• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Prepping for biological disaster

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
What he said. :agree:

My only question would be, "What would you do with 500 pounds of hamburger?".

A couple of years ago a good friend and fishing partner of mine shot a "small" moose up in Essex county in Vermont (that is way up in the sticks where the men are men and the sheep are damn glad of it) that weighed in at around a thousand pounds. He had most of it ground up in hamburger. He said that was the only way his wife would eat it. :th_lmao: I don't think he got 500 pounds of it, but he got enough to give me 20 pounds of it as a gift and he bought a huge upright freezer to store it in.

All vac sealed and I do believe he still some plenty. So, yes, it can be done. :th_lmao:

BTW, if you've ever had a nice juicy moose burger grilled on the Weber you will never want to go back to beef. It is also incredible in meat pies. The old French Canadian way, eh.

I have never won the lottery draw for a moose hunting permit so never had a chance to get my own.

Bannedjoe

A couple of years ago a good friend and fishing partner of mine shot a "small" moose up in Essex county in Vermont (that is way up in the sticks where the men are men and the sheep are damn glad of it) that weighed in at around a thousand pounds. He had most of it ground up in hamburger. He said that was the only way his wife would eat it. :th_lmao: I don't think he got 500 pounds of it, but he got enough to give me 20 pounds of it as a gift and he bought a huge upright freezer to store it in.

All vac sealed and I do believe he still some plenty. So, yes, it can be done. :th_lmao:

BTW, if you've ever had a nice juicy moose burger grilled on the Weber you will never want to go back to beef. It is also incredible in meat pies. The old French Canadian way, eh.

I have never won the lottery draw for a moose hunting permit so never had a chance to get my own.

There's lots of rabbits in this area, tons of free ranging cattle, a few deer, but I've never seen any Meese.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
There's lots of rabbits in this area, tons of free ranging cattle, a few deer, but I've never seen any Meese.

I was doing a project years ago at a ski area, Mad River Glen is the name. We were yanking 15KV cable underground in 5" conduit and I was running the tugger machine. We had a pause in the pull so I turned around to grab my smokes (that makes it over 30 years ago, lol) and there was a bull moose standing there staring at me and he must of weighed 1500 pounds if he weighed an ounce. They are long legged as hell so they are tall. We stared at each other for a moment, he snorted and wandered off.

He was one big SOB I can tell you that. His rack looked like it was 10 feet wide. :th_lmao:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was doing a project years ago at a ski area, Mad River Glen is the name. We were yanking 15KV cable underground in 5" conduit and I was running the tugger machine. We had a pause in the pull so I turned around to grab my smokes (that makes it over 30 years ago, lol) and there was a bull moose standing there staring at me and he must of weighed 1500 pounds if he weighed an ounce. They are long legged as hell so they are tall. We stared at each other for a moment, he snorted and wandered off.

He was one big SOB I can tell you that. His rack looked like it was 10 feet wide. :th_lmao:

Did he say if he wanted a smoke or did he just like watching you work?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
One of the reasons we have 3 freezers outside is that every year we used to share a buffalo with friends up in Dallas. When we actively raised cattle we raised one steer for personal use. Typically, we would take him to the packing plant weighing 1200# to 1400# on the hoof. Also typically we'd get back about 500# of boneless meat. All that meat takes up some freezer space.

You don't need to hang meat but when you hang it in a cooler what happens is that the meat fiber begins to break down the longer you let it hang making it more tender. Also, it loses water and that intensifies the flavor of the meat but it also loses weight. That's the theory anyway.

The guys at the packing plant once told me that there is a minimum time to hang meat, if you go that route. I can't remember what it was but it could well be the 10 days you mentioned. Also, the temperature and humidity have to be controlled pretty closely.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Didn't Rocky Balboa use hanging meat as a punching bag? I would think that would tenderize it as well. :th_lmao:

After tagging and registering a white tail deer, you always hang it in the garage for 10 days. You hope and pray the weather does not warm up above 50 in the garage or you could be in trouble or you just cut your hang time short and start cutting.

