• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sno(w) cat serenade, march 10-16, 2021

funtracks

Found this video from yesterday too. Kind of reminds me of the pied piper story, all the snowcats following the leader. The pied piper has initials of PP, any coincidence? Thanks to PP (Pontoon Princess) and everyone at the gathering, an absolutely great group of people, so generous and friendly!

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Glenn Miller arrived in Sun Valley long before anyone had heard of Warren Miller, and the Sun Valley Serenade long before anyone had heard of the SV Snowcat Serenade, but we certainly tried to up hold the long standing tradition of great times had in Sun Valley. A heap of appreciation and thanks to our hostess, PP, for organizing, feeding, and entertaining us at the SVS 2021. Thanks to Sun Valley for, well, being Sun Valley. And thanks to Mother Nature for about as close as you can get to heaven on earth.

Last edited:

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
And a few of my favorite pics.
Day 1
20210311_121210.jpg

20210311_101749.jpg

20210311_101442.jpg
20210311_104705.jpg
20210311_105158.jpg
20210311_115825.jpg

20210311_140353.jpg
20210311_140519.jpg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
SV 2021 was an epic experience. I can’t begin to appreciate the amount of planning and coordination to pull off such an event... and it was flawless; which confirms the thoroughness of the planning and choreograhy PP did. Though there are some great pictures on this thread, the reality is that as good as they are - they just don’t convey the totality of the spectacular scenery, nor the “quality” of the folks that came. In my opinion a big part of life is about creating memories, and when I’m old, feeble and infirm I will remember SV 2021 as a truly special time. It was great to renew friendships made last year, and make some new ones this year as well. I sincerely thank everyone who came, a special shout-out to 1BG and Brandt for the rides they took us on. But really it is PP who absolutely deserves the credit. All of us who participated are indebted to her.

IMG_0664.jpeg

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg

Sno-Surfer

inhale...exhale....
Well folks, as most probably know by now the Sno-Surfer family had an unfortunate event on our way to SVS2020. The family is just fine although a little shook up, but cat didn't make it to the event. I lost control of the trailer and it flipped on the side of the hwy. I don't want to mess up this awesome thread with pictures of the carnage but needless to say it was gut wrenching to see it.
The overwhelming relief that we were all just fine and the support and major (and I mean major) help from the catting community, we decided to go on to the event and we are real glad we did. Although we didn't get to socialize as much as we wanted, we sure had a great time, we really did. My crew loves the SV life. It was our first real vacation since last years abrupt shut down.
The day we came out with the catters on the east side of Baker creek was just what we needed. What a day. It really couldn't have been better given the circumstances and was certainly the group I needed to be around at a time like this. Thanks all for letting us hitch rides and tag along and for not pummeling me with snowballs.
I've told many people about how this catting idea has turned out beyond my wildest dreams. Starting with a wild hair idea to buy a vw powered cat and having no idea if I could even use it around here to going to cat gatherings in SV, Mccall, Timberline, campouts, local gets togethers, volunteering for the forest service and helping out our local search and rescue group whenever needed. Who knew there was this secret society of madd catters? I'm not sure there was one but there is now and if you know, you know, they are some of the best people I have met. Just an amazing, interesting, generous, fun group to be a part of. To spend a day out with this group anywhere is like a weird, wild dream come true. Who could have guessed we'd be having an amazing lunch way up in the Sawtooths in perfect weather with a bunch of other madd catters?! I'm still in disbelief how dreams I didn't know I had, have evolved into a reality.
So from the Sno-Surfer family, we cannot thank Pontoon Princess enough for all the effort and organization to put this event on. I know it's no easy task to herd cats but she has pulled off things that leaves my head spinning (and spinning). Miracle worker, dream maker, nothing is impossible, get'er done attitude is so inspiring to me and we all have benefitted so much from her, a simple thank you will never be enough.
I also want to throw a huge shout out to the help and offers of help over the weekend to deal with the cat as it made all the difference on the drive home with the family. Gmoose, thanks for offering to help, no idea how much I appreciate that. 1Boringuy, thank you for taking this to your yard for further dismantling. Sno-Drifter and PP, well, there's nothing I can say that will show my appreciation to you both for everything you have done for me, it's pure generosity like I've never experienced and I'm not sure how I will ever be able to repay you both.

The Sno-Surfer family isn't done catting. There wasn't a minute where I thought about hanging it up but also didn't know how long/how much it was going to take to replace it. I was mentally cancelling all the spring plans I had (and by the way, it's epic catting around here right now). But there might be some miracles happening so stay tuned....
There's really a lot more to say but I think I'll finish this and post some of the happy pictures from the weekend. We really did have a great time and looking forward to next year already.

And thanks to It's all about downhill for skiing with us. My poor kids were taught to ski by a snowboarder and I know it shows! The tech tips were really well received and exactly what I can't teach them. They all talked about it on the way home and said it was very helpful. We will remember skiing SV with you and Bonnie always, it was a great day.

tempImage3pVQ8q.png
tempImageSAJBWl.png
tempImagedFssoX.png
tempImagewDSdeD.png
82AC2477-7137-4109-9CA8-B67E6E27CFF6.jpeg
tempImageDUg5PF.png
tempImageSvIsvU.png
tempImageUtm9rk.png
tempImageAp1XJ3.png

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I am a little late to the party, but I wanted to throw the Gmoose clans thanks in the ring with the others that have been posted here for Pontoon Princess. The three of us had an incredibly great time, PP put on an epic event. The areas and trails were great, each one had its high point (not just in elevation either). The generosity PP threw at us each day was over the top. For those not attending, this is just a bit of what she provided us for free: first - an incredible snowcatting adventure each day, I can't even imagine the months of work this took to arrange; second - a free hot meal up on the mountain each day (plus Twinkies for desert a couple of days); third - she bought those who attended dinner at one of the Sun Valley Lodge restaurants, on I believe day three; fourth - covered bar taps; fifth - purchased and provided the trail use registration stickers for all out of state attendees. I am sure there are even more, but this gives you an idea of what she did for us. This outlay of time, effort, and resources was obvious and very much appreciated by us and all I spoke to. The only thanks and reimbursement I saw that she wanted was for all of us mad catters to have a good time, which everyone of us did indeed.

