• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Melen passed the Illinois Bar Exam!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Many of you know of her from my posts in the past, but my daughter Melen (Mary Helen) just got word that she passed the Illinois Bar Exam.

So its official, she is now a lawyer.

Its been an amazing year. She came back to Indiana from her 9 month legal internship at Cisco in Silicon Valley and ended up having eye surgery shortly after coming back, before she recovered from eye surgery and before she could actually return to law classes for her final semester of school, the Covid pandemic hit and closed down the university. So she finished on-line. Of course no graduation ceremony.

Even before the non-ceremony graduation from IU Mauer Law she started interviews for jobs but they were all video interviews. Eventually she got hired as a an assistant corporate staff lawyer at a large medical service company. But with a degree and WITHOUT the bar exam its an assistant position. Now she can (hopefully) transition to a full position at the firm. (same job, more pay + benefits + title)

We are grateful and proud.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Many of you know of her from my posts in the past, but my daughter Melen (Mary Helen) just got word that she passed the Illinois Bar Exam.

So its official, she is now a lawyer.

Its been an amazing year. She came back to Indiana from her 9 month legal internship at Cisco in Silicon Valley and ended up having eye surgery shortly after coming back, before she recovered from eye surgery and before she could actually return to law classes for her final semester of school, the Covid pandemic hit and closed down the university. So she finished on-line. Of course no graduation ceremony.

Even before the non-ceremony graduation from IU Mauer Law she started interviews for jobs but they were all video interviews. Eventually she got hired as a an assistant corporate staff lawyer at a large medical service company. But with a degree and WITHOUT the bar exam its an assistant position. Now she can (hopefully) transition to a full position at the firm. (same job, more pay + benefits + title)

We are grateful and proud.
Thats something to be proud of for sure.(y)

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Impressive I am sure your as proud of her as any father could be of his daughter..
A little planning and hard work just seem to pay off. It takes time, but a mountain can be moved.

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. Congrats to Melen and to you and Mrs Bob. That is awesome news.
Man, I remember when she was much younger and you used her as a prop to see which tractor you could see over the FEL best. LOL
Way to go Melen, you've come a long way!!!!!!!

Rudi

Congrats sir! That is quite an accomplishment. I seriously have no idea, is that a difficult thing to do? Is it a low percentage of people that pass those tests these days?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats to Melen!! Now Bob, you do realize all your legal work can be done pro bono, LOL!! Won't have to deal with all those billable hours!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. Congrats to Melen and to you and Mrs Bob. That is awesome news.
Man, I remember when she was much younger and you used her as a prop to see which tractor you could see over the FEL best. LOL
Way to go Melen, you've come a long way!!!!!!!
I don’t even think she was 10 years old when I did that! I need to find those photos!!!

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats sir! That is quite an accomplishment. I seriously have no idea, is that a difficult thing to do? Is it a low percentage of people that pass those tests these days?
The online bar exam has a 70% failure rate in some states. Not sure what the rate is for IL as numbers have not been tabulated yet.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats to Melen!! Now Bob, you do realize all your legal work can be done pro bono, LOL!! Won't have to deal with all those billable hours!!
She asked me once (a year or so ago) if I’d be intimidated by her degree. I told her I hire lawyers and they work for me so why would an employee intimidate me?!? So yes, I can be a total jerk, but it did make her a bit more humble at a moment when she wanted to gloat.