• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Look what followed me home????

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I did it again almost exactly one year later. I have another cat sitting in my driveway???:thumb: This time a friend (Mtntopper) and I decided to see if their really is "No road to steep, No snow to deep". We purchased a 1950 Tucker 443 Sedan. It has the Flathead 6cyl in it, and 3sp manual trans. Well it needs a little pontoon work, But it starts and runs like a champ!!:snow2_smi: :beer: Let the fun begin!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3901.jpg
    100_3901.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 100_3886.jpg
    100_3886.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 428
  • 100_3888.jpg
    100_3888.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 431
  • 100_3889.jpg
    100_3889.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 419

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
COOL !!! :thumb:

Hope it comes together well for you.

I'll be looking for a report when the snow flies :)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You say it needs a little pontoon work . . . care to elaborate?

How about some interior and engine photos?

snowbird

Congratulations! I've always been impressed with the creative engineering behind the pontoon concept. I've got no experience driving snowcats (yet?), so I don't know how the Tucker concept compares to others, but it surely looks like it would work. The only thing following me home is stray cats (the feline kind - - - not mechanical).

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a few engine pics. This thing runs smoother than most new cars!!!:thumb: The pontoons need a little repair on the top and need a few of the bearings replaced. Other than that, a coat of paint and I think she will be Good to Go!!

Attachments

• 100_3900.jpg
    100_3900.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 416
  • 100_3899.jpg
    100_3899.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 415
  • 100_3898.jpg
    100_3898.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 424

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
The interior is in pretty good shape needs a good cleaning! All guages seem to work. The steering on this thing is pretty neat how it works!!:thumb:

Attachments

• 100_3890.jpg
    100_3890.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 417
  • 100_3891.jpg
    100_3891.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 412
  • 100_3892.jpg
    100_3892.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 412
  • 100_3894.jpg
    100_3894.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 409
  • 100_3895.jpg
    100_3895.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 100_3896.jpg
    100_3896.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 407

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice ride.............. :thumb: Now you just need to put some of those all rubber tracks on it that I have so many of and call it Terra-Tucker:idea:
you know they just might fit.... and a 460 and a ........... looks like a fun
project.... make sure you keep us posted .... so do you still have the little red thingy? :yum: :yum:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is crab steering like a 4-wheel drive tractor. Yes I still have the "Little red thingy" It is for sale!!!!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thats great Mike . Have you got all moved to your new location ?
There's a couple old Tuckers in Jordan Valley , Oregon . I was tempted to stop a few times .but now they seem to be gone .They were parked across from the high school on Hyw 95 . Maybe someone got em .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice find MB. Now I'm curious .... what country made Tuckers? They are so different than a Snow-Trac. Which was made first?
All the snow critters remind me of boats in that they are only used part of the year so they last a long time.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice find MB. Now I'm curious .... what country made Tuckers? They are so different than a Snow-Trac. Which was made first?
All the snow critters remind me of boats in that they are only used part of the year so they last a long time.
Good ole USA Doc!!!!!!!! I do believe that Tucker was one of the first ever made!!!!:thumb:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Good ole USA Doc!!!!!!!! I do believe that Tucker was one of the first ever made!!!!:thumb:

Started out in Grass Valley , Calif.on Spring Hill . My home town . Its up north now in Oregon .

Vance

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the club!! Looks like a pretty darn nice specimem for a 1950. I love the streamlined body and can't wait to hear about it running circles around all the other cats....

Have fun with it!!

Vance

P.S. Attached is a get aquainted article on EM Tucker. If any of you have the FF snocat manual DVD then you'll also see some cool movies of Tuckers of various types on the snow.

Attachments

• Tucker - Get Acquainted.pdf
    199.8 KB · Views: 131

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Tucker was among the very first to attach tracks to a vehicle with skis on the front for steering. Pre-dating Tucker were snow-planes. Those were propeller driven vehicles that had 3 or 4 skis and were best suited to use on flat lands, frozen lakes, etc. I believe the earliest of those were the Russian Aerosans, dating back before 1920 (sometime in the "teens"). At least I can't find any record of any mechanically driven snow machines prior to the Russian Aerosan.

There were some "conversion" vehicles using Henry Ford's Model Ts with simple tracks added to the rear tires. Most commonly I see images of 3 axle conversions with the rear 2 axles holding traditional road tires, but with a simple wood & chain "track" arrangement that is utilized very similar to the track conversions you can find for modern skid-steers. The fronts of those model T conversions often had simple skis that were bolted onto the front axle and replaced the front wheels. We have photos of some of them here (somewhere) on the forums.

The thing that seemed to make the Tuckers unusual was the early adoption of front and rear tracks. While most of the machines in the machines prior to the mid-1950's had skis on the front, Tucker was developing the 4 pontoon drive system.

In the 1940s and into the mid-1950s the propeller driven snow-planes were very popular. Fudge and a couple other companies dominated that category, most seem to be in the upper mid-west (Minnesota, Dakotas, etc and also across the great planes of Canada). Other companies developed 2 track machines, and that is what happened with Snow Trac, but the Snow Trac was not commercially introduced until the very late 1950's and was not a commercially distributed unit until the early 1960's. Bombardier also developed a very successful 2 track series of machines, they were the "snow busses" and were the fastest commercial snowcats for a very long time. They were in production from the 1940s and into the 70's. They utilized 2 long rear tracks and 2 front skis. The fronts could also be equipped with traditional road wheels. They attained speeds exceeding 30mph, and could commonly seat 12 to 18 people (depending on the model). The Bombardier B-12 through C-18 series were best suited for reasonably flat to mildly hilly lands and were very popular in Canada for use as school busses, mail delivery vehicles, etc.

sledhaus

Tucker started out with screw drive machines. One of the originals is restored at the Tucker factory in Medford. He likely got the idea from the Armstead Snow Motor Fordson tractor conversion operating in Truckee in the early twenties. A photo of it was posted on a thread here a couple months ago. Armstead built his own screw drive tractor before making the conversions for Fordsons which I'm sure he found to be more feasible. Screw drive snow machines date back to the turn of the century in Europe. The endless track design for snow travel is credited to Lombard even after Benjamin Holt (later Catapillar) infringed on his patents and settled in court. Endless track machines were developed in England for Antarctic expeditions as early as 1910 I believe. I think it was Shackelton's expedition but I'm not sure. As a snocat enthusiast you owe it to yourself to find a copy of "Snow Travel and Transport" . This is the most comprehensive history on mechanized snow travel ever published. Lots of pictures. I need to read it again so I don't sound like an idiot. British publication but easy to find on Amazon or Ebay.