So from the Gmoose clan (me, Miss G, and Gmoose Jr), and I am sure everyone else who attended, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

IMG_20210314_123644671_HDR.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
thank you everyone for all the kind words,

truth is, there were many many others that stepped up and were very generous with their time and money from buying dinner and drinks, to giving refuse to a stranded cat, I find, being kind and thoughtful of others is contagious and it really shows with this group, I am so very grateful for everyones help and support of our event, Yes, our event, I just picked up the flag and others led the way, from trek masters for each days adventures into the mountains, to shipping in the really cool ruck sack/computer bags to me in sun valley, help with the trail food/lunches, yes, twinkles are a staple of good nutrition, and without everyone else pitching in and helping, I know the snow cat serenade would not have been such a success, lots of smiles, new friends and a really good time, also, with every cat making it back under it's own power each day to the safety of it's trailer, that is impressive, thank you, thank you, thank you...

the photos are wonderful, they only begin to show and tell just how unbelievable the vistas are and beautiful the backcountry is, really need to be there to see for yourself.

it does take a gathering of old grousers to have fun, you are all wonderful and great folks, and thank you to each and everyone for making this years event, the greatest show on snow.

thank you PP

Last edited:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ummmm, there's a very important part of this story that hasn't been told yet . . . (rocket sled racing . . .)

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Ummmm, there's a very important part of this story that hasn't been told yet . . . (rocket sled racing . . .)
ah, cuz of the very unfortunate accident involving sno surfer and his family, it seemed very inappropriate to conduct a speed contest, as, a couple of the drivers of the rocket sleds, were sno surfer and his son, kept my rocket sled under lock and key, we will be firing up the rockets next year, found the prefect location for the contest...

The Yehti

Surfer , your not the only one who's had this same tragic event happen to you ... I feel your pain and will share my pics and hopefully a beverage with you some day . I never even got to drive mine when the inevitable happened to me also . Others from the Midwest Cat clan know what I'm talking about- I escaped without injury and that's how my cat story began . Chin up and grousers down friend ?
inhale...exhale....
Well folks, as most probably know by now the Sno-Surfer family had an unfortunate event on our way to SVS2020. The family is just fine although a little shook up, but cat didn't make it to the event. I lost control of the trailer and it flipped on the side of the hwy. I don't want to mess up this awesome thread with pictures of the carnage but needless to say it was gut wrenching to see it.
The overwhelming relief that we were all just fine and the support and major (and I mean major) help from the catting community, we decided to go on to the event and we are real glad we did. Although we didn't get to socialize as much as we wanted, we sure had a great time, we really did. My crew loves the SV life. It was our first real vacation since last years abrupt shut down.
The day we came out with the catters on the east side of Baker creek was just what we needed. What a day. It really couldn't have been better given the circumstances and was certainly the group I needed to be around at a time like this. Thanks all for letting us hitch rides and tag along and for not pummeling me with snowballs.
I've told many people about how this catting idea has turned out beyond my wildest dreams. Starting with a wild hair idea to buy a vw powered cat and having no idea if I could even use it around here to going to cat gatherings in SV, Mccall, Timberline, campouts, local gets togethers, volunteering for the forest service and helping out our local search and rescue group whenever needed. Who knew there was this secret society of madd catters? I'm not sure there was one but there is now and if you know, you know, they are some of the best people I have met. Just an amazing, interesting, generous, fun group to be a part of. To spend a day out with this group anywhere is like a weird, wild dream come true. Who could have guessed we'd be having an amazing lunch way up in the Sawtooths in perfect weather with a bunch of other madd catters?! I'm still in disbelief how dreams I didn't know I had, have evolved into a reality.
So from the Sno-Surfer family, we cannot thank Pontoon Princess enough for all the effort and organization to put this event on. I know it's no easy task to herd cats but she has pulled off things that leaves my head spinning (and spinning). Miracle worker, dream maker, nothing is impossible, get'er done attitude is so inspiring to me and we all have benefitted so much from her, a simple thank you will never be enough.
I also want to throw a huge shout out to the help and offers of help over the weekend to deal with the cat as it made all the difference on the drive home with the family. Gmoose, thanks for offering to help, no idea how much I appreciate that. 1Boringuy, thank you for taking this to your yard for further dismantling. Sno-Drifter and PP, well, there's nothing I can say that will show my appreciation to you both for everything you have done for me, it's pure generosity like I've never experienced and I'm not sure how I will ever be able to repay you both.

The Sno-Surfer family isn't done catting. There wasn't a minute where I thought about hanging it up but also didn't know how long/how much it was going to take to replace it. I was mentally cancelling all the spring plans I had (and by the way, it's epic catting around here right now). But there might be some miracles happening so stay tuned....
There's really a lot more to say but I think I'll finish this and post some of the happy pictures from the weekend. We really did have a great time and looking forward to next year already.

And thanks to It's all about downhill for skiing with us. My poor kids were taught to ski by a snowboarder and I know it shows! The tech tips were really well received and exactly what I can't teach them. They all talked about it on the way home and said it was very helpful. We will remember skiing SV with you and Bonnie always, it was a great day.

View attachment 135989View attachment 135988View attachment 135987View attachment 135986View attachment 135985View attachment 135984View attachment 135991View attachment 135992View attachment 135993