• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Buying another freezer tomorrow ... food price inflation is just nuts

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was a 4-hour run and I have no idea what it cost.
I "think" a natural gas generator run costs are about the same as a comparable sized gas generator. Nat Gas is often preferred because of its convenience.
I'd guess a 24KW genset running gas would be about 2-3 gallons for a 4-hour run so it's about $1.50-2.00 per hour.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I "think" a natural gas generator run costs are about the same as a comparable sized gas generator. Nat Gas is often preferred because of its convenience.
I'd guess a 24KW genset running gas would be about 2-3 gallons for a 4-hour run so it's about $1.50-2.00 per hour.
Thats what I thought. My 10kw diesel burns less than 1/2 gallon an hour.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thats what I thought. My 10kw diesel burns less than 1/2 gallon an hour.
Diesel is more efficient than that natural gas generator. I'm currently on my 2nd N.G. generator. First one lasted 17 years. That included 2 extended power outages that were 5 and 8 days and many dozens of shorter outages that were 1 hour to a couple days. It was not an automatic unit, 26+ years ago those were a new thing for residential properties. So my original N.G. unit was a Briggs & Stratton try-fuel with a manual start and manual switch. My new unit (7 or 8 years old) is a Generac with an auto switch.

The big advantage of the NG generators is simple convenience, especially since most of them have auto switches. Power goes out and the generator has the house up and running in about 45 seconds. Power comes back on at some point and the generator automatically turns off and switches back to the utility company.

Diesel is more efficient that Gasoline.
Gasoline is slightly more efficient than Propane.
Propane is slightly more efficient than Natural Gas.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I have a 50kW Kohler standby generator utilizing a 305 GM using natural gas. I had a 30 hour outage 2 years ago. My power study with no inconvenience (3000sqft house and 2700 sqft garage both heated year around) came out to 13kW normal load with no equipment starts and minimal power usage at the time, I get free gas. The generator at running speed, no load, uses 200cuft of gas, during the outage, Summer storm, it was using right around 325cuft an hour Or a rough total of 10,000cuft. Residential average price in PA is around $13 per 1000cuft soooooo, if I would have had to pay for that 30 hour run, it’d a been ~$130. PA is one of the lower priced states. Video is the generator running, the other is the meter spinning :). Foot note, that meter I found out was rated for 250cuft per hour. I have since put in a big rated for 1000cuft per hour. The generator at full load is spose to use near 800cuft per hour. I’ll never use all 50kW.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW, NG is up big time. I’m agent for a few gas wells and well head prices have increased 4 fold in 6 mos. Hang on folks!

Scored a 1000gal tank with pump today? Now to get it moved and start filling it ……… gradually

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 30KW Onan generator on a trailer for sale if anyone that's quasi-local is interested.
It's probably mid-80's but has been sitting in storage. Straight-6 Ford industrial engine. Currently has no spark.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 30KW Onan generator on a trailer for sale if anyone that's quasi-local is interested.
It's probably mid-80's but has been sitting in storage. Straight-6 Ford industrial engine. Currently has no spark

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gasoline or NG. I just sold a 30kW kohler with a Ford straight 6. I bought it before I found a super deal on my 50, it was in storage for 3+ years.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gas. Before I got it, it was pulled behind a food truck for electrical power.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Gasoline or NG. I just sold a 30kW kohler with a Ford straight 6. I bought it before I found a super deal on my 50, it was in storage for 3+ years.
I had a 50 kw with a Perkins 6 cylinder on propane, I traded a fork lift for it that I had a coupe hundred dollars in. I used it a few times and discovered you couldn't afford to run it if it was free. I got $5,000.00 for it from a Marina needing a backup generator and bought the diesel generator I have now. I have the house and shop on a transfer switch.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Diesel is more efficient that Gasoline.
Gasoline is slightly more efficient than Propane.
Propane is slightly more efficient than Natural Gas.
Agreed with that. Also propane is not a good solution in a disaster as delivery trucks likely will not be able to get to you for a re fill.
Gas and diesel can be carried in via gas cans.
Propane tanks are 80% when full and 10% is considered empty, as you leave some gas. Run it empty and rust, crud, and other nasty stuff can end up in your regulator valve or the engine itself. So a 500 gallon tank is not actually 500 gallons.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed with that. Also propane is not a good solution in a disaster as delivery trucks likely will not be able to get to you for a re fill.
Gas and diesel can be carried in via gas cans.
Propane tanks are 80% when full and 10% is considered empty, as you leave some gas. Run it empty and rust, crud, and other nasty stuff can end up in your regulator valve or the engine itself. So a 500 gallon tank is not actually 500 gallons.
I have 2- 55 gallon drums of diesel I bought along with a drum of gasoline when COVID hit. The diesel will keep forever but I got worried about the gas so I opened it and used it to mow down the property with the brush hog. When I opened it it was as good as the day I put it in. I guess as long as its sealed it lasts longer.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2- 55 gallon drums of diesel I bought along with a drum of gasoline when COVID hit. The diesel will keep forever but I got worried about the gas so I opened it and used it to mow down the property with the brush hog. When I opened it it was as good as the day I put it in. I guess as long as its sealed it lasts longer.
Modern Gasoline is a blend and will break down over time. Use a stabilizer like Sea Foam to keep it together in storage.

