• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bathroom reno.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We have finally settled on a floorplan for the bathroom. We have a contractor hired starting late January. He will do everything except plumbing. We just ordered a tub, sinks and faucets for both the tub and the sinks.

We debated quite a bit on the layout and settled on this. 20210105_140641.jpg

We decided on a freestanding soaker tub without any jets. Ideally we wanted the shower sitting where the tub is but as those are outside walls, plumbing became an issue. So we went with a shower where the current tub is located so we can have jets in the walls.

We're going with a heated floor with grey tiles and white marble tiles in the shower. The sinks will be raised white bowls. All the faucets will be a brushed aluminum look.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good to have a plan!

Good to have a contractor!

We have nothing at this point for our project. No tile picked out. No fixtures. No firm design plan. Probably won't even sit to consider any of it for a couple more weeks. January is a busy month for us, which is why we expect this to be starting in February. About the only thing I can tell you is we will probably be changing from grey marble to ceramic tiles in earth tones of greens & browns

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This is kinda what we're going for. Bench at one end. Jets in the wall. Overhead rainshower head. Separate spray nozzle.

Screenshot_20201228-220628_Google.jpg

Reactions: Doc

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Tiles are chosen. I picked up samples from two different places today. Here is what we decided. The shower walls will be the white marble. The floor is going to be the darker grey. 20210108_175741.jpg

The shower floor will be the mottled grey.

20210108_175614.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Things are progressing well. We haven't started working on the bathroom yet but our contractor will be here next week to start with the demo. We have a plumber lined up as well as any necessary permits required.

We now have sitting in the attached garage waiting for the reno:

2 white raised sinks
2 delta faucets
1 soaker tub
All the tile we will need
2 rain shower heads
5 wall jets

So, for the shower, we debated the layout and finally decided on dual overhead 8" rain shower with separate controls. Her side will have just the overhead nozzle. Mine will have 3 spray nozzles in a vertical line on the wall with a separate tap. There will be a bench on one end with a handheld spray nozzle and 2 wall jets vertical lined up with my back. The wall jets help relax my back muscles. Oh. We're doing a heated floor in the whole bathroom. As well, we're debating a heated shower bench seat.

Ceee

Site Supporter
2 delta faucets
I like Delta faucets because I've had really good luck with them. My original-to-the house bathroom faucets were Delta, and they were still going strong when I replaced them. We never had any problems with them for about 20 yrs. I was going from polished brass to brushed nickel, so they had to go.
I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So am I. Lol. What will suck is having to use the small hallway bathroom while it's under construction. It's just a small bathroom with a counter barely wide enough for one sink. Toilet right next to it. And a tub next to it. Very little floor space. Enough for one person to turn around in.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob decided she wanted all new carpeting in the house instead go the bathroom. Less work for me! But probably just as big a check to cash.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We only have carpet in the bedrooms. And it's all new. Actually, the whole house has new flooring. We refinished the hardwood floors last summer. The kitchen got new quarts counters in the fall. The bathroom downstairs was new when we bought the house. Even the furnace and roof are new within the past 4 years. So the only thing left is the master bathroom and eventually a full upstairs repaint when the kids are gone.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So am I. Lol. What will suck is having to use the small hallway bathroom while it's under construction. It's just a small bathroom with a counter barely wide enough for one sink. Toilet right next to it. And a tub next to it. Very little floor space. Enough for one person to turn around in.
Yeah, lining with and during construction is a b!tch. Our mast bath took over a year to complete. We used the half bath ( 4' X 6')off the master bedroom and the Guest bath in the basement. It is a very nicely done large bath (5' X 15' with a closet toilet) off a beautiful "Garden" apartment. But a long walk from the upstairs master bedroom.

Somewhere in my house and for over 45 years, there has been something under new construction/remodel. Grandpa loves this hammer swinging stuff. The family is kinda used to it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Tell me about the construction. Sheesh. We moved in last year. A few months later we redid the hardwood floors which meant repacking and moving basically the whole upstairs. Then moving it all back a week later. Then we did new counters in the kitchen. Now it's our bathroom.

The toilet in the hall bathroom was original to the house. So yesterday I picked up a new one and replaced it since I have to use it for the next month.

