• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Did You Know ...

chowderman

aka the Whoopiesaurus . . . check out Guinan on STTNG vs the whale struggling with a cane to get down the curb into her limo....

I groan. I'm a Philadelphian - so is Whoopie, Bill Cosby . . so are bunch of other liberal cretins . . .
what an embarrassment . . .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This one seems crazy to me. :bonk:

Did You Know ...

Worldwide, about 20% of all married couples are first cousins.

Both Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin were married to first cousins.
I'd like to see the breakdown by Country or Continent. I'm guessing it would be prevalent in regions with remote towns, villages or tribes.

power1

Did you Know...

Only 1 out of every 14 women and 1 out of every 16 men in America are a natural blond.
Anyone know what blond is? I always thought it was a light color but people are calling me a blond now. I always called my hair brown. Is brown now called blond?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd like to see the breakdown by Country or Continent. I'm guessing it would be prevalent in regions with remote towns, villages or tribes.
100 years ago in the western world, the litters were bigger, and the communities were smaller. So yes, this makes sense.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone know what blond is? I always thought it was a light color but people are calling me a blond now. I always called my hair brown. Is brown now called blond?
I have noticed that trend also. I think of blond as very light hair. Yellowish. I have noticed folks calling any shade of light brown blond. to be brown hair it has to be on the dark side. :bonk:

power1

My favorite uncle used to tell me to be sure and not marry my sister. He was married to his sister and said every time he wanted to get frisky with her she would tell him you can't do something like that to your sister.

chowderman

genealogy is fun!
the married cousins in my maternal side:
g-g-g-grandfather 1777-1845
g-g-grandfather 1806-1862
g-grandfather 1862-1944

except for the last, they were indeed "pioneers" in the Northwest Territory / Ohio
so I guess pickens were slim....?

one brother in the g-g-grandfather, a Reverend,,, had 15 children . . . and smack in the middle of the birth order shows up one "Willam" who is half-brother to (many other) siblings and the sibling records show him as "brother to xxx, half brother to xxx"
frankly I've got my questions about the records concerning 'the good Reverend' . . . .
every generation except mine had one to three "Reverends" . . .

things that can keep you up at night . . .

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
genealogy is fun!
the married cousins in my maternal side:
g-g-g-grandfather 1777-1845
g-g-grandfather 1806-1862
g-grandfather 1862-1944

except for the last, they were indeed "pioneers" in the Northwest Territory / Ohio
so I guess pickens were slim....?

one brother in the g-g-grandfather, a Reverend,,, had 15 children . . . and smack in the middle of the birth order shows up one "Willam" who is half-brother to (many other) siblings and the sibling records show him as "brother to xxx, half brother to xxx"
frankly I've got my questions about the records concerning 'the good Reverend' . . . .
every generation except mine had one to three "Reverends" . . .

things that can keep you up at night . . .
Like I said, back in the day the litters were big and communities were small. 20 miles away was a day's ride.

You picked your future, pain, poison, or pleasure, from relatives.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did You Know ....

Venezuela means "Little Venice".
Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer and map-maker for whom both Americas are named, came up with the name when he sailed into Venezuela's Lake Maracaibo, an inlet of the Caribbean Sea. There he saw huts on stilts, which reminded him of Venice.

Ironman

Did you know…

9F64236D-6E53-48E6-B857-E341513C82BF.jpeg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had no idea of this. I did watch an old Hogan's Hero's the other day and I can sure imagine how this could actually work.

DID YOU KNOW...

Monopoly played an important role in World War II. Escape maps, compasses, and files, were inserted into Monopoly game boards and smuggled into P.O.W camps inside Germany during World War II. Real money for escapees was slipped into the packs of Monopoly money.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did You Know ....

Food tastes different when you're flying.
When you are on an airplane, the cabin is pressurized. This allows you to breathe, as the air thousands of feet in the sky is not as dense as the air on the ground. When the cabin is pressurized, that means the things inside of it are pressurized as well. You are one of those things. This directly affects your senses, especially smell and taste. The pressure can reduce taste bud sensitivity to sweet and salty foods by around 30%.

chowderman

uhmmm, airliner cabin "pressurization" is less than regular atmospheric pressure on the ground . . .
so should that not be considering "depressurization?"

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did You Know ...

Blondes have more hair strands on their head than all other colors. Redheads have the least.
Blondes have as many as 140,000 strands.
Brunettes about 110,000,
Black hair folks have about 107,000 strands
and
Redheads have the least amount, with only about 90,000 strands.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To give credit where credit is due. Most of my 'Did you know' posts come directly from the trivia that lucky trim posts on Net cooking talk daily. Always interesting. Once again this tidbit today comes from LT.

DID YOU KNOW...

As of 2020, seven countries hold half of world's population...

China: 1.459 billion

India: 1.418 billion

United States: 332 million

Indonesia: 277 million

Brazil: 215 million

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Did you know: That if you fold a piece of paper in half 42 times it would reach the moon.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Did you know: That if you fold a piece of paper in half 42 times it would reach the moon.
It's true. I folded a news paper 8 times and that was one inch.
I kept multiplying to 42 and it came out to 16,911,433,048
That equals 469,362,048 yards
That equals 266,910 miles.
The moon is 238,900 miles from the earth.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But as I recall, using human power (no tools), you can't fold a piece of paper in half more than 7 times.