• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

15% higher food prices by October 2020

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Major food suppliers are warning of even higher prices.

At least one supermarket chain owner is projecting a minimum of 10% higher prices by October and probably 15% is reasonable on most food items.

We have been intentionally letting our food supply drop down. We are at 50% of our pandemic levels for our stored staples. Yesterday we started building our food storage again with a trip to the grocery store. Prices have been steadily climbing for months. Another 15% increase in 2-5 months, especially when it is predicted by many in the food industry, seems pretty likely.

Some prices are skyrocketing, COFFEE is up big. Some are not. We are trying to be selective, but we are rebuilding. Not for fear that we won't get food. But for pure consumer/economic reasons. If we are going to eat it anyway, and if we have a place to store it, then it just makes sense to buy it now. Obviously can't really stock up on bread. But shelf stable items like E.V.Olive Oil, coffee, canned goods, boxed goods, etc are all fair game for savings. If you have freezer space the savings on some items can pay for a new freezer in 1 year.

Savings accounts and money markets = ZERO yield right now.
Buying food today that will cost 10-15% more very soon = 10-15% yield in 3 months! That is a substantial annual return on your investment.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been trying to be careful on my grocery shopping trips.
Coffee yes, is outrageous.
I buy kcups, usually the larger box.
One supermarket has their brand.
I've been buying that.
Last week Gevalia was 7.99 for 12 cups.
Prior to that, I bought Cafe Bustelo in the large box and made it last.
I don't buy a lot of extra junk anymore.
Meat prices are ridiculous.
I refuse to pay $25 for a good steak, and a thin one at that.
Ground beef was going upwards of I believe $9 per pound, same for bacon.
I've been opting for cheaper cuts of beef and chicken drum sticks.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, out here I watched the family pack of boneless skinless chicken breast, go from $1.98 to 3.99 # in 8 months. I talked to the store manager one day he was at the check out. He said its mostly due to worker shortages right now, or at least thats what the suppliers are telling him. That and the money devaluation. Look for it to get much worse in coming months.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We have been slowly adding to our long term stores. Including freeze dried survival staples. We have peach and mango halves that are canned in their sauces and good for our years.

If II I haven't already, I would like to introduce ya'll to Keystone canned meats. Simply prepared with no preservatives but a little salt. They are good for five years. It's basically a chunk of pot roast, not too fatty, canned in it's own Juices. Throw one can of beef, one can of beans, one of potatoes and one of carrots it easily feeds five to six people.

And it's good.

They also have chicken and pork. You'll find them at Wal-Mart

In the bottom of my chest freezer
Two 50Lbs of beans,
Two 25 Lb of flour
One 50 lbs of rice.
Some 40 packets of dried yeast

I also grow heirloom Tomatoes because, as they are not hybrids, they re-seed true.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Been doing some reading, seems logistics are getting ready to cause a new round of shortages of everything. The main issue is trucker shortages. Here in Ca. ships are waiting weeks and weeks to get un loaded because the ports are jammed up and can't get it out. Ca. has caused there own trucker hell through regulations on trucks that have had negative impacts. Truckers have quit trucking in droves and out of state truckers don't want to haul in or out of Ca. due to it. Bottom line is regulation has made it difficult and un profitable. Even the DOT in other states have gotten out of control with regulation., like motorhomes and Uhaul trucks that now have to go through weigh stations etc. and if you ever get caught in one of there inspection traps, it really sucks.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just purchased significant quantities of dry and can goods. 2 freezers are full. Wild life feeders are full, I ain’t going hungry. The ability to go off the grid very comfortably is a plus. Bring it on mthrfkrs!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Near Houston, 3 ribeyes

Attachments

• 18532562-E224-43CA-B3B4-F7A9F61F0D9C.jpeg
    18532562-E224-43CA-B3B4-F7A9F61F0D9C.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 122

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just purchased significant quantities of dry and can goods. 2 freezers are full. Wild life feeders are full, I ain’t going hungry. The ability to go off the grid very comfortably is a plus. Bring it on mthrfkrs!
I have rows of storage shelves that we refer to as "the grocery store"
Boxed dry goods are stored in large plastic tubs. Freezers full.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Bought an additional Chest Freezer yesterday.
Hopefully delivered by end of week.
I need to unload my current freezer for repairs.
My 1953 Montgomery Ward Chest Freezer has a bad top door. The plastic has failed so I need to rebuild it.

Once fixed I will refill it with food. Mostly staples like flour, beans and rice.

I will keep the new Whirlpool but I 'll bet the Montgomery Ward will outlast it.

As for canned goods, I have two 40" X 48" X 36" plastic pallet totes full of canned goods.

All bought at good prices.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I look at this as an opportunity to prepare for my future life in the Gulags. According to the wonderful survival guide "Gulag Archipelago" those who showed up that were over weight or "well fed" always seemed to deteriorate the fastest. I'm looking forward to my shoe leather soup. :sneaky: