• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The VA and Hearing Aids

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
A friend of mine, who is associated with the VFW, told me yesterday that the VA had changed it's policy concerning hearing aids. The old policy was in order to get them you needed to associate the hearing loss with being service related and qualifying for a 10% service related disability. This was confirmed to me last year in talking with the local VA hospital.

Now, a 10% disability is not required for hearing aids. This was related to me today in talking with the VA Audiology Department at the VA hospital in White River Jct., VT.

Wish me luck as I have a hearing exam with them next Monday. Pray things work out as I can really use them. I'm deafer then a freaking haddock. :yum: Way too much flight deck time as a green shirt skittle back in the day.

This is great news for many veterans. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Hopefully, not on my lack of progress. :biggrin:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
****UPDATE****

Well, great news! As I suspected, I am deafer then a Haddock. I easily qualified for hearing aids. The ear doctor fitted me for the Resound hearing aids. The VA only issues top of the line ones so I get ones with the Tinittis sound filtering, bluetooth and TV adapter and smartphone compatibility so the volume can me adjusted as well as ON/Off switch and other features too much to mention here.

I urge all veterans here that have hearing issues to visit your local VA and have your hearing checked. This is a great service to all veterans. You earned it, this is not an entitlement like some like to call it. :biggrin:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is great news. I'll be calling tomorrow and trying to set up an appt. I've procrastinated on this way to long and to hear the VA can now help is AWESOME!!!!!!
THANKS TR!!!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
That is great news. I'll be calling tomorrow and trying to set up an appt. I've procrastinated on this way to long and to hear the VA can now help is AWESOME!!!!!!
THANKS TR!!!!!

By all means, CALL!! I could not believe how easy and straight forward it was. Not even any Co-Pays. They even supply all the batteries.

If you also have Tinnitus, be sure to tell them that. You will get hearing aids that have white noise tinnitus cancelling.

Next up, getting that handicap license plate for the Tinnitus. :yum::yum::yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
So can you hear any better now TR?

Today was the hearing test and determination of what I needed. They are currently ordered and will come in on May 4. I sure hope I can hear better, because I couldn't hear much worse.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I have had two sets of them.....you will be amazed at what they will do.....the TV thing is great...and mine are set up so I can control them with or without the compilot.......just in case I forget to grab it when leaving the house....I was rated at 75% disability when checked in 05.......one thing to consider......I find that if I don't wear them...or turn them off....I stay a lot happier ......cant hear what folks say about me!!@!:whistling:

Hope ya enjoy them!!!!

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I need a new set and am headed for the local VA Audiology clinic tomorrow; it's a walk-in. I'll report back afterward.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll have to check if we have a local audiology VA here. I doubt it. I know of one that is 100 miles from me. Just bring my dd-214 I'm guessing. Does one need anything else?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll have to check if we have a local audiology VA here. I doubt it. I know of one that is 100 miles from me. Just bring my dd-214 I'm guessing. Does one need anything else?

You need to get into the system, so your DD-214 should do it. Some paper work and you should be good to go.

Make sure you have them get you a VA card. They will say you do not need one anymore, but the card will get you discounts at various retail establishments.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not tryin to "rain on anyone's parade", but,..... I really don't understand WHY the V.A. should provide hearing aides for anyone UNLESS the hearing loss was SERVICE CONNECTED.

Meanwhile, Viet Nam combat vets ARE being denied cancer treatments and disability ratings even after presumptive exposure to agent orange.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The VA will provide eyeglasses and hearing aids to veterans who meet the following criteria:

-Veterans with any compensable service-connected disability.
-Former Prisoners of War.
-Purple Heart recipients.
-Veterans getting benefits benefits under Title 38 United States Code.
-Veterans who are qualified for an increased pension based on being permanently housebound and in need of regular aid and attendance.
-Veterans with vision or hearing impairment resulting from diseases or the existence of another medical condition for which the veteran is receiving care or services from VHA, or which resulted from treatment of that medical condition, e.g., stroke, polytrauma, traumatic brain injury, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, vascular disease, geriatric chronic illnesses, toxicity from drugs, ocular photosensitivity from drugs, cataract surgery, and/or other surgeries performed on the eye, ear, or brain resulting in vision or hearing impairment.
-Veterans with significant functional or cognitive impairment evidenced by deficiencies in the ability to perform activities of daily living.

