• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are your favorite herbs, spices and seasonings?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My all-time favorites for steaks and other beef products is this:

Mrs. Zoom brought some of this home recently. Although it says it's a rub, we found just sprinkling it on non-beef meats, veggies and potatoes gives a very nice flavor.

What do you like/use?

Ceee

Site Supporter
I like Montreal Steak Seasoning. I love Head Country Original seasoning for ribs and brisket. I like Lemon Pepper for fish. I've never tried Kinder's.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
This is an impossible one for me to answer. My wife has a cupboard next to the cooktop filled with spices, rubs and stuff. The herbs that she uses most, she grows in her kitchen garden.

I do know that we use the Montreal Steak Seasoning because I've used it on the bbq grill but her go-to spice for almost anything is Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning.

We have a dozen different kinds of salt in all colors, flavors and grain sizes. Why? I'm sure that I don't know.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do know that we use the Montreal Steak Seasoning because I've used it on the bbq grill but her go-to spice for almost anything is Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning.
I discover Cavenders back in the 80's in a bloody Mary of all things. I have had it around ever since.
Great stuff for sure! (y)

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Salt pepper and garlic, the only spices needed for meats. I keep rosemary for pork. I do use the McCormick's Steak and chop mix and the Montreal Chicken seasonings. ( Next ime you do pork chops, use the Montreal Chicken seasoning with added Rosemary. Yummy!)

For vegetables, Coriander is my key ingredient.
Basil, Cilantro, Oregano, Chives, dried onion, are the bulk of my spice palette.

That said, I do all the cooking and I have over fifty different bottles of just about everything. Mostly in the savory side of the population.
Saffron, Curries, and that group, some but not so much.

Some things I grow in my greenhouse. Parsley, celery (which I consider a spice),Oregano, Basil. , Rosemary. My limited lot size and old shade trees prevents decent summer garden.

Bonus points; When the celery stalk gets down to the last three dirty inches, don't toss it. Plant it in a small pot in a sunny window.. It will grow very strong flavoured leaves for soups and sauces.

Last edited:

Ceee

Site Supporter
Bonus points; When the celery stalk gets down to the last three dirty inches, don't toss it. Plant it in a small pot in a sunny window.. It will grow very strong flavoured leaves for soups and sauces.
If the spring ever gets here, I'm going to try this. Just so I do it right, how much of the top of the stalk sticks up above the soil?

I like Cavender's too. I also like Fiesta chicken rub on grilled chicken for soft chicken tacos.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
If the spring ever gets here, I'm going to try this. Just so I do it right, how much of the top of the stalk sticks up above the soil?

I like Cavender's too. I also like Fiesta chicken rub on grilled chicken for soft chicken tacos.
Of the three or four inches, about half in the soil.
Also, depending on how dry t is, You might trim a very small amount off the bottom.

olivegirl

I mostly use dried garlic. I like its scent.

It is also very useful. It heals and prevents infections and many viral or bacterial borne illnesses, and it promotes proper blood circulation and heals or prevents circulation problems such as high blood pressure, strokes, and heart attacks. It also has strong anti-inflammatory properties.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I mostly use dried garlic. I like its scent.

It is also very useful. It heals and prevents infections and many viral or bacterial borne illnesses, and it promotes proper blood circulation and heals or prevents circulation problems such as high blood pressure, strokes, and heart attacks. It also has strong anti-inflammatory properties.
Garlic also reduces your chance for colon cancer by about 40%. A diet with lots of garlic and onions is recommended to achieve best results.