Oh, and we were talking to the cabinet place that did the kitchen counters for quotes on the bathroom. She who must be obeyed came up with a brainwave idea to have them build a 10ft bank of cabinets to go along the half wall between the dining room and living room. That also includes a 10 section of quartz countertop. So today we spent time moving a china cabinet from the dining room to the front family room to make room for the new cabinets. See where this is going? Now the bathroom will be ripped apart along with the dining room. Always something on the go. And we're in talks about building a gazebo on the deck off the master bedroom this summer to house a hot tub.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Tell me about the construction. Sheesh. We moved in last year. A few months later we redid the hardwood floors which meant repacking and moving basically the whole upstairs. Then moving it all back a week later. Then we did new counters in the kitchen. Now it's our bathroom.

The toilet in the hall bathroom was original to the house. So yesterday I picked up a new one and replaced it since I have to use it for the next month.

Oh, and we were talking to the cabinet place that did the kitchen counters for quotes on the bathroom. She who must be obeyed came up with a brainwave idea to have them build a 10ft bank of cabinets to go along the half wall between the dining room and living room. That also includes a 10 section of quartz countertop. So today we spent time moving a china cabinet from the dining room to the front family room to make room for the new cabinets. See where this is going? Now the bathroom will be ripped apart along with the dining room. Always something on the go. And we're in talks about building a gazebo on the deck off the master bedroom this summer to house a hot tub.
The Hot Tub Gazebo is a great idea. Especially in your climate.

I'm stuck in the new workshop project as I plan to build in shelving and add an octagon window at the front wall. In this cold I keep finding diversions on little "Other" projects inside the house where it is warmer. Opening that front wall to add a window in single negative digits is a bit challenging for these old bones.

Ceee

Site Supporter
She who must be obeyed came up with a brainwave idea to have them build a 10ft bank of cabinets to go along the half wall between the dining room and living room. That also includes a 10 section of quartz countertop.
I like She who must be obeyed's idea....storage, storage, storage. After it all comes together, I bet you'll like it too.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The bathroom is emptied out and ready for demo tomorrow. The cabinets and toilet will be reused. New quartz counters with white raise sinks will be installed. Most existing cabinets are being reused.

When looking in to the bathroom, currently we see the shower and toilet. That's where a new freestanding tub will be located.

20210207_100147.jpg20210207_100247.jpg20210207_100939.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We started at 9am removing all the cabinets and toilet. Then moved on to the tub after lunch. By 4pm the tiles were on their way out. Now we're building a temporary wall with a door to close off the bathroom and

20210208_130233.jpg20210208_134600.jpg20210208_161928.jpg

Ceee

Site Supporter
Along the pony wall in the second picture, we're having cabinets and counter installed for extra storage and counter space.
Perfect place for the extra cabinets and still plenty of room from the chairs to be pulled out from the table. I know all that other stuff is a pita.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. Plus, we have things we never use because it's a pta to haul out and put away so it'll be nice for it to have a home that's easily accessible instead of packing it away somewhere and dragging it up from the basement when we want to use it.

Meanwhile on the reno front, I'm taking a break today for the most part but work continues. The floor tiles are coming up and the shower is coming down. 20210209_103416.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's down to bare walls and floor. The tiles are all removed. Now we're starting to frame in the new shower area and half walls on each side of the new toilet location.

Back to the flooring. We had discussed and planned for electric in floor heating. I got to talking with my physiotherapist about it this morning and he suggested that since we have a boiler for heating the rest of the house, why not tie into that system and have the boiler provide the heat. That's what we're looking into now before proceeding any further.

20210211_064956.jpg20210211_065004.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing too exciting to show yet. We framed in the shower and toilet area. We're still waiting on an answer for the heated floor before proceeding. The electricians were here today sorting out the wiring. It's all ready for the light fixtures when they arrive. The ceiling lights were relocated and the wiring for the vanity is ready to wire in lights. 20210216_190550.jpg20210216_190602.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Progress is slow and steady on the bathroom. The electrical is ready. Lights relocated. The old shower location is drywalled and has a couple coats of mud. The shower is all framed.

20210219_082755.jpg20210219_082805.jpg20210219_082814.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The shower and toilet areas are now drywalled and ready for mud. There's only so much we can do this week as we're waiting for the plumber on Friday to come do all the rough in plumbing. Then things will really start to take shape and come together.

20210224_202835.jpg20210224_202849.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Progress on the shower. Our contractor cut and did a quick prefit of the backing panels. They're just held in with a couple screws as they have to come out to install the plumbing. He did get the floor in the shower mudded in preparation for the floor tiles as those can be done before the plumbing.

20210226_123123.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It is nice stuff. Even the door cap is made of it. The old shower was just a couple of 2x4s that were tiled over. Of course the grout cracked and allowed water to seep through. That's what started the whole reno. We figured that if we have to rebuild the shower, we'll do it right and start from scratch with a floorplan that makes more sense.