• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"Ryobi Days" sales . . . I know there are better tools but damn

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Years ago, when battery tools were starting to come out I bought some Milwaukee and some Ryobi tools.

The Milwaukee was a 9.6volt drill, the battery was a cylinder and the tool was rock solid. Not sure what the Ryobi tool was, but it was an 18volt, might have been a knock off Sawsall that I still have.

In any case the Milwaukee battery changed and that drill, while still great, became obsolete. The Ryobi battery was crap but the tool still worked so I ended up buying a Ryobi set, with 2 batteries and a drill.

Over the years the Ryobi batteries actually became pretty good. Yes, I know there are better tools, but for someone who uses them at a hobby level I've only destroyed 1 of the Ryobi tools and that was a drill. I have 2 others, the old blue versions, not the new green ones. I've still got that old Ryobi sawsall too and an old circular saw. And two old blue Ryobi sanders. Plus a bunch of their new stuff in the bright green, not sure if it is better but it is now bright green instead of blue. In addition to some new tools I've also got Ryobi radios, multiple flood lights and some battery powered fans too.

Home Depot is running deals this month. Buy 2 batteries get a tool free. So for $200 I bought 4 batteries, got 2 new chargers and a 10" orbital buffer + a new circular saw as my "free" tools.

Had Milwaukee not obsoleted their battery design I'd probably own an entire shelf of Milwaukee tools.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 12v hex driver, an 18v 3/8 drill and an 18V hex impact driver all cordless and Milwaukee brand. The neat part is the charger that came with drill also has a port for the 12v battery. Only need one charger hanging on the wall. I also have a 1/2" corded Milwaukee Hole Shooter drill that will wind me up if the bit hangs up. I also have an old craftsman 20v drill and one of the batts went bad so now it stays in the camper to run the stabilizer jacks up and down.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think with any of these brands we get married to the battery and charging system. Once you are invested in the batteries you end up with the tool brand.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had the same story, only the names are changed. Bosch and Porter Cable.

Porter Cabel c hanged their battery from 18V to something else 24V I think. I bought the last two 18V off the shelf but now they are shot.

Lucky on the Bosch because my pawn shop buddy had two sets drill and battery for $60. That was sometime ago and I'm' down to two batteries and three chargers. The three drills are all fine and I believe the Bosch has the best torque. But soon, I'll need to replace.

Seems a shame to see those fine tools idle because the MFG's changed the battery voltage and connections. Seems an after market opportunity for some entrepreneur.

I've been buying cheap Harbor Freight drills for $20 bucks. Those I don't mind tossing when they fail. Besides, they haven't changed the battery for 15 or more years. They work fine for most stuff and the Bosch is there for the tough part of the job.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A few weeks ago, someone stole my Bosch drill, some batteries and the chargers. I still have two drills, one battery, but no charger. I hate the new versions so here I am with leftovers, a drill, a Saw, and a light. So, I decided to look at all new sets of something.

The new Bosch are compact and the batteries are different. So, I am open to suggestions.

I cannot believe what these things cost today. However, as I was leaving Home Depot, they had a closeout on Ryobi. Two drills, one charger, two batteries, a saws-all, a circular saw and a spotlight, all for $189. Not my favorite brand but damn,,,

So, I bought it.

Stopped by Lowes for some deck screws. Had to get some T20's and T25 drivers. Low and behold out of the corner of my eye I see,, ,the ancient Bosch 18V battery and charger was on clearance sale for $89.00 Normally $129 if they had 'em. They had just one.

So, I bought it.
Now I have the Bosch drills for my home shop, Chargers and batteries. All along with some cheap Swingline drills from Harbor freight, and a complete Ryobi set for Hippie Ridge.

I'm set.

Spent the afternoon working on the new deck with plenty of tools and batteries for a change.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife gave me some Ryobi tools for Father's Day. She said she knew I "liked" them.

The reality is I like compatibility.

So like you, I have tools that use common batteries.

