• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Firefox sucks up all my memory. Browsing software options?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone else have this problem?

Granted, I have 15 windows open but task manager shows it using over 3 gig. I have excel, word, outlook, adobe... (probably 20 other things) and these, combined only use about a gig.

Thinking of scrapping Firefox. Won't ever go to Google. What are my choices?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
15 windows open?
Hells bells man.
:yum:
Can't help you there dear.
I'm tripping the light fantastic on my phone using Chrome.
Lol

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me rephrase. 15 tabs open. That's all in a day's activity. :) Still shouldn't need 3G of memory.

Bamby

Firefox has been acting up on me also. Fact is I just came back up from a forced restart because it became totally unresponsive. I've read some good things said about Brave and I'm seriously considering trying it out.

Bamby

Well I just did download Brave. Firefox was just spinning its wheels being unresponsive right after a restart and it's time to try something. I have visited two sites so far and thinks are loading as fast as I've ever experienced.

The other night I did the dns hoping that would correct the situation and it did help some but overall Firefox has flubbed up and it ain't what it used to be.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been mainly using my phone or tablet for everything online. My laptop hasn't been used in 4 months.

Granddaughter is done with mine (laptop) since she's completed her courses in homeschooling.
Not sure if I can stand using it now since I'm so used to the phone.
:yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brave? I might have to try that. I'm also a 15+ tab user. Firefox just kept getting worse and worse. I went to the dark side. Google Chrome. It works. I'm boring and not concerned with being tracked .....famous last words. LOL

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wish duck duck go would make a browser. Any browser will track us.
dumb thought ....I use google chrome and search with duck duck go. :pat: LMAO. Duh.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never tried Firefox on the phone but always did on my computers.
Brave too, but since I'm not on the laptop now don't try it.
I can open duckduckgo or Chrome to search, since both are options but now you all got me confused.
Either way, I know I'm being tracked.
Oooh!
Lol

20181204_210710.jpg

20181204_210645.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to confuse PG. Chrome is a browser. If you use that you are using google and will get tracked.
Duck duck go is just a search engine. Using it outside of Chrome and you will not be tracked. Using it in Chrome still seems a better option than google search engine but what all does Chrome collect in the process? I don't know and never considered that until tonight.

Bamby

Well still pretty satisfied with Brave though experiencing some learning curves. Pages are loading much faster everyplace I've visited.

So much so I went and loaded it on my Samsung phone along with duck, duck go as a search engine. Big difference and improvement though admitting I was just putting up with the default BS that was preloaded on the unit. At least now it appears usable..

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I read a couple reviews about Brave and the consensus seems to be that it's not quite robust enough for multiple tabs/windows.

I did an internet search for "firefox using memory". Seems to be quite the issue based on the search results.

Using this page
http://www.techplusme.com/tips-howto/reduce-firefox-memory-usage-using-aboutconfig
I've started tweaking Firefox per the instructions. Still a little too early to tell differences yet.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 6G of RAM. Computer gets sluggish once I use > 4.5G. I look in Task Manager and Firefox is using 3G. :(

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 8G of memory and firefox would use the majority of that. I figure it will use whatever you can give it. I would have to reboot multiple times in a week ....so I went to chrome. Chrome works.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't trust Google in any fashion. I bought a new cell phone. To get all my info, contacts... from my old to the new, the transfer process required transferring everything to Google then download from there on the new phone. You know they kept a copy of everything. That just pisses me off that they think they own everything about you.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't trust Google in any fashion. I bought a new cell phone. To get all my info, contacts... from my old to the new, the transfer process required transferring everything to Google then download from there on the new phone. You know they kept a copy of everything. That just pisses me off that they think they own everything about you.
Android phones are the absolute worst. You have to agree to them tracking you and selling your data. A reporter testing this in NYNY turned off his android and went to 4 or 5 places. Then he returned to the tech site he was working with. They had software to check to see what was sent to google. The software showed it had tracked him even with the phone turned off. :eek:

This was last summer, I was phone shopping and strongly leaning to Android. That helped nudge me back to Apple iPhone. The report did say iPhone is far from perfect but they do not track like google and they do not sell the data they gather like google. So I stayed with iPhone.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
is something wrong with edge for a browser?
When firefox was messing up I first tried MS Edge Browser. I had much the same result with it I was having with Firefox. So I went Chrome.

We all have different browsing habits and needs so I expect we all might see different results. Whatever works for you is A-OK.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Android phones are the absolute worst. You have to agree to them tracking you and selling your data. A reporter testing this in NYNY turned off his android and went to 4 or 5 places. Then he returned to the tech site he was working with. They had software to check to see what was sent to google. The software showed it had tracked him even with the phone turned off. :eek:
I was half listening to the news a few days back and thought I heard something about Google being pulled in front of Congress to address this issue. It's an "expectation of privacy" issue, especially once you turn off tracking.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I was half listening to the news a few days back and thought I heard something about Google being pulled in front of Congress to address this issue. It's an "expectation of privacy" issue, especially once you turn off tracking.

That issue is about you turning off tracking in your default preferences,.... then, if you install other software it , without your knowledge it turns the tracking back on.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm happy with my Android phone, Doc.
Jeff my son has a zippy new iPhone and has nothing but problems with it.
I'd never get one.
When I upgrade it's going to be another Android.

About Google, they do track.
A search for something as simple as a recipe proves that.
I don't have banking apps or anything like that on my phone.
I save some stuff to bookmarks and do a clean and restart the phone often.
Also have Verizon security settings.
That's as safe as I think it gets.
When I start using the laptop again if ever, I'll get Firefox if I can.
If not I have Edge on it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I opened 15 tabs in Firefox and it only took up 1G of ram. Are you running the 64bit version or the 32bit version? Also, what add-ons are you running? Often it's the add-ons that cause issues.

6G is nothing these days. My 7 year old system has 12G and I feel it could use more. My Macbook has 16G.

I would be hesitant to use Chrome - Google is so evil these days.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The memory goes up the more you use the sites/tabs you've opened.
I'm using the 64 bit version.
Only add-on is AdBlock

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Which AdBlock? uBlock Origin is what I'm using. But I also have several others running.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AdBlock+
Have been using it for years. The memory issue started with one of their newer releases, probably 6 months ago.