Bannedjoe

Didn't Rocky Balboa use hanging meat as a punching bag? I would think that would tenderize it as well. :th_lmao:

After tagging and registering a white tail deer, you always hang it in the garage for 10 days. You hope and pray the weather does not warm up above 50 in the garage or you could be in trouble or you just cut your hang time short and start cutting.

Unfortunately, walk-in coolers don't just happen, and by the time one might have to consider taking a free range beef, the temps might be quite high.
But at least they're free, right?
FREE range cattle.
There's even signs out here that say that! ;)

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Unfortunately, walk-in coolers don't just happen, and by the time one might have to consider taking a free range beef, the temps might be quite high.
But at least they're free, right?
FREE range cattle.
There's even signs out here that say that! ;)

Absolutely. I gotta think in a SHTF situation, free range cattle quickly become an endangered species. The way people seem to panic nowadays, I am surprised it already hasn't happened. People shooting them, dragging them home and then saying, now what?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Absolutely. I gotta think in a SHTF situation, free range cattle quickly become an endangered species. The way people seem to panic nowadays, I am surprised it already hasn't happened. People shooting them, dragging them home and then saying, now what?

We already had some farm animals stolen my area. I dont know how they mark them now days, but once there gone it might be hard to check the serial #

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We already had some farm animals stolen my area. I dont know how they mark them now days, but once there gone it might be hard to check the serial #

Rustling cattle and or livestock used to be a hanging offense along with stealing ones horse.

In a SHTF situation, that would need to come back in a big way, IMHO. Gotta keep it real.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the cattle here can't be sold without the branding paperwork and more are branding them.

Bannedjoe

Rustling cattle and or livestock used to be a hanging offense along with stealing ones horse.

In a SHTF situation, that would need to come back in a big way, IMHO. Gotta keep it real.

I would tend to think in a SHTF scenario, all bets are off anyways.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
There are quite a few absentee ranchers in East Texas, people who work elsewhere and come to the farm/ranch on the week-end. Rustling is one of those problems that seems to go in cycles, somewhat depending on beef prices. They move in to an area for a week or maybe two and then are gone and you won't have any trouble for 10 or 15 years or so. In all these years we've only ever been troubled once and they got about a dozen cows.

I'd have no problem with shooting them but that's just me. :boxing:

Bannedjoe

There are quite a few absentee ranchers in East Texas, people who work elsewhere and come to the farm/ranch on the week-end. Rustling is one of those problems that seems to go in cycles, somewhat depending on beef prices. They move in to an area for a week or maybe two and then are gone and you won't have any trouble for 10 or 15 years or so. In all these years we've only ever been troubled once and they got about a dozen cows.

I'd have no problem with shooting them but that's just me. :boxing:

Fortunately, that point hasn't arrived.
But there's just shittones of them out here everywhere.
I'm relatively certain they wouldn't miss a newborn calf that hadn't been tagged or branded yet.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Fortunately, that point hasn't arrived.
But there's just shittones of them out here everywhere.
I'm relatively certain they wouldn't miss a newborn calf that hadn't been tagged or branded yet.

Don't worry, the thought has occurred to me too. :th_lmao:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pet dogs and cats are edible too.

But we have not gotten to that point (yet)

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I think that unless a second wave comes that is bad as the first we are going to come out the other side in a few weeks. Now what the other side looks like for a while is up for debate.
Its most likely going to be a year or more before people feel comfortable to go to businesses that are close quarters, and thats if it doesn't flare up causing more shut downs. Even when everything is open I'm going to give it some time before going to sit down restaurants, air travel etc.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I will be able to basically go about my business much as before with one exception. I think it will be a while before I step foot into a restaurant.

The last time for me was March 7 and the way the waitress was handling the coffee mugs by the top and not the handle at the diner was not good. Yup, gonna be a while for that with me.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
...Its most likely going to be a year or more before people feel comfortable to go to businesses that are close quarters, and thats if it doesn't flare up causing more shut downs. Even when everything is open I'm going to give it some time before going to sit down restaurants, air travel etc.
Not sure that many SPORTS will return to 'normal' without a vaccine.

Close quarters where bodies easily touch: Wrestling, Football, Soccer, Fencing, Basketball, Rugby etc are all problematic.

Sports with a bit more distance yachting, cricket, bowling, tennis, golf may be able to recover sooner, but without an audience?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

Close quarters where bodies easily touch: Wrestling, Football, Soccer, Fencing, Basketball, Rugby etc are all problematic.

Sports with a bit more distance yachting, cricket, bowling, tennis, golf may be able to recover sooner, but without an audience?

Without the Vaccine there'll be localized flare ups and that means no normal until we do. Some Manufacturing businesses will come back, entertainment, travel, sports, restaurants etc will hurt, that said what is the economy going to look like with 1/2 the country working and the other 1/2 re inventing itself. What is my home going to be worth. I for one would like to be tested to see if I had it and don't have to worry or if I didn't and still need to worry.

Bannedjoe

I know that fencing is quite important to you.

As for pro sports, I couldn't give a rats ass about them nor the overpaid players "Celebrity" status.
Playing football is worth millions and millions a year?

Sorry. Standing behind a deep fryer with 40 lbs of skin shearing hot oil seems more dangerous to me.

That should pay millions.

Picking up people's garbage?

I could go on......

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I know that fencing is quite important to you.

As for pro sports, I couldn't give a rats ass about them nor the overpaid players "Celebrity" status.
Playing football is worth millions and millions a year?

Sorry. Standing behind a deep fryer with 40 lbs of skin shearing hot oil seems more dangerous to me.

Picking up people's garbage?
Dang Joe my thoughts exactly seeing as there are so few Americans willing to do physical labor for a living now days it should pay more. the funny thing is it seems its more the older generation doing that kind of work too it seems hard work is unbecoming of the younger generation. in the last 3 days I have had to do 3 jobs the younger guys at work couldn't do I think its because they didn't want to do them, they would rather get paied to surf face book.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, things are picking up around here.

I got an email and a call from my friend who owns Cowburners BBQ and Brew Pub in town. He's just made a deal with a hydroponics farmer in the County to sell some of his produce at his restaurant. He tells me that if I need tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, peppers, onions or other stuff to give him a call and he'll include it in his order and we can pick it up curbside.

Through her sister, my wife made contact with a farmer at the other end of our county road. I never knew he was there. He raises chickens and sells eggs, whole chickens or parts, pork products and has a greenhouse full of veggies, especially heirloom tomatoes. What a find. What I loved was that he said that if you are set to pick up your eggs at 10 o'clock, you may have to wait a bit because sometimes his "girls" don't co-operate. Now that's funny.

We haven't quite resorted to barter yet but living out in the country does have it's advantages.

Last edited:

Bannedjoe

Well, things are picking up around here.

I got an email and a call from my friend who owns Cowburners BBQ and Brew Pub in town. He's just made a deal with a hydroponics farmer in the County to sell some of his produce at his restaurant. He tells me that if I need tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, peppers, onions or other stuff to give him a call and he'll include it in his order and we can pick it up curbside.

Through her sister, my wife made contact with a farmer at the other end of our county road. I never knew he was there. He raises chickens and sells eggs, whole chickens or parts, pork products and has a greenhouse full of veggies, especially heirloom tomatoes. What a find. What I loved was that he said that if you are set to pick up your eggs at 10 o'clock, you may have to wait a bit because sometimes his "girls" don't co-operate. Now that's funny.

We haven't quite resorted to barter yet but living out in the country does have it's advantages.

Now that is cool!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Corona virus shuts Down Tyson foods, this shit better go away pretty soon or the cupboard is gonna be bare.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Corona virus shuts Down Tyson foods, this shit better go away pretty soon or the cupboard is gonna be bare.

Everything I am reading is it is not going away, it is going to get worse.

We are right now with the meat supply where we were back in the first part of March with all those items people started hoarding. In other words, if you want those meats in your freezer for later, I would strongly suggest you get them NOW!!!. You snooze, you will lose.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Everything I am reading is it is not going away, it is going to get worse.

We are right now with the meat supply where we were back in the first part of March with all those items people started hoarding. In other words, if you want those meats in your freezer for later, I would strongly suggest you get them NOW!!!. You snooze, you will lose.

Literally full.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, BUT, every time we use something, I look at that gaping hole on the shelf where it used to be in the freezer and want to go replace it. I must have too much time on my hands. :th_lmao:

Me too :applause: