• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

House boat ride with Doc and Abby

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When the party in Columbus was first brought up more thought they could attend. Now that the time for reservations is here the group will be smaller, and that might be a good thing.

What if we switched from the Hilton to our houseboat? It will hold all who have said they could make it. A cookout on the houseboat sounds better than anything at the Hilton. I know Vin was hoping for a houseboat ride. how about you all? It would change some from a day visit only to staying over night as we are two hours from Columbus.

The invites for now are limited to those who have already spoken up and said they would attend. About 10 folks in all not counting me and Abby. If some can't make it the first to say they want on the 'list' will be invited in the order they are received.

I'll get hotel rates and I'm sure they'll be less than the Hilton. One of the closest Hotels is the one Hilllary stayed at on her whirlwind pass through this area. I know some would be thrilled to be able to stay where Hillary stayed. :D

mak2

I was typing on the other thread when you closed it. I would like to attend or at least stop by and meet you guys. I am not sure about work and stuff though. My job is changeing a lot. Can I tentatively sign up?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I thought the open ended gathering was a much better option. I would assume the reason many people said "might" and "maybe" was simply because they would like to, but just don't know for sure. I know for myself that if I have to give a definite answer, it will be no. If I know that everyone will be at a hotel on Saturday evening, then I can decide as late as Saturday morning if my commitments will allow me to go.

I said yes (hopefully, maybe, might) in a PM (before the other thread was opened), but I never said anything in the thread so I guess I'm off the preferred list.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep you did Dave, PM's count, so you and Bob are on the invited list.
To reserve the block of rooms at the Hilton ittakes $500 down and requires 90% occupancy. If the 90% occupancy is not met I forfeit the $500. It sure did not appear I would have 10 book a room so with thte low numbers I can offer the houseboat option.
I know you were hoping to come to the Parkersburg area Dave. :thumb: :D

Have you heard of the Blennerhassett Island? We'll be boating around that and if you choose you can stay where Hillary stayed, at the Blennerhassett Hotel. :D

Blennerhassett Island plays a minor part in US early history. Anyone know why?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Have you heard of the Blennerhassett Island? We'll be boating around that and if you choose you can stay where Hillary stayed, at the Blennerhassett Hotel. :D

Blennerhassett Island plays a minor part in US early history. Anyone know why?

Wikipedia

Historically it was an Indian settlement, was first known as Backus Island for Elijah Backus who purchased it in 1792. Now it is named for Harman Blennerhassett, a figure in the Aaron Burr treason conspiracy, who purchased the north end of the island in 1798. The island is the site of Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park, the location of Blennerhassett House, where Aaron Burr and Harman Blennerhassett are alleged to have plotted treason against the United States, the so-called Burr Conspiracy.

Blennerhassett Island

In 1805 and 1806, the Blennerhassetts assisted Burr in his scheme to break away the western part of the United States to form a new country that he would lead. The United States government heard rumors of the uprising and sent a detachment of Virginia militia to seize the Blennerhassetts' island.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ding ding ding. You got it Murph. Harman Blennerhassett had an elaborate mansion on the Island. They have rebuilt the mansion. Rather impressive if I do say so myself. :D

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓🩺 🇺🇸
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like fun on the houseboat Doc, but as it stands now, I am going to TRY to work it in between that weekend off and an annual trip I make with my sister and some friends to Shipshewana for the Fall Crafter's Fair.
So right now, it's a possible thing for me.
If not this time, I am sure we'll have other FF meets, right?

BoneheadNW

Hey Doc-
What is with the muddy water? That is mud, right?:hide:
Bone

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 185

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. Sometimes it is muddy like that. Most of the times it's not. Right now it's as clear as I've ever seen it. You can swim in it and see your feet. We used to be able to do that at Lake Cumberland but not in the Ohio River. Sure is nice to have it so clear. Guess I need to post a pick or two.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me know what the list looks like Doc. Phyl and I had planned on attending for the day when it was at the Hilton. Kinda hard to imagine putting out a couple hundred for a room when I have one here at the house :smile:

It would be a nice drive down there to meet everyone. We'd probably spend the night somewhere.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like fun on the houseboat Doc, but as it stands now, I am going to TRY to work it in between that weekend off and an annual trip I make with my sister and some friends to Shipshewana for the Fall Crafter's Fair.
So right now, it's a possible thing for me.
If not this time, I am sure we'll have other FF meets, right?