Those who have vision and/or hearing impairment severe enough that it interferes with their ability to participate actively in their own medical treatment and to reduce the impact of dual sensory impairment (combined hearing and vision loss).
NOTE: The term "severe" refers to a vision and/or hearing loss that interferes with or restricts access to, involvement in, or active participation in health care services (e.g., communication or reading medication labels). The term is not to be interpreted to mean that a severe hearing or vision loss must exist to be eligible for hearing aids or eyeglasses.
Those veterans who have service-connected vision disabilities rated zero percent or service-connected hearing disabilities rated zero percent if there is organic conductive, mixed, or sensory hearing impairment, and loss of pure tone hearing sensitivity in the low, mid, or high-frequency range or a combination of frequency ranges which contribute to a loss of communication ability; however, hearing aids are to be provided only as needed for the service-connected hearing disability.

Veterans meeting the eligibility requirements to receive health care are eligible for diagnostic audiology services and eye & vision care services. Veterans cannot be denied access to audiology services and/or eye & vision care services covered by the Medical Benefits Package even if they do not meet the eligibility criteria for hearing aids and/or eye glasses.
http://www.military.com/benefits/veterans-health-care/va-provided-hearing-and-vision-benefits.html

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not tryin to "rain on anyone's parade", but,..... I really don't understand WHY the V.A. should provide hearing aides for anyone UNLESS the hearing loss was SERVICE CONNECTED.

Meanwhile, Viet Nam combat vets ARE being denied cancer treatments and disability ratings even after presumptive exposure to agent orange.

For some reason the policy toward hearing aids seems to have changed within the VA system within the past year. I have been told this personally by the VA and by other veterans. I have so far found nothing on the internet in documentation to support this in writing. I just know what I have been told. Everyone has their views, but I hung my hat on what the VA told me personally.

Why the requirements "seemed" to have changed, I have not idea. Where the money came from, that I have no idea as well. Maybe someone was doing their job and decided it was more important to give vets more benefits then giving Egypt more free F-16 jets and M1 tanks. I don't know.

Every vet should have 100% health care throughout their lives. Personnaly I do not take full advantage of what the VA has to offer, perferring to see my family doctor through Medicare which I paid for since 1966.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
TirdRetired, that's exactly my point, I don't begrudge anyone getting medical help.

but,..... the VA does seem to make arbitrary decisions,

I also do not use the VA, even tho I am eligible to, after they DENIED my disability claim.

thanks for your service

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, I do qualify for hearing aids (no surprise there) but it will be another couple of weeks to complete processing; my
right ear has a wax blockage that needs to be removed so I've been referred to their EENT for a thorough cleaning. After
that it's back to Audiology.

[As an aside, I agree that the VA should really only be treating retirees and vets with service-connected problems. Of course
that it a bit self-serving, as I qualify under both criteria. :whistling: Between the 3"-50 naval gunfire I was only a dozen feet from,
plus the assorted combat noise, there is no doubt that there is a service connection with my hearing loss.]

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I qualify under the close proximity to naval gunfire. I'm not a retiree but I called yesterday, and now I have to file a claim with my local office that does not have an audiology dept. Then they will refer to me to office about 100 miles away. Don't know if they'll fix me up or not but it's worth a shot.

Leni

Go for it guys. You deserve everything you get and more. My husband is a vet but the only thing that he has used so far is a VA loan.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Okay, I do qualify for hearing aids (no surprise there) but it will be another couple of weeks to complete processing; my
right ear has a wax blockage that needs to be removed so I've been referred to their EENT for a thorough cleaning. After
that it's back to Audiology.