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
A few weeks ago, someone stole my Bosch drill, some batteries and the chargers. I still have two drills, one battery, but no charger. I hate the new versions so here I am with leftovers, a drill, a Saw, and a light. So, I decided to look at all new sets of something.

The new Bosch are compact and the batteries are different. So, I am open to suggestions.

I cannot believe what these things cost today. However, as I was leaving Home Depot, they had a closeout on Ryobi. Two drills, one charger, two batteries, a saws-all, a circular saw and a spotlight, all for $189. Not my favorite brand but damn,,,

So, I bought it.

Stopped by Lowes for some deck screws. Had to get some T20's and T25 drivers. Low and behold out of the corner of my eye I see,, ,the ancient Bosch 18V battery and charger was on clearance sale for $89.00 Normally $129 if they had 'em. They had just one.

So, I bought it.
Now I have the Bosch drills for my home shop, Chargers and batteries. All along with some cheap Swingline drills from Harbor freight, and a complete Ryobi set for Hippie Ridge.

I'm set.

Spent the afternoon working on the new deck with plenty of tools and batteries for a change.
I have an extra Bosch charger - if you want it, it’s yours…

FF757BB8-3681-4573-8399-A721B62DBA5E.jpeg

Gary O'

Years ago, when battery tools were starting to come out I bought some Milwaukee and some Ryobi tools.

The Milwaukee was a 9.6volt drill, the battery was a cylinder and the tool was rock solid. Not sure what the Ryobi tool was, but it was an 18volt, might have been a knock off Sawsall that I still have.

In any case the Milwaukee battery changed and that drill, while still great, became obsolete. The Ryobi battery was crap but the tool still worked so I ended up buying a Ryobi set, with 2 batteries and a drill.

Over the years the Ryobi batteries actually became pretty good. Yes, I know there are better tools, but for someone who uses them at a hobby level I've only destroyed 1 of the Ryobi tools and that was a drill. I have 2 others, the old blue versions, not the new green ones.
When building our cabins, back in 2010, I finally shed myself of corded drills.
Couldn't imagine dragging long ass cords from pillar to post up there.
Bought a used DeWalt out of a 2nd hand tool shop.
Pretty tough drill (dropped from a roof several times)

Finally, one of the batteries crapped out
Can't work with one bat, especially off a generator

Shopped around
Home Dopey had a sale on a Ryobi package
only.....the bats were not included

UDQsmFc.jpg

Those two Ryobi drills built two cabins, a shop, and a few other outbuildings
aaaand a few hundred avian abodes, along with a few thousand bucks of live edge furniture.
I can't seem to kill 'em

drills.jpg

One bat did give up the ghost a few months ago

The happy ending is, the bats that fit these little sweethearts are still available

bats.jpg

Here's the new one

bats2.jpg

No Ryobi is not the best
But it beats anything Horrible Freight has

They seem to hold their weight at mid-grade

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No Ryobi is not the best
. . .
They seem to hold their weight at mid-grade
I probably own 15 different Ryobil 18 volt tools at this point.

I killed 1 of their drill drivers in less than 6 months. But I have 3 others never have given me any pause, and 2 of those are probably 15 years old?!?

I also killed an orbital palm sander. That was another 10-15 year old tool that was used hard.

The batteries can be purchased on sale and the newer batteries are actually very good, long lasting.

Facebook Marketplace is also a good place to get good deals on Ryobi tools.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Last few years I've standardized to the milwaukie M12. Partly from the variety of tools available. Now that I'm retired, and not needing the tools up on a tower I'll see how it goes. I did make a set of corded adapters that use the vehicle power. That has proven handy as well. For some reason my ryobi purchases haven't worked out so well. but all were corded hammer drills. the replacement bosch hasn't given any issues for several years of setting concrete anchors.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last few years I've standardized to the milwaukie M12. . . .
I think we "marry" a brand because we get invested in their proprietary battery. Most of the brands are good enough, some are heavier duty, some less so. But once we collect enough of one type of battery it seems like that brand takes over the tool chest simply because the tools all work off the same batteries.