Good enough PG. You spoke up and are already on the list. With luck we'll see you here. If not I'm sure we'll have another, bigger get together sometime. Sounds like fun to me. This one is special because Vin will be here. He specifically asked for a ride on the houseboat. So I hope this works out for all.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓🩺 🇺🇸
GOLD Site Supporter
Good enough PG. You spoke up and are already on the list. With luck we'll see you here. If not I'm sure we'll have another, bigger get together sometime. Sounds like fun to me. This one is special because Vin will be here. He specifically asked for a ride on the houseboat. So I hope this works out for all.
I'll try my darndest to be there- you'll have to PM me directions and all that jazz in case I can work it in.:smile:
But, as I said if not this time, then another.
It's going to be cool to have Vin there, I am sure.
Sounds like a blast.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me know what the list looks like Doc. Phyl and I had planned on attending for the day when it was at the Hilton. Kinda hard to imagine putting out a couple hundred for a room when I have one here at the house :smile:

It would be a nice drive down there to meet everyone. We'd probably spend the night somewhere.

GREAT Jerry. I sure don't blame you for not planning to stay at the Hilton with your house so close and all. I know it makes you drive further, but hopefully you don't mind a couple hour drive down 33 to 50. The hotel here will be cheaper for sure. I'll post rates & phone numbers sometime mid week.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How many can the house boat hold Doc?

We've had 25 on her before. But Oct. might be good weather, and might be bad. So I'm keeping it to around 10 so that we can either be inside or out depending on the weather.
If others really want to come but miss this time we'll have another one next season for those that get on the standby list. Fair nuff?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds perfect! Thanks Doc! Should we bring food? Im still not sure I can get their because of the job thing. What should we bring? I could take a big pizza pie or something.

Cityboy

Banned
Hey Doc, slim chance for me, but please put me whever this post happens to fall on the stand-by list. I was slow in responding to the first thread because I couldn't get everything sorted out with prior plans around Columbus day.

At least we'll be getting together with Vin, Mary, Rback & Princess later this month, so we won't be missing out completely, and we can send some pictures up with Vin so you guys can laugh at us at the get together. :tongue:

jwstewar

Hey Doc, is this what your house boat looks like?

Actually I've seen pics of your boat. Keagan just built this and I thought it was kinda neat and wanted to share and since talking about the boat here it seemed to fit here, even though it is a bit off topic.:unsure:

I missed the entire thread about the Columbus get together until it was already closed. Wasn't sure what we had going on for that weekend and had thought about trying to make it.

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 191

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got ya covered CB and Jim. I'll let you know as things shore up and we see how many plan to make it here.

Here is the hotel info:
Blennerhassett Hotel - nice. they list prices from 129 to 279 a night.
Ameri Host is rather new and close to the mall.

But there are plenty to choose from:

Better yet I found a list of hotels and their numbers:
The list below comes from this link, which also has some reviews:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1

A. Blennerhasset-Clarion Hotel
- www.theblennerhassett.com - (304) 422-3131 - 44 reviews
B. Red Roof Inn Parkersburg, WV
- www.redroof.com - (304) 485-1741 - 12 reviews
C. Wingate by Wyndham Vienna
- www.wingateinns.com - (304) 295-5501 - 10 reviews
D. Amer & Host Inn - Parkersburg
- www.comfortinn.com - (304) 424-5300 - 13 reviews
E. Econo Lodge
- www.econolodge.com - (304) 428-7500 - 8 reviews
F. Red Carpet Inn
- www.bookroomsnow.com - (304) 485-1851 - 2 reviews
G. Knights Inn
- www.knightsinn.com - (304) 420-2420 - 4 reviews
H. Travelodge Parkersburg
- www.travelodge.com - (304) 424-5100 - 5 reviews
I. Best Western Inn Parkersburg
- www.bestwestern.com - (304) 485-6551 - 4 reviews
J. Holiday Inn-Parkersburg
- www.ichotelsgroup.com - (304) 485-6200 - 4 reviews

Keep in mind that the Blennerhasset Yact Club (where our houseboat is) is in Belpre Ohio. So the closer to the river your hotel is the better.

Once I figure out who all plans to show up I'll post more info and contact any standby's that are interested in a boat ride.
Since it now might be a longer trip for some of you, you might want to get here Friday. We could all plan to meet up Friday at the boat club for pizza and beer. Then do the boat ride Saturday afternoon.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Doc,

I really wished I could come but just can't. Someday when I get my business back in tact I will have the money again to do things as such.

But most of all I wanted to tell you that I think you did a good thing by changing it from the hotel to your boat. I just think every will have more fun. To me sitting in a room with 4 walls drinking does not offer near as much excitement as being out on a boat where you can be yourself. The original hotel seemed expensive so there is some savings there also but now you have the gas expense on the boat. Maybe the guys could take up a collection for gas to help out.

murph

RedRocker

Could you bring your houseboat to Lake Lewisville in North Texas? It would be a lot closer for ME and of course that's what's important.:whistling:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

I really wished I could come but just can't. Someday when I get my business back in tact I will have the money again to do things as such.

But most of all I wanted to tell you that I think you did a good thing by changing it from the hotel to your boat. I just think every will have more fun. To me sitting in a room with 4 walls drinking does not offer near as much excitement as being out on a boat where you can be yourself. The original hotel seemed expensive so there is some savings there also but now you have the gas expense on the boat. Maybe the guys could take up a collection for gas to help out.

murph

Thanks for your thoughts on this Murph. I also think this will be a much better place for getting together. As a member of the boat club I have a big ole club house just waiting to be used for a little get together. We have a nice patio overlooking the river. www.bycinc.org And then we can do a boat ride on Saturday. Heck I'll save cash since I won't be traveling out of town and staying at that expensive hotel so no need to take up a gas collection or anything.
But for those on the west side of the state I just made their drive 4 hours instead of 2 hours to Columbus. I hope the boat ride makes it worth it. For those who planned to attend the Columbus gathering please post here or PM me on whether or not you'll plan to make the scene.
The one key person I have not heard from yet is Vin. But I'm sure he's busy seeing the sites and enjoying a visit with Chris in CA.

daedong

Sorry Doc, had a few internet problems. And we've been busy driving in circles, lost, trying to find a store to buy a GPS!

As I've said before I will do whatever is organised, just tell me where and when.

The houseboat trip sounds great.

BTW we have not meet with Chris yet.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for checking in Vin. I've driven in circles in California more times than I care to remember. Hope you are having a great time while doing it.
A GPS will be a huge help to you. They have them down to a fine science nowdays.
Keep us posted on your trip as time permits.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be there, just let me know where we can stay (hotel recommendation) the night and get the keg!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be there, just let me know where we can stay (hotel recommendation) the night and get the keg!

I'm counting on you Dawg. Briing your wife or one of your boys if you want.
See page one of this thread for hotels and numbers. I recommended the Blennerhassett and the Ameria Host. But there are plenty of others to choose from.

I figure you might need two nights. we'll have a friday get together /mixer at the boat club, and Saturday we'll do the boat ride & cookout.

AndyM

Charter Member
I'm counting on you Dawg. Briing your wife or one of your boys if you want.
See page one of this thread for hotels and numbers. I recommended the Blennerhassett and the Ameria Host. But there are plenty of others to choose from.

I won't be able to make it but can make a recommendation. I've stayed at the Blennerhassett. Classic old downtown hotel, if you're into that sort of thing... more interesting than the chain places for sure.

Attachments

• 501104528_primary.jpg
    501104528_primary.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 140

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I won't be able to make it but can make a recommendation. I've stayed at the Blennerhassett. Classic old downtown hotel, if you're into that sort of thing... more interesting than the chain places for sure.

And ..... Hillary stayed there a few months ago. :D