[As an aside, I agree that the VA should really only be treating retirees and vets with service-connected problems. Of course
that it a bit self-serving, as I qualify under both criteria. :whistling: Between the 3"-50 naval gunfire I was only a dozen feet from,
plus the assorted combat noise, there is no doubt that there is a service connection with my hearing loss.]

Service records tell the story. 3" naval guns and combat for you, flight deck time, machinery room time and 155mm SP Artillery guns in the Guards for me. It's not like we had Yoeman duty sitting behind a typewriter all day. Nothing wrong with that duty, but that is not what we did. :biggrin:

I qualify under the close proximity to naval gunfire. I'm not a retiree but I called yesterday, and now I have to file a claim with my local office that does not have an audiology dept. Then they will refer to me to office about 100 miles away. Don't know if they'll fix me up or not but it's worth a shot.

You have got the ball rolling. Good for you. I am not a retiree either but you do not have to be. Your records speak for themselves.

Go for it guys. You deserve everything you get and more. My husband is a vet but the only thing that he has used so far is a VA loan.

Thank you.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
The VA and Hearing Aids -- Update

I went to the VA's ENT clinic and got had the wax buildup hydraulically removed; not the most pleasant thing that has
been done to me, but at least it didn't take long. After that back to audiology where testing revealed (Surprise!) that I
have hearing loss in both ears, the right being noticeably worse. As that is the side most exposed to the sound when
firing small arms there was no real surprise there, either.

What was a bit of a surprise was what came next. She (the doc) measured carefully to make sure she ordered the right
length tube and the correct size "button" that goes into my ears; the civilian docs never did that. The new instruments
will be in late next week, but I won't actually get them until May 20th. That was her next available appointment, as she
will not let a veteran walk out the door with new aids that she has not personally fitted to be sure that there are no problems
that could render them less than optimally useful! Another thing that the civilian docs didn't do.

I have been quite impressed with the entire procedure at the local VA hospital. There have been problems with the place in
the past but they appear to be working hard to make it a bastion of excellence now and in the future.

I'll update again after my appointment on the 20th.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I get my hearing aids on May 4. I will update then with more info.

I had exactly the same experience as DS at the VA. Very professional. I cannot compare with private sector ear doctors as I have only had my hearing checked at nuke plants and that was for CYA purposes at the time of hire along with the complete physical, not for hearing aids.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, here's the update.

I got my hearing aids today. Spent the morning at the VA with the Audiologist and went through everything. They are awesome. They work great and I can hear much better. The Tinnitus filter seems to help a lot as well and that is a big bonus. All in all I feel very fortunate to get these hearing aids that would otherwise have cost thousands.

Good luck to everyone.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats. Sounds perfect. Glad they are working good for you and extra glad that you shared the info here. I'm getting a case open, long slow drawn out process ... but I'll get there. Thanks!!! :tiphat:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
What brand are they TR?

ReSound Linx2 with the TV streaming device that basically turns the hearing aids in mini headphones. Took me about two hours to get that gizmo working as I am stupid and won't look at the instruction booklet until I finally give up trying it on my own. :w00t2:

They even set it all up on my smartphone so I can adjust the volume and background noise filters like in a restaurant. All in all a hell of a product.

http://www.resound.com/en-US/hearing-aids/resound-linx2#anchor1

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

If you're a veteran chances are pretty darn good that any hearing loss IS service connected. I've been there and done that...

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
If you're a veteran chances are pretty darn good that any hearing loss IS service connected. I've been there and done that...

Actually, as a retired veteran, I can assure you, that if you had used the the provided and required hearing protection then you, more than likely wouldn't have this "service connected" problem.

if you failed to follow the hearing protection regulations, then, who is at fault?

My hearing was tested annually while I was on active duty.