• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Retired

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom and I retired 4-5 years ago.
She now travels around 120 days/year. I'm more of a homebody and only do about 30-40 days/year.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've worked harder in the last month than I can recall. Working on the warehouse I bought. I was worried I'd have nothing to do in retirement.
Fred guys like you are not like that. Your life's work is much too big of a book, and you're just starting the final chapters. May you write the longer ones of your life enjoying those my Friend....

Ross 650

Site Supporter
I also had enough travel when I was working. I covered jobs in most of the states. I would leave the office on Monday with 5 jobs in 5 states. I also lived a year in Tennessee, a year in Ohio, 2 years in Oklahoma, and a year in Saudi. I am glad the work travel is over. Now days I consider a trip of 50 miles to be a biggun!!!! Have a goodun!!!!

chowderman

1980 - 2020 I worked for several internationals - did 3-5 overseas trips per year - each 2-5 weeks at a clip. Nordic area thru the Mediterranean to Morocco...
plus domestic travel to facilities in California, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, Georgia, Kentucky, New York (state), Iowa, Penna, Connecticut, sheesh I'm sure I missed something. when you have a five year passport and need extensions for all the stamping . . . you're traveling too much.

and I have not seen everything I wanted to see.... doing Europe, I had weekends/etc free to wander around. but I still have a bucket list for France, Austria, Germany, UK . . . we were setting up to do a bucket list tour but covid put an end to that.
I stayed three days in Chartres, France, and stupidly did not visit the cathedral.... I was in Turin the year the shroud was on display, and did not go . . . sometimes one is simply so exhausted, a dang good nap is the preferred option.

the domestic US travels were always on a much tighter schedule - and much more miserable.
there is no excitement left about 'taking a plane ride' or 'staying at a nice hotel' - that is the WHY. been there too much, done way more, no real ambition.
except for stuff like a train ride up the west coast thru Canada to Alaska and go talk to some whales. that I would still do.
Yellowstone is still on my bucket list . . .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We're going a little off topic here but what the heck, this is part of the conversation.
How many flights have you been on in your life? If a one-way flight to your destination had a layover, that counts as 2 flights.
The guess for myself is in the 600 range.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

For over 10 years I worked internationally for a major oil company out of Dallas. I worked in South America in Venezuela and Peru. I worked in West Africa in Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea and visited the Cameroons and Ghana. I worked in Egypt. I was born in Scotland and lived in England. I have traveled to most but not all of the countries in Europe. I have been to Japan, Singapore and Malasia several times. I have also been to Australia and Canada more than once. I'm sure that I have forgotten a couple of places. And that's just internationally. There's a mess of domestic flights in there too.

When I was young it used to be fun and it was relatively safe to go wandering all over the globe but the world is a very different place nowadays. It's a very dangerous place out there and travel anywhere is just a hassle even domestically in the US and it is a total pain in the ass when you travel internationally now. There's no romance or excitement about sitting in an airport or getting on a plane.

As to how many flights I've been on I honestly can't say. It must be around 500 or so and that's not counting the puddle jumpers and helicopters.

Last edited:

Gunsrus

For over 10 years I worked internationally for a major oil company out of Dallas. I worked in South America in Venezuela and Peru. I worked in West Africa in Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea and visited the Cameroons and Ghana. I worked in Egypt. I was born in Scotland and lived in England. I have traveled to most but not all of the countries in Europe. I have been to Japan, Singapore and Malasia several times. I have also been to Australia and Canada more than once. I'm sure that I have forgotten a couple of places. And that's just internationally. There's a mess of domestic flights in there too.

When I was young it used to be fun and it was relatively safe to go wandering all over the globe but the world is a very different place nowadays. It's a very dangerous place out there and travel anywhere is just a hassle even domestically in the US and it is a total pain in the ass when you travel internationally now. There's no romance or excitement about sitting in an airport or getting on a plane.

