• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Garden hoses - Is it just me?

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
I had the good fortune to have had the same couple garden hoses for the better part of the last 15-20 years, with no issues. Then, as luck would have it, 3 of the 4 seemed to all fail at once last year - leaking from the female fitting where it joins to the hose.

Problem now, all new hoses seem to be garbage. I've been through 3 different brands/styles in the past year, and all suck. From leaking hardware to splits in the hose body, to kinks at a glance. Not to sound cliché, but they dont seem to make them like they used to.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a 100' that isn't a POS?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Go to Amazon or similar and look up "stainless steel garden hose". I don't recall the name brand on mine but it's a damn good hose. The only bad part with mine is the inside diameter isn't 1/2" or 5/8" so it's not good for projects that need a lot of water.

If you like your hose(s), you can just get new female ends. Something like this.

It's probably been too many years but if there's markings on it to identify the manufacturer, you can contact them. In my experience, they have you provide a photo of the damaged hose then they send you a new one.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
When we bought our first home in 1982, I bought two 50 foot sections of industrial Goodyear black hose with brass fittings. Still have it. Heavy? - yes.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It may sound illogical, but I have had good luck with hoses from Harbor Freight. The black and most expensive they have.
I have 3 of them at 75' and they have been in service over 15 years hanging along my fence so that I have water in the back of the house from the front bib. They are 3/4 diameter, lots of flow.

I also have two other hoses that I use all the time and coil up in the sun. They don't kink and they don't fail. All the same from HF.

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I’ll probably try Harbor Freight first, as I pass one on my way home from work every day…

The hoses I had were Swan Soft and Supple. I tried the same hose new, and they are nowhere near what the old ones were…:-(

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
For years I had a couple of 50ft hoses spliced together in the middle. Never leaked. When we moved three years ago I left it at the old house thinking that after 25 years I could splurge on a new hose. Well, I picked up a supposedly heavy duty 100ft hose. It now has 3 huge blisters ready to burst. Just garbage.

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
For years I had a couple of 50ft hoses spliced together in the middle. Never leaked. When we moved three years ago I left it at the old house thinking that after 25 years I could splurge on a new hose. Well, I picked up a supposedly heavy duty 100ft hose. It now has 3 huge blisters ready to burst. Just garbage.
I know, right?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a few STANLEY hoses, they seem to be better than the junk hoses. Very flexible, so they can kink but so far they are durable, had them about 3 years now.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had the good fortune to have had the same couple garden hoses for the better part of the last 15-20 years, with no issues. Then, as luck would have it, 3 of the 4 seemed to all fail at once last year - leaking from the female fitting where it joins to the hose.
I suggest you repair that fine old hose rather than buy new.
Most hardware stores have garden hose spices along the replacement ends for each end.
Take a small cross section from the old hose with you to the store, and use it to pick the ID size
and repair parts you need.
I have done this for a long time now. It has worked well for me to salvage an old but good quality hose.

kc3tec

Bought one of those wonder hoses the advertise on tv and it lasted exactly 3 weeks before it burst. Our water pressure is 65 psi.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahh yes. I have a good quality 75ft hose that has worked great for 5+ years. At least it did work great till this year when I forgot it was being used to water the garden and ran over it with the mower.
Went to Rural King and got a hose splice kit. Metal hose insert with radiator clamps. Now I have a nice 74.7 ft hose that works great. Repair kits are a cheap fix. .

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I will be buying more of the Harbor freight hose this week. After having it buried in my yard for more than 15 years, I'm going to try the product at Hippie Ridge.

The utility shed/bath house is 70 feet from the camper which is downhill some four feet in elevation. It will house the big tank ( at 10 more feet in height) this winter. A 12 volt pump will push water into the upper, 240 gallon, tank.

We do not as yet have a well so, I truck in 60 gallons in the pickup. And gravity drain it to the camper. We do not use this water for consumption or cooking. Just showers, dishes, and cleaning.

I plan to bury the hose and put a bib near the camper to which I can attach additional hose to fill its internal 40 gallon tank. There is a hose connection on the camper for "city " water. But it requires 40 PSI to open. So, I will just fill the static tank.

The reason I'll use the hose instead of pipe is it doesn't get damaged by freezing. I can bury it just inches under the dirt.

That way I won't take it out with the lawn mower. LOL

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You should be able to find hoses that come with warranties. Save the receipt and the packaging and return them to the store as many times as needed. Most hardware stores are pretty easy going with these sort of things these days as long as you show up with the right paperwork.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that my business is shutting down, I'm constantly collecting things we haven't used for a while. To toss, sell or save.

This morning I found two or the 75 foot Harbor Freight hoses lying in the back yard. I must have bought these 15-20 years ago. Still in service and in great shape.

So now I don't have to buy new ones for Hippie Ridge.