• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Refrigerator Shopping

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just starting to look at refrigerators as we are at the beginning of a total kitchen remodel. I've put this off as long as I could but last year I bought an excavator and then last month I ran into a deal on a 2015 RTV x1100c that I could not pass up. So my dear wife is tapping her foot saying it's time to redo her kitchen. Okay. I said uncle.. Lets get er done.

So we met with a kitchen designer and having the new design drawn up, and while in a local Lowes for plumbing supplies we started looking at refrigerators. Wow have they ever gone up.

Our current one is a side by side and I like that. Dear Wife is thinking of going to the freezer on bottom and double door refrigerator on top. But with an ice maker you have to have that up near the top and the one I looked at did not seem to have an ice bin I could easily take out to fill my cooler once in awhile. A major draw back.

I know nothing about these new ones. Ours is 22 years old and going strong. Which is better or is there a difference for side by side freezer fridge or freezer on bottom and frig on top? Do you gain space with either design? I can't imagine you do since the overall box is the same size.

Thoughts on makes models etc appreciated.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
We just got a Samsung side by side with the freezer in the bottom and a BEER DRAWER in the middle. Needless to say, best purchase ever. Oh, you can also remove the ice bin from the icemaker to load up your cooler. I think we paid about 2k during a July 4th sale.

20201023_130210.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh no! I get the cold sweats when someone mentions "kitchen remodel". 18 months ago my wife wanted a kitchen remodel that she said would take 3 weeks. Three months later that "remodel" had turned in to a whole, inside the house "refresh" and I was living in the motorhome in the driveway.

Good luck my friend. (I hate to admit it but it was worth it.) :) (y)

Ceee

Site Supporter
I had a side by side before the one I have now. Current one is double doors on top and the freezer on the bottom. I like it much better than the side by side. This one has one of those drawers on the inside, but you have to open both upper doors to pull it open. Next fridge I get is going to have one of those middle drawers, like jpr's. So much more convenient and probably more energy saving too. I don't find emptying the ice bin a problem. Those drawers just glide out and in so very easily.

If you're going to replace all the appliances in your remodel, look around for a package type deal where you get an extra percentage off when you buy multiple appliances of the same brand.

Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We recently bought new appliances.
The fridge is a Maytag. No where near the quality they used to be.
The drawers are a PITA to open and the plastic liner/frame on the inside cracks very easily.
When you go to Lowe's or whatever, grab a few relatively heavy items that will fit in the drawers. Put them in the drawers while looking and see how easy they open.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our current one is a Maytag and it has done well, and still working but, it's white. Wife wants stainless. :pat: I didn't know Maytag was still being made.
Thanks for the input on the bottom door freezer.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We have a similar one to jpr's. Side by side with a middle drawer for beer and a bottom freezer. Ice and water. We love it.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Because it's just for beer RIGHT NOW. Not the beer for later today. :ROFLMAO:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Appliance repair guy was here today for our washer. While here I asked him about refrigerators.
He said the bottom freezer side by side fridges are a good choice. Most of his calls are for LG. He also mentioned having trouble getting parts for some Samsung units. 3 week wait time on some circuit boards. Then he said circuit boards for all makes come from Asia. Whirlpool was top of his list. Whirlpool makes Frigidaire, Maytag and a number of other brands I'd never heard of.
All simply his opinion and observations from servicing them.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of our refrigerators is making noise that it should not make.

I'm hoping its just a mouse stuck in the condenser fan :ROFLMAO: