• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New 102 year old Stained Glass windows

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My birthday is coming up and the lovely Mrs_Bob surprised me with an early gift.

7 large matching antique stained glass windows.

I need to fit new frames but the glass size will fit, without alteration, into the window frames on the front of our home.

Should be a good fall/winter project for me that I will enjoy.

Attachments

• 0E1C08D7-9DF5-4758-938E-56826FA43F4C.jpeg
    0E1C08D7-9DF5-4758-938E-56826FA43F4C.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 7

chowderman

that's neat. I do luv' good old stuff.

we have only one area where stained glass would contribute - the horizontal (non-functional) transom over the front door.
trying to work with a local craftsman - he does not do email.
he may be good, he may be old school, but communicating is a really big issue here . . .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our dining room has stained glass. It is also from the right time period for our home (our home was designed in 1912 by Walter Burley Griffin, while working with Frank Lloyd Wright, but was not built at that time. It was originally to be constructed in Mason City, Iowa in their joint Rock Crest & Rock Glen subdivision). We found drawings and rough plans in a library and worked with an achitect to build it in 1994/95.

The dining room windows have some curved glass in them, which is not really appropriate for our home, but they looked so good we didn't want to destroy the design. The design of these 'new' windows for the front of the house are actually far more appropriate for the design of our home.

The dining room glass.

tempImagernFH4K.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Our dining room has stained glass. It is also from the right time period for our home (our home was designed in 1912 by Walter Burley Griffin, while working with Frank Lloyd Wright, but was not built at that time. It was originally to be constructed in Mason City, Iowa in their joint Rock Crest & Rock Glen subdivision). We found drawings and rough plans in a library and worked with an achitect to build it in 1994/95.

The dining room windows have some curved glass in them, which is not really appropriate for our home, but they looked so good we didn't want to destroy the design. The design of these 'new' windows for the front of the house are actually far more appropriate for the design of our home.

The dining room glass.

View attachment 156003
I love this scene. What an awesome place you have built.:ThumbsUp:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And so it begins. Window 1 of 7.

The window frames are fairly solid, none will have to be rebuilt. But they glazing compound needs to be replaced. It is brittle and cracked, missing in some areas. Some of the lead cane is slightly loose between individual pieces, but that is a minor issue. These were originally exterior windows on a home, but we will be mounting them inside the frame of existing double wall glass, basically behind the current windows. The frames on the stained glass windows are about 1/2" too tall to fit into my existing window frames and about the same dimension too narrow. So I need to put in furring strips on the sides and shave off a bit from the bottom of the frames.

IMG_5404.jpegIMG_5403.jpegIMG_5408.jpeg

chowderman

imho, I would strip the glass panels to the outer cane, repair as needed,
make new wood frame to fit the new opening.
to me the value is in the glass&its artistry - cracked, weathered wood framing, not so much....
also, new wood will allow any finishing / matching needed to suit....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And another Project is 90% done. Just a little brown paint to cover some paintable caulk that was used to create a seal around the frames.

All new glazing around the perimeters, some new glazing along the lead caning, but most of the original glazing was still solid, the lead caning was in amazingly good shape. Zero pieces of broken glass despite their age of 103 years old!

IMG_0229.jpegIMG_0228.jpeg72160184208__2AF5153C-C1C8-4A88-85CA-2F1661F8C007.jpeg72160183040__B24A7D13-F946-4437-8A49-E79008535A93.jpeg

72159266143__1712C4E3-AEEF-4C35-8FE7-BAC8CB3C298C.jpeg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
And another Project is 90% done. Just a little brown paint to cover some paintable caulk that was used to create a seal around the frames.

All new glazing around the perimeters, some new glazing along the lead caning, but most of the original glazing was still solid, the lead caning was in amazingly good shape. Zero pieces of broken glass despite their age of 103 years old!

View attachment 170542View attachment 170543View attachment 170544View attachment 170545View attachment 170546
STUNNING! (y)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
STUNNING! (y)
Thank you.

I'm just the "labor" it is the lovely Mrs_Bob that found the windows.

My buddy helped me install some of them, I did some of them, and I'll do the final finish. But it was good to have 2 people because the ladder was slipping on the tile floor while installing the windows in our foyer, which are roughly 12' above the floor.