I'll put up pics of this old funky one when I get it off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 613

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took the Harley up through Pinkham notch today . Could feel the presence of tucker in the air.

Bunch of friends hiked Mt Washington today. Rode down the Auto road. Few pictures were shared. Staff was educated on the Tucker heritage and impressed.

Their lives became a bit richer today with tucker history!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Giving Tucker Tore-a-parto model 402 a little dignity.

Fresh carb rebuild to replace the imposter Holley added sometime 1970's on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 464

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does it make sense that this Chrysler has no vacuum advance on the distrubutor?

Also was cruise control and option. This has a pull knob like the choke that will hold the throttle open.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Where that blue plug is in the carb base is where the steel vacuum line goes, that goes to the vacuum advance diaphragm on the distributor! I have vacuum advance's on both my old tuckers.Someone may have removed the vacuum advance diaphragm from the distributor base, in years past. They probably advanced the timing as far as the engine would start well when warm,and let the flyweights limit further advance.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That I know but this is the distributor on it. No vacuum on here .

Thinking it was changed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 418