With diesel so high priced these days, I am tempted to tap the $1.20 a gallon stuff in my 600 gallon reserve tank. But I won't.

One freezer is full of everything from meat to straw berries
The other is from 1953 and currently in rehab. Door seals and such.

Both are chest style. I also have one refrigerator that is half freezer. It is our daily use unit.

Canned goods I buy by the case. Maybe 200 or so of 303 cans of green beans, cut corn, kraut, potatoes and carrots.

50 lbs of dried beans, and also one of rice, in the freezer with 25 lbs of white sugar and 60 lbs of flour.

Next I am going to bulk up on pastas.

There is a canned meat called "Keystone" of which I have beef, chicken and turkey.

If it is under a year, I'm set for the holocaust.

If more than a year, I got ammo.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is a canned meat called "Keystone" of which I have beef, chicken and turkey.
It is OK
I have beef chunks, ground beef, pork and chicken. It is edible.

The beef chunks are pretty good in beef stews. Pork and chicken are OK.

Ground beef is not so great, best to mix it with real ground beef in a 50%/50% ratio if you have fresh/frozen ground beef.

Got lots of noodles. Both regular dried bulk noodles and also noodle dishes with seasoning (Pasta Roni types) and also noodle meals (like Hamburger Helper)

I have bulk rice of several varieties but honestly prefer flavored packages of things like Zatarain's Spanish Rice, Red Beans & Rice, etc. Cheaper to have the bulk rice, bulk beans, but so much easier to use the pre-packaged stuff. Rather than breaking the seal on bulk containers, I just grab a box (we have cases of them), add water, maybe some sausage or vegetables and cook it. I keep the boxed good in large sealed transparent plastic bins, each is marked on the outside with the type of food inside.

Generally I stock up on what I actually eat.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Careful with the amount of pasta. It starts tasting nasty within a few months of its expiration date.

Yesterday, we finished putting the garden in. If the 30+ tomato plants come in like previous years, we'll get 150-200 quarts of sauce.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We are using the rotation method for some things. That way we are used to the flavors and the food changes.

As For pasta going off, it depends on the quality and packaging.

Semolina flour pasta will keep for two years in polypropylene wrap. But not in a paperboard carton.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Careful with the amount of pasta. It starts tasting nasty within a few months of its expiration date.
I have not noticed that. Then again, as we store what we normally eat, we rotate through it. Not sure if any of it is expired or has ever expired.

But "odd tastes" are one of the reasons why I store similar foods together in sealed storage bins. For some items I go through the trouble of vacuum packing them for added protection. Indian foods and spices are kept away from Spanish foods/spices, which are kept away from bulk food, etc. etc. etc.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
One note, The bottom of my chest freezers are lined with bottle water. Gallons and in 12 oz single serve.

This gives me a heat sink and longer storage if the power goes out. Also a reserve of potable water.

Your freezers will last longer and use less power if they are full. Especially chest style freezers. Potable water is cheap and yet,,,,; essential.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, after doing the (last ) yearly maintenance on the comm sites, I thought a post in order. When friends ask about what to buy, I steer them to the dual fuel gas/propane units. Propane doesn't go bad. Even with stabilizer gas does. The two or three propane jugs for barbecues will get them through the normal day outages. If it looks like a long term outage then seek gasoline. at end run till dry then end with propane.

On diesel: we had a bunch of fails to load check a few years ago. Turns out Bio diesel has a ~~2 year shelf life. It is not stable. Once upon a time we simply topped off the tanks each year and that worked well. We did it during the historic low $$ time, after harvest, after vacation, but before heating. Now, we have to pump off the tanks yearly and refill. By doing it yearly the diesel is still 'good' and we use it in the motor pool trucks. Once we did this, the same gensets had no problem passing load tests. This is B10-B15 blends. I'm not against the bio there have been some good research that the soap in bio adds the lubricity that we lost when the sulfur was removed. But it's not the diesel I grew up with.

And for the efficiency freaks, When I lived on the mountain where I was guaranteed at least a 2 week outage each year, and had several 28 day outages. I had a second radiator inside the forced air duct of the house, and insulated coolant pipes between the generator house and the house. A transfer valve and I used the "waste heat" from the genset to heat the house. Doing that my cost was very close to the commercial power price.