As to how many flights I've been on I honestly can't say. It must be around 500 or so and that's not counting the puddle jumpers and helicopters.
A very admirable résumé of your life experience. I'm sure someone as well traveled as you has seen and done many things. No doubt you built up a lot of endurance over the years.

I myself have been to Paris to attend a family friend's wedding, been to Mexico to see my uncle and attend a conference on architecture of his in Mexico City. I've been to the Costa Brava on Holiday and explored castle ruins, studied in Barcelona and enjoyed wrestling and sci-fi events in Wembley and Manchester.

FTG-05

OIP.XOARQFIvAjWAG24Ulcgf-wHaEf

kc3tec

I retired at 57 due to health issues, and im glad i did.
All of the production management in the factory were in competition to see who could be the most inept, obnoxious abusive d!(ks they could be.
If i hadn't retired i would probably be in jail.
Us old veterans will only take so much shit before we start "energetic negotiations" and leaving a few broken bones behind .

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Retirement????

My big white Dodge one ton is down. So this weekend's plans for Hippie Ridge change a bit.
I can't haul the two door sets in the minivan but I can get 6 bales of insulation on board. The walls get done as does the framing for those doors.
Anytime left, I hope to move 24 tons of ballast rock to shore up the cabin foundation.

Crumpy wants to use blue painter's tape to lay out a floor plan ala "Les Nessman" walls. (remember? WKRP in Cincinati). That'll put a Quasi reality to her plans. And unlike real studs, she can easily change her mind.

So far,,,,
Retirement doesn't seem to change life all that much

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
At the vets with our oldest dog as we discovered a large lump on her neck a few days ago. Could be either a cyst or a tumor.

I worked for the railroad for 41 years. I retired in 2017 and moved from Washington State to Idaho for less people. I did not define myself by what I did for a living so there was no transition really, I hit the ground running once I was free. I used to work on call and mostly nights, now I won’t do anything at night. Now it’s motorcycle riding, flying my small Cessna and projects galore. I’m happier now than when I was 20. Oh yeah and the Bombardier Project.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm 45 and in forced retirement due to a serious motorcycle accident in 2015. I have a guaranteed pension which is a combination of my long-term work benefits and the government disability. It's not quite as much as when I was working but it's guaranteed. When covid hit, we were alright as my income didn't change one bit and my wife is a government worker who does the Canadian version of the IRS. So she wasn't affected at all as the government still wants their money.

Prior to my injuries, I was a social worker working with foster children for 7 years. Prior to that, I worked in a plywood mill for 10 years and before that, I was working with people with disabilities for 7 years. The mill job was basically a stress relief making more money than the job working with the disabled.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Enjoy your retirement. You will get used to it and start to really enjoy it. I am 83 and have been living on S.S. for 21 years now. When I was employed I was a quality control inspector. I was representing the oil companies and engineering firms. I was sent to many states and countries. I prefer sitting on the porch and watching wild life pass by. I live with 3 dogs and we get along really good. Much better than the wives I had. Have a goodun!!!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's been an adjustment to be sure. Very hard to accept forced retirement at 45. So now, the kids head off to school, the wife heads to work. (She works from home) and I do whatever I feel like. With 5 kids, that meant running a taxi service to and from the school to both the dentist and orthodontist. And squeezing in my appointments. We live rural in a small village about a 15 minute drive from a city of 115000 people. Kind of the best of both worlds. Access to everything but peace and quiet at home. With kids it means a lot of driving as their school is at one end of the city and the dentist and orthodontist are opposite side.

But it leaves me time for other projects. So I'm involved in a few other things throughout the winter to keep busy. Mostly volunteer as any money I make would have to be reported.

Tech011

Congrats on the purchase of your home! It's amazing that you own repair-and-renovate house, garage and a pole barn that sits on two acres within a vacation rental zone. Steel structures are great for storage of your possessions as well as renting the extra space seems like an excellent possibility. Best of luck in all the